Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mechanical Fitter - trade certificate?

Mechanical Fitter - trade certificate?

Old Feb 18th 2008, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all
Default Mechanical Fitter - trade certificate?

just wondering if anyone can help.

OH is a mechanical fitter. we have our visa's and are coming out to validate in April (as we can't sell the blxxdy house!!)

just having my regular morning fix of oz and I thought I'd have a look at a the job market - see what's on offer etc...

3 out of 4 that I found this morning mentioned a trade certificate? I didn't think he needed anything else.

TRA was approved for the visa process and the oh is aprentice trained - I'm just not sure if he needs to do anything else before or immediatley on landing so that he can start applying for jobs??

apologies in advance if this does not make sense
Old Feb 18th 2008, 10:33 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mechanical Fitter - trade certificate?

Originally Posted by sheli0508

OH is a mechanical fitter. we have our visa's and are coming out to validate in April (as we can't sell the blxxdy house!!)

just having my regular morning fix of oz and I thought I'd have a look at a the job market - see what's on offer etc...

3 out of 4 that I found this morning mentioned a trade certificate? I didn't think he needed anything else.

TRA was approved for the visa process and the oh is aprentice trained - I'm just not sure if he needs to do anything else before or immediatley on landing so that he can start applying for jobs??

I am sure they mean ur Oh's trade cert/papers he would have recieved once doin his aprenticeship. Where u guys moving to and what dicipline is the mechanical fitter?
Old Feb 18th 2008, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by biggy
I am sure they mean ur Oh's trade cert/papers he would have recieved once doin his aprenticeship. Where u guys moving to and what dicipline is the mechanical fitter?

hi, can help you with first but not too sure on the second...

Basically we where thinkinking south brisbane/ gold coast hinterland. I like the look of Jimboomba but we'll know more when we come out in April. it will really come down to where he can get a job.

Oh work history in brief is; he served his 4 year apprenticship at a press making place (joseph rhodes?!?) he was then poached to work as a Service engineer repairing big presses all over Europe. We then had bambino no 1 so he went to work for marshalls (concrete products) as a maintainence engineer. hope this makes more sense to you than it does to me... he's always filthy and he's good a fixing things! lol

He's really open to anything I think although I think it's a case of the bigger the better
Old Feb 18th 2008, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry there's plenty of big dirty things need fixing over here.

They don't normally ask to see your trade papers. Sometimes a copy of your TRA papers might be asked for but generally they just accept a Pom will be trained to at least their standards.

Most engineering firms understand City and Guilds.

Keel
Old Feb 18th 2008, 11:39 am
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said he will just need his CV and City & Guilds certificates. Though to be honest I don't think they even look at it, in the interviews I had they were with other engineers and the "chat" was the deciding factor.

I did have to do an assessment at 1 interview, fill a form in on what I would do in certain situations and write about projects I had worked on etc. The bloke saw my face when I flicked through the 20 odd pages, laughed, and then helped me fill it in so I would get the right score. Keeps the HR happy was his view.

Kev
Old Feb 18th 2008, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Can anyone advise if this will be the same in NSW??
Old Feb 18th 2008, 11:53 am
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

Not sure if I am throwing a spanner in the works here, so forgive me if I am wrong.

My OH is also a Fitter by trade, but once we arrived in Oz he had to apply for a Trade Cert / Trade Licence, this had to be done in Oz, and he had to get this before he could take up employment within his trade. However, I am going back to 81 so things may have changed since then.

He didn't have to sit any further exams etc, but needed to get this little piece of paper to embark on applying and getting a job within his trade.

THIS WAS FOR NSW

Last edited by Blossom; Feb 18th 2008 at 11:54 am. Reason: ADDING INFO
Old Feb 18th 2008, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Blossom
Not sure if I am throwing a spanner in the works here, so forgive me if I am wrong.

My OH is also a Fitter by trade, but once we arrived in Oz he had to apply for a Trade Cert / Trade Licence, this had to be done in Oz, and he had to get this before he could take up employment within his trade. However, I am going back to 81 so things may have changed since then.

He didn't have to sit any further exams etc, but needed to get this little piece of paper to embark on applying and getting a job within his trade.

THIS WAS FOR NSW
Thanks chick, at least we know what we are up against, i'm sure we'll find out soon enough as to whether things have changed since 81
thanks again
Vicky x
Old Feb 19th 2008, 7:48 am
Just Joined

ey up 1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Most companies wont ask for certificates, just a few questions during interviews & you dont need to be licenced over here unless you are working electrically or with HVAC gases etc.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 7:57 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly different but hubby was a firefighter in the UK but in his spare time he 'mechanicked' for a friend's garage. When we got here the first job he found that offered him work was in a large repair shop just down in NSW. They kept asking him for his TRA but because of his history - self taught etc we couldn't do it. After two years, they'd stopped asking but he decided to change trades anyway. Had he worked for the same company here in Queensland, they wouldn't have asked for his TRA, just accepted his level of competency.

I think they knew he wasn't going to produce it and they were very happy with his work but in NSW he was legally bound to provide the TRA.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

chocolatedog is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I am not sure if this will be of any use to you but may be worth a look before you come over.

It may be worth giving the Queensland trade recogition people a call 1300 369 935 so from the UK that must be +61 300 369 935 ?

Anyway, they will tell you if you have the right TRA paperwork or if you will need additional stuff.

They were real helpful for me I had UK qualification that they were able to give me a equivalence certificate for. It makes things easier for employers to understand your qualifications.

hope this helps.

Oh just another thing before I go, Gladstone in QLD has a huge cement production plant, it is hotter than Brisbane more tropical, but he may be able to just walk into a position there.

Sam
Old Feb 25th 2008, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chocolatedog
Hi

I am not sure if this will be of any use to you but may be worth a look before you come over.

It may be worth giving the Queensland trade recogition people a call 1300 369 935 so from the UK that must be +61 300 369 935 ?

Anyway, they will tell you if you have the right TRA paperwork or if you will need additional stuff.

They were real helpful for me I had UK qualification that they were able to give me a equivalence certificate for. It makes things easier for employers to understand your qualifications.

hope this helps.

Oh just another thing before I go, Gladstone in QLD has a huge cement production plant, it is hotter than Brisbane more tropical, but he may be able to just walk into a position there.

Sam
Cheers Sam,

I'll have a look at both

shelley
Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:43 am
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

I start my job on the 10th of March and I haven't been asked for proof of anything, I just gave the agency a copy of my CV and they just wanted 3 references.

I have found word of mouth and recommendation from other people is worth more than what qualifications you have (many thanks to a fellow BE member, you know who you are!).

Good luck with the job hunt!
Old Feb 25th 2008, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

markandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant future

Hi,

The initial TRA is for the purpose of obtaining a PR visa.

I am a Maint. Electrician by trade and will have to do the following once I get PR:

To actually work once in oz in your trade you may have to apply for an ARTC - Australian Recognised Trade Certificate.

Once you have successfully obtained your ARTC you will then need to get registered / Licensed.

The above applies to electrical and plumbing trades and certain mechanical trades............to see if it will affect your oh follow this link:

http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplace/Programmes/TRA/

Again I am not sure if this will apply to yourselves

If it helps then happy days............if not just ignore it
Old Feb 25th 2008, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by markandgill
Hi,

The initial TRA is for the purpose of obtaining a PR visa.

I am a Maint. Electrician by trade and will have to do the following once I get PR:

To actually work once in oz in your trade you may have to apply for an ARTC - Australian Recognised Trade Certificate.

Once you have successfully obtained your ARTC you will then need to get registered / Licensed.

The above applies to electrical and plumbing trades and certain mechanical trades............to see if it will affect your oh follow this link:

http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplace/Programmes/TRA/

Again I am not sure if this will apply to yourselves

If it helps then happy days............if not just ignore it
Hi thanks Markandgill,

I've had a look and it may look like he has to apply twice!

I'm more confused now than ever

Are there any Fitters (mechanical) out there that can confirm either way.

cheers Shelley

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.