Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medical forms & questions

Medical forms & questions

Old Apr 7th 2002, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

kango_jack will become famous soon enoughkango_jack will become famous soon enough
Default Medical forms & questions

Hi
We having been trying to get copies of the medical forms required - we sent our application in February and thought we would go ahead and start the ball rolling on our medicals and police checks.
Looking at the immi.gov.au site we can only find the forms 26 and 160 for people who are already based in Australia. We have read on the UK site that you can request them by e-mail but their mail system must be down as it has been returned undelivered. The only other option is to write to London direct which we are sure will take ages.
We know that there is a local doctor who will complete the exam and x-rays - does anyone know if they are likely to have the necessary forms?
Also we have a 10 month old baby - will he have to have the medicals and x-rays done?
Finally does anyone know roughly how much the medicals and x-rays cost and how soon they are ready?
Thanks for any help offered.
Regards
Paul & Annie
Old Apr 7th 2002, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

saunders is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Medical forms & questions

we have just booked our medicals & were given a list of nominated doctors & radiographers who are allowed to undertake the examinations, you have to go to one of these, and I beleive that children under 11 don't have to have an x-ray. In our family they have asked my husband to have an x-ray only, myself & 2 children of 16 & 13 to have both x-ray & medical & my 9 yr old just a medical. We were told reasons for this being I will be working in a hospital and children in full time education, nothing was said about husband who will be looking for a job in building on our arrival !! The total cost of this is £500. I checked prices with 3 different doctors & all were within £10 of each other. All also quite busy & having to wait 3 weeks for suitable appointment (Though this might be because there are 5 of us to fit in.) Hope this helps.
Old Apr 7th 2002, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

kango_jack will become famous soon enoughkango_jack will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the info, are you taking copies of the forms with you or are they being supplied from the doctors?
Old Apr 7th 2002, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

saunders is an unknown quantity at this point

our forms were given to us from australia house when we handed in the visa application ( we are applying for a 457 business long stay visa so will probably be different if applying for a different type of visa, you might save money if you wait for them to tell you when to get medicals in case they only want one of you to be checked, I 'm not sure )
Old Apr 7th 2002, 6:05 pm
dpr

dpr is an unknown quantity at this point

We had ours done in Oxford (approx Dec 2001) and for the two of us it cost just under £300 (Approx £100 PER med exam and £90 for the two sets of X rays). You must have your X rays with you when you go for your medicals (it is possible to get it all done in one day but if you live close to one of the panel doctors it is probably more practical to get your X rays first and then go directly to your appts on a different day?).

We were sent our medical reports (sealed) within about 5 days of the exam. Apparently this time varies as it is dependant upon the doctor getting lab results back from the blood tests

The list of panel doctors/radiologists can be downloaded from the website. we got our forms from London after an email request to them (the forms were posted to us pretty quickly) However with everything moving to Adelaide I am not sure whether this is still possible?

hope this helps

dpr
Old Apr 7th 2002, 7:26 pm
ndaltonb

dpr,

thanxs for this, I was just about to ask this dumb question.

Nigel db

Originally posted by dpr
You must have your X rays with you when you go for your medicals

Old Apr 7th 2002, 7:48 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Hi All,

We got our medical forms from our agent. We all had to have a medical, thats myself, my husband and our little girl who was one at the time. My husband and myself had also to have chest x-rays and blood tests done. The x-rays were done before we went to see the doctor. Our cost £230 for the lot, I think that the charge depends on the doctor, but correct me if I am wrong.

Anyhow everything was very straight forward and we had no problems at all.

Susan
Old Apr 7th 2002, 8:50 pm
George Lombard

Hi Kango Jack,

The required forms 26 and 160 must be issued by the Adelaide Skilled Processing
Centre or Australia House or sent to you by someone, because a) they cannot be
downloaded and b) they are designed to be sealed. No panel doctor is likely to hold
these forms (although I am sure some do).

Further, you have to go to a "panel doctor", and these are listed at
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/doctors/index.htm

Finally, whether you choose to do your medical now depends on your category of visa
application. Many non-IT skilled visa applications will take more than 12 months to
be cleared (this is a statistical reflection only, I don't claim any insight into
future processing times , so doing the medicals now might involve the risk that you
need to do them again.

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au.

>Thanks for the info, are you taking copies of the forms with you or are they being
    >supplied from the doctors?
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com