Medical Costs.

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 9:45 am
Just Joined

BostonHouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Medical Costs.

Just wondered what the medical costs are in the UK and what the medical involves (Hopefully nothing intrusive)?
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

peterankin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Medical Costs.

Hi There
I paid around £300 for me, my wife and one child. The examination was very basic, chest x-ray blood sample, weight check, you get your body squeezed and that is about it.

Only concern was my weight as I measured 31 on the Body Mass Index which mean I was a fatty, but the doctor assured me this would only be a problem if I was grosley obese. Thankfully I am 6 feet 5 inches tall and built like a brick s**t house so everything is OK.

You realy need not worry about meds. I think they just want to make sure you are not going to be a drain on there NHS

Cheers
Pete & Family

(4 Weeks to go Hopefully)
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 10:39 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BostonHouse
Just wondered what the medical costs are in the UK and what the medical involves (Hopefully nothing intrusive)?
We paid £400 for the 3 of us in Brighton. The Medical was very thorough, reminded me of my army medical (not quite as bad though). I think they are looking for serious conditions like TB & HIV.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

lau and mart is an unknown quantity at this point

We have just had our medicals and paid 525.00 for two adults and two kids. we had to have extra blood tests done as we both have tatoos. medicals were fine doc not interested in minor aches and pains, looking for anything serious that may cost the state money to treat.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

we paid £500 for the 3 of us perhaps we were unlucky but our meds were quite thorough

1. blood pressure
2. blood tests (for hiv)
3. urine tests
4. full breast exam
5. neurological exam
6. cough and drop
7. hernia exam
8. smear test
9. hep b blood test
10. eye test
10. chest exam (for tb)

and full accounts from drs of any other med history but however all these are normally passed with flying colours and if not then you know you have something wrong at an early atage and and get it checked out

arlene
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 6:51 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Originally posted by BostonHouse

My husband paid £124.00 for his, that was for the xray and blood tests.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nice

Originally posted by arlene
we paid £500 for the 3 of us perhaps we were unlucky but our meds were quite thorough

1. blood pressure
2. blood tests (for hiv)
3. urine tests
4. full breast exam
5. neurological exam
6. cough and drop
7. hernia exam
8. smear test
9. hep b blood test
10. eye test
10. chest exam (for tb)

and full accounts from drs of any other med history but however all these are normally passed with flying colours and if not then you know you have something wrong at an early atage and and get it checked out

arlene
No Arlene - you were lucky to have a thorough medical

You must have a chest Xray as well.

BTW it has to be drop and cough, not cough and drop which is your hernia exam too.
Fees should be about £100 per peep for medical, about £25 for blood tests and £40 for chest Xray, so if you are quoted more than about £170 PP I would shop around.
BTW smear test is not required by the regulations but the result of one that you may have had previously should be obtained by the doctor from your GP.
Generally the medicals are a bit of a formality unless you have got a serious problem.

(Yep I'm a GP for my sins)

Peter