Medical cover

Old Oct 4th 2004, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

markr1963 is a jewel in the roughmarkr1963 is a jewel in the roughmarkr1963 is a jewel in the roughmarkr1963 is a jewel in the rough
Question Medical cover

I've seen some of the ads at the top of this site but can anyone give me some ideas about medical cover in Perh, WA? I'm here on a spouse's visa that gives me 2yrs temp residency. AFAIK I don't qualify for medicare so I guess private insurance is the way to go but what's the best deal?

TIA
Mark
Old Oct 5th 2004, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Medical cover

Hi Mark

We are on private hospital care (we qualify for medicare but you will be penalised through taxes if you earn over a certain threshold and don't have private). Try www.hba.com.au or www.medibank.com.au, if memory serves both will give you an online quote. We are with HBA and they are ok, nothing great but my suspicions are that they are all the same really.
Old Oct 5th 2004, 2:40 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical cover

Originally Posted by markr1963
I've seen some of the ads at the top of this site but can anyone give me some ideas about medical cover in Perh, WA? I'm here on a spouse's visa that gives me 2yrs temp residency. AFAIK I don't qualify for medicare so I guess private insurance is the way to go but what's the best deal?

TIA
Mark

I have a tempory visa (though different type) and have a Medicare card. I suggest you go into a MEdicare office first and see if you can register - you don't HAVE to have private health insurance.
Old Oct 5th 2004, 2:47 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

TIA
Mark

Theres no reason why you wouldnt get medicare. I got it when I was here on my WHV and now I am here on the 2yr de facto I still hold a valid medicare card.
As suggested, go and take your passport down to a medicare office. They'll be able to tell you there if you qualify or not. Can't see why you wouldnt.
Old Oct 5th 2004, 3:10 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

TIA
Mark
I'm on exactly the same visa as you, and I get Medicare cover. As Michelle says, take your passport to a medicare office, if you're entitled, you'll be on their computer.
Old Oct 5th 2004, 3:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'm on exactly the same visa as you, and I get Medicare cover. As Michelle says, take your passport to a medicare office, if you're entitled, you'll be on their computer.
Temporary spouse visa holders (but not fiance visa holders, necessarily) are normally entitled to Medicare.

Jeremy
Old Oct 5th 2004, 8:28 am
Just Joined

markr1963 is a jewel in the roughmarkr1963 is a jewel in the roughmarkr1963 is a jewel in the roughmarkr1963 is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Medical cover

Thanks everyone. The g/f went by Medicare this morning and has an application form for me to fill in I'll be checking out the links in this thread in due course.

Mark