Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medical Insurance

Medical Insurance

Old Jun 21st 2006, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice
Default Medical Insurance

Hi

I found out last night that you should really get Medical Insurance over here (apparently you have to pay to call out an ambulance!). Seems like a minefield of information to get through. Has anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks

SS
Old Jun 21st 2006, 11:31 pm
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Insurance

Originally Posted by SuperSeagulls
Hi

I found out last night that you should really get Medical Insurance over here (apparently you have to pay to call out an ambulance!). Seems like a minefield of information to get through. Has anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks

SS
We're just about to organise Health insurance as well, after looking at several options, they all work out at similar prices, i think we'll end up going with Medibank, website is www.medibank.com.au dont know if its any better or worse than the others, hopefully someone can add some input here
Old Jun 21st 2006, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Rangersman is a glorious beacon of light

I called iselect who are like a broker and they recommended us Australian Unity. Also if you are over 30 you pay a loading on medicare which increases with age, as a new permanent resident you have a year to sort out health insurance. There is a year waiting period for any pre-existing conditons before you can claim so I'd advise get it as soon as possible after getting here and you can then cvhange companies if you find a better one, and they tfansfer your time accumulated with other company. We didn't get it until a month ago and we could have had 8 months already gone on pre-existing conditions.
Physio cost me this week $56 I only paid $16.80 health insurance paid for the rest.
Podiatrist cost me $100 for 2 treatments. (Orthotics- insoles custom made cost $540) it soon adds up.
I figure if I'd have to pay loading anyway I might as well pay the money and get health cover.
Nicola
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Thanks for the advice - I'l have a look.

Someone told me that I could be looking to pay $150 a month for a couple, does this sound about right?

SS
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

Macquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really nice

Someone told me that I could be looking to pay $150 a month for a couple, does this sound about right?

SS
Depends on what level of cover you choose. We have fairly high level of cover including extras (dental, chiro etc) and it costs $148 month for a family but you can start out with just the bare minimum cover if you want until you've worked out whats best for you.
To be honest we feel that its worth it - even adding the Medicare levy to the cost it still works out less than the 10% NI contribution we used to pay in the UK.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 5:37 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

SS
We've just taken out cover with Medibank for a family - 2 adults and a child at $149 a month. We've got basic hospital cover but "Blue Ribbon" Extras cover. It's worth looking at them as currently (until 31 July) they have waived their 2 and 6 month waiting periods. This means we'll get something back on some expensive dental work we have booked for the next couple of months
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 8:21 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

My view is .... www.hba.com.au
Good luck
Bart
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Fardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the rough

Two broker sites to look at - both compare the premiums and coverage for about 40 registered health funds. The first is www.hica.com.au and second is www.iselect.com.au which has been mentioned above - hica seems more personal and it's easier to talk to a "real person". Results are the same.

Personally, I joined Choice (www.choice.com.au) - the Australian consumer organisation which costs about $15 per quarter and used their health fund recommendations which look at the State your living in, family vs. single cover etc., etc., then bought through an online broker. Choice was also useful because there were a lot of brand names in OZ which were unfamiliar when it came to buying household good s and I didn't have a feel for what was "good" value or quality.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks everyone.

SS
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 12:46 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Macquarie
Depends on what level of cover you choose. We have fairly high level of cover including extras (dental, chiro etc) and it costs $148 month for a family but you can start out with just the bare minimum cover if you want until you've worked out whats best for you.
To be honest we feel that its worth it - even adding the Medicare levy to the cost it still works out less than the 10% NI contribution we used to pay in the UK.
We pay $250 a month:scared: don't think we have that high a level. I wonder why it costs you $100 less. My hubby is an old fart and will turn 40 next year an d I am 33 is it an age thing do you know? We have 2 kids. Which cover are you on?

LJJ
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljj
We pay $250 a month:scared: don't think we have that high a level. I wonder why it costs you $100 less. My hubby is an old fart and will turn 40 next year an d I am 33 is it an age thing do you know? We have 2 kids. Which cover are you on?

LJJ
Hi,

I am 39 and hubby 43 - 2 kids 19 and 15 - we have NRMA and are just covered for ambulance and dental work. Medicare covers everything else anyhow.

We pay $78 per quarter. I go to visit the dentist - sometimes comes to $120 - NRMA pay $60 back. worth if for the dental and ambulance cover.

Sarah
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 2:07 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sasbear
Hi,

I am 39 and hubby 43 - 2 kids 19 and 15 - we have NRMA and are just covered for ambulance and dental work. Medicare covers everything else anyhow.

We pay $78 per quarter. I go to visit the dentist - sometimes comes to $120 - NRMA pay $60 back. worth if for the dental and ambulance cover.

Sarah
I was teasing about hubby being an old fart incase he read the thread!!!

Do they pay half for dental work? or a certain amount each year? My daughter is approaching her teenage years and I have already been told by our dentist that they are looking at braces in the future for her and my son has 'overcrowding'. Bit frightenend of a HUGE dental bill and not getting much back.

I have searched on the website so I will look into it.

LJJ
Old Jun 26th 2006, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi everyone

I'm a bit confused by all this.

If I break my leg playing football do I need Mideical Insurance to get it seen to?

Or is Medical treatment only needed for things like detal, eyes and ambulances?

Thanks

SS
Old Jun 26th 2006, 1:06 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

I'm a bit confused by all this.

If I break my leg playing football do I need Mideical Insurance to get it seen to?

Or is Medical treatment only needed for things like detal, eyes and ambulances?

Thanks

SS
Hospitals are free.

If you take an ambulance you will have to pay for it (unless you are in QLD).

In Vic the traffic authority (RTA) pays for the ambulance if you are in a car accident.

Old Jun 26th 2006, 1:08 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ljj

LJJ
$250 sounds like too much. We pay about $125 for a family of 6 and a medium level of cover.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.