Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medic on the Gold Coast -HELP!!!

Medic on the Gold Coast -HELP!!!

Old Jan 24th 2014, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

dr_steve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medic on the Gold Coast -HELP!!!

Hello everyone

I am keen to get opinions from you guys on a range of things on my mind about moving to Gold Coast in August to be a psychiatry doctor with my same sex partner.

1. I see Brisbane and GC have an established gay clientele and whilst myself and my fella aren't 'screaming' we don't want to feel like we can't live on a normal suburban street without risk of aggro. Any comments on this?

2. My salary will be around 85-95k per annul and my other half will seek work out there (likely service or retail depending on the work situation) is this enough for two people to live on?

3. I'm aiming for a rental of around $500/week I think this is manageable. Where do people suggest. The hospital is near Labrador and whilst I don't want to live in a British compound where else do people suggest please.

4. We will arrive with 4 suitcases and a couple of grand to get essentials - likely from Ikea lol- I see most apartments and some houses have white goods and we need a big bed and a sofa and the base essentials. Any comments or problems with this?

5. Is heading to Brisbane of an evening for dinner or drinks too much like hard work?

6. I hear GC is boisterous - is it a pain in the ass? Lol

7. I was warned off this location due to the HIGH humidity levels and hear horror stories of people passing out due to it. That bad?

8. I would welcome any other tips or comments. We are both in our mid 30's and outgoing. Would love to make plenty of friends. Any tips on how to do this over and above being thoroughly charming?!

Many thanks

Steve
Old Jan 24th 2014, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medic on the Gold Coast -HELP!!!

Do a physical job in 35 degrees on a humid day without issues. Apart from hail wrecking your car the climate is perfect for humans.

The Gold Coast is so diverse it can be as boisterous as you want or the complete opposite.

Almost everybody living here has come from somewhere else so being accepted is simply not a problem. Obviously avoid rednecks but other than that all good.

Reading your post I doubt you will regret moving here it's a good place.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

stuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Steve,

I work in the same field as you, I'm based up in Brisbane. Once you've made a few more posts it will let you PM me if you have any questions about QLD Health etc.

RE:
1 - can't imagine you would have much drama, although I wouldn't be too keen to test the theory in more deprived neighbourhoods. I'm not too sure which suburbs are fancy and which are not down at the Goldie.

2 - yes I'd say the two of you can comfortably 'survive' on that salary. Everything seems expensive here at first and if you like to pack in a lot of travelling etc. another income would obviously help. When it comes to paying the bills, keeping a roof over your head and feeding the two of you your financial management would be shocking if you couldn't do it on that salary Also if you are working at PHO / reg level your salary will be supplemented by your on call pay at that can be quite significant.

3 - realestate.com.au and domain.com.au should have plenty of rentals listed to give you an idea of prices

4 - will you be buying a car? 2nd hand cars are nowhere near as cheap as the UK. Check out carsales.com.au - hairdryer options include the Hyundai Getz and Holden Barina, for the budget end of the market.

5 - if the Pacific motorway is jammed up yes, if it's flowing nicely Brissie is easily accessible. Please note when driving on this motorway you should remain in the right hand lane at all times and when exiting left should sweep across all lanes of traffic at the last possible moment. For some reason there seems to be quite a few accidents on this stretch of motorway and traffic jams are forever being reported on the peak hour traffic bulletins.

6 - if you lived right in the centre of the tourist areas such as Surfer's Paradise I would imagine it would soon get annoying. But there are vast amounts of people leading non party lives in the more sensible suburbs down there.

7 - I love the climate! The humidity brings amazing storms with it which are pretty fun to watch. The heat is not for everyone, but I can't say I've seen people toppling over in the street because of it. Most people manage by drinking fluids and sitting in the shade, lol. On the most oppressive days aircon or a good fan is needed to get a decent night's rest and stop you from waking up at 1am in a puddle of sweat. I would recommend renting somewhere that has aircon so you've at least got the option to put it on.

8 - I made a few friends through a social gathering site meetup.com, if you are sporty it's probably easy to make friends through getting out and joining teams. A few of my friends take part in parkrun (parkrun.com.au) - all abilities 5km run. I'm pretty sure there is one down at the Gold Coast if that floats your boat.

Hope some of that is useful.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 4:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Many places to live without going near Surfers if you don't want to. It is only Surfers that's 'boisterous'. As for humidity, I find maybe a couple of days a year are what I'd call high but for the most part, it's way lower than Brisbane and further north, it's almost a perfect climate to me but we're all different and I'm honestly shocked when people tell me it's unbearably humid so who knows We never use our air con but rely happily on open windows and doors and ceiling fans.

As for trouble related to being gay, Those I know have never had issues. Obviously there are dickheads everywhere and some will cause grief but it's certainly not the norm.

No one can really suggest the best place to live because we all want/like different vibes. I'm happily down the bottom end and can't imagine living further north than Burleigh but others prefer anywhere other than here. Horses for courses and all that.

Good luck, I love it here, hope you do too.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 4:54 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dr_steve
4. We will arrive with 4 suitcases and a couple of grand to get essentials - likely from Ikea lol- I see most apartments and some houses have white goods and we need a big bed and a sofa and the base essentials. Any comments or problems with this?
A couple of grand isn't going to go far even just for essentials (well, not when you're presumably talking about furnishing a place?)

Check out prices online to give yourself an idea of how much you're practically going to need.

I don't particularly know about the Gold Coast, but most of the rentals we looked at in Qld had an oven/hob and a dishwasher.. some of them had a microwave.. but that was the extent of the included appliances. Don't forget to factor that into your equations (unless you're going furnished, of course )
Old Jan 26th 2014, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Sydney but I go to Brisbane for a day or two virtually every other week and I am on the GC for the first time this weekend.

So humidity, well yes it can be hot and humid but even I have never felt like anything close to passing out because of it and I would have always classed myself as someone who did not particularly like hot weather. I do think you adapt and get used to hotter weather too, although it will never make humidity nice.

We came to Gold Coast for first time this weekend, we just came because we thought we should just once at least. I think I was expecting something like either Blackpool or Benidorm. But it is not really, Surfers is nowhere near as crowded as I thought it would be, considering it is a public holiday and I think still school holidays. We are staying further along at Broadbeach (2 or 3 km) from Surfers and the beaches down here are beautiful and more or less empty. So all in all quite a pleasant surprise.

Which are you moving to, Brisbane or Gold Coast (I don't know Labrador)..
Old Jan 26th 2014, 9:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts

Which are you moving to, Brisbane or Gold Coast (I don't know Labrador)..
Labrador is just behind Surfers.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Labrador is just behind Surfers.
By 'behind' I assume you mean 'north of'.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 10:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by lesleys
By 'behind' I assume you mean 'north of'.
Yes or very strictly speaking NW (slightly) Anyway it's not in Brissie

Last edited by moneypenny20; Jan 26th 2014 at 10:16 am.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all

We have two labradors and used to live in Labrador, apart from the name, Labrador the place is not a fluffy beautiful place. We lived on the Broadwater in an apartment which was gated. Two streets behind, Frank Street is the one of the drug harbours of the Goldy. Still loved Labrador, you can get to Surfers on a bus in 15 mins but you might want to look around at areas like Helensvale, Paradise Point, Hope Island and travel in. You can get to Brissie on the train, but its over an hour and a little random late at night. It gets very hot, thats why ur coming isnt it? Air con is cool lol and expensive as electricity prices over here is like buying plutonium! 85 to 90 is ok, think 60 is the average but people live on less. Another income would put u right tho. Cant comment on the gay part but I have a gay friend who always says the PITA work and it makes me chuckle lol, but I imagine surfers/broadbeach has some gay clubs, just never looked for them. Although just did and found Escape Bar, Sin City and Closet (australian naming or what lol)
Old Jan 28th 2014, 6:35 am
Just Joined

Thanks all for the replies.

I know it's a daft question but how did you guys handle arriving to an empty place? I assume we will build up possessions as we go - like being youngsters again starting out - did anyone else do this?

So Labrador might be an area to miss lol. I would try and live near Gold Coast uni hospital or the other site at robina.

Originally Posted by seanpears99
We have two labradors and used to live in Labrador, apart from the name, Labrador the place is not a fluffy beautiful place. We lived on the Broadwater in an apartment which was gated. Two streets behind, Frank Street is the one of the drug harbours of the Goldy. Still loved Labrador, you can get to Surfers on a bus in 15 mins but you might want to look around at areas like Helensvale, Paradise Point, Hope Island and travel in. You can get to Brissie on the train, but its over an hour and a little random late at night. It gets very hot, thats why ur coming isnt it? Air con is cool lol and expensive as electricity prices over here is like buying plutonium! 85 to 90 is ok, think 60 is the average but people live on less. Another income would put u right tho. Cant comment on the gay part but I have a gay friend who always says the PITA work and it makes me chuckle lol, but I imagine surfers/broadbeach has some gay clubs, just never looked for them. Although just did and found Escape Bar, Sin City and Closet (australian naming or what lol)
Old Jan 28th 2014, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dr_steve
Thanks all for the replies.

I know it's a daft question but how did you guys handle arriving to an empty place? I assume we will build up possessions as we go - like being youngsters again starting out - did anyone else do this?

So Labrador might be an area to miss lol. I would try and live near Gold Coast uni hospital or the other site at robina.
Many of us do "indoor camping" whilst we wait for container to arrive with furniture.

We bought an airbed, one set of bedding that would be washed in morning and then go back on at end of day, one set of towels, a cheap set of crockery etc. After a week or so we bought the outdoor furniture setting as we weren't shipping any, so we used that indoors for a few weeks.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 6:49 am
Just Joined

Many of us do "indoor camping" whilst we wait for container to arrive with furniture.

We bought an airbed, one set of bedding that would be washed in morning and then go back on at end of day, one set of towels, a cheap set of crockery etc. After a week or so we bought the outdoor furniture setting as we weren't shipping any, so we used that indoors for a few weeks.
I wouldn't be bringing a container lol so the indoor camping might last a while
Old Jan 28th 2014, 7:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

The trouble with being too close to the hospital is that the Uni is bang next door so lots of students around. No where is a long drive, would you prefer to be very close to water (either ocean or waterway) or away? Do you want a quiet suburb with easy links to lively or do you want lively? Will you be looking for a unit (flat) or a house? Will you be spending most of your time up at the new hospital, or Robina? Take a look around Mermaid, Burleigh Waters sort of area. Fairly reasonable rental prices, close to beaches, easy to get to Surfers etc but a bit of a trek to Brisssie.

As an example I'm right near the border, it takes me about 35 minutes to the new hospital and about 15 to Robina Hospital so the choice is fairly large.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

We came to Gold Coast for first time this weekend, we just came because we thought we should just once at least. I think I was expecting something like either Blackpool or Benidorm. But it is not really, Surfers is nowhere near as crowded as I thought it would be, considering it is a public holiday and I think still school holidays. We are staying further along at Broadbeach (2 or 3 km) from Surfers and the beaches down here are beautiful and more or less empty. So all in all quite a pleasant surprise.
Glad you enjoyed your visit, many people will have you believe the Gold Coast is like Sodom and Gomorrah but of course its not, personally I think its the nicest city in Australia, I've seen all the capitals and I moved here from Sydney. Of course it has crime but so do all other cities, very few are as stunning as the GC, although Sydney Harbor is lovely too.

To the OP, take a look at Main Beach if you fancy an oceanfront apartment and a cosmopolitan atmos, not far from Labrador either.

Last edited by coldbeer; Jan 29th 2014 at 3:12 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.