Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mechanical Engineer-Where to move??

Mechanical Engineer-Where to move??

Old Apr 12th 2010, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

rishadsky is a name known to allrishadsky is a name known to allrishadsky is a name known to allrishadsky is a name known to allrishadsky is a name known to allrishadsky is a name known to allrishadsky is a name known to allrishadsky is a name known to allrishadsky is a name known to allrishadsky is a name known to allrishadsky is a name known to all
Default Mechanical Engineer-Where to move??

Hi,

As I got PR recently, I want to move to Australia now
I am a Mechanical engineer with experience CAD (Solidworks & AutoCAD), CAE & refrigeration system engineering for about 4 years.

Could anyone please advice on which city/state will be better for me in respect of getting job in my relevant field ??
Old Apr 12th 2010, 7:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mechanical Engineer-Where to move??

Originally Posted by rishadsky
Hi,

As I got PR recently, I want to move to Australia now
I am a Mechanical engineer with experience CAD (Solidworks & AutoCAD), CAE & refrigeration system engineering for about 4 years.

Could anyone please advice on which city/state will be better for me in respect of getting job in my relevant field ??
WA
Old Apr 12th 2010, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

rishadsky is a name known to allrishadsky is a name known to allrishadsky is a name known to allrishadsky is a name known to allrishadsky is a name known to allrishadsky is a name known to allrishadsky is a name known to allrishadsky is a name known to allrishadsky is a name known to allrishadsky is a name known to allrishadsky is a name known to all

But could you please tell between Melbourne and Sydney which is better ???
Old Apr 12th 2010, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

But could you please tell between Melbourne and Sydney which is better ???
They're both rubbish for engineering. Perth or Brisbane are the two engineering hubs.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

hotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant future

I wouldn't say they're rubbish.. My other half was looking for work as a mechanical engineer in Sydney. He didn't have any luck because of lack of experience but if he had experience in HVAC it looks like he would've been laughing..
Old Apr 13th 2010, 1:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotfuss
I wouldn't say they're rubbish.. My other half was looking for work as a mechanical engineer in Sydney. He didn't have any luck because of lack of experience but if he had experience in HVAC it looks like he would've been laughing..
Engineering salaries are about 30% lower than WA or Qld. $100k job in Sydney would be at least $130k in Perth.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

hotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant future

Jaysus you wouldn't get me to live in Brisbane or Perth for $30k!

joking of course!!
Old Apr 13th 2010, 6:36 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

CAE & refrigeration system engineering has nothign to do with resources. So any city in your situation
Old Apr 13th 2010, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

Do you have any idea- How about the competition to get a job as Design Engineer (solidworks & AutoCAD) ??

Coz I am interested to search work on this field...
Old Apr 13th 2010, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by hotfuss
Yeah but HVAC engineers get half of what a mining engineer gets, and it's very easy to make the step over. Food for thought
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

oxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant future

Do you have any idea- How about the competition to get a job as Design Engineer (solidworks & AutoCAD) ??

Coz I am interested to search work on this field...

If you find out any more info let me know I'm a design engineer (Pro/E & NX) am looking in the Sydney area mainly
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:16 am
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all

I would advise doing a job search through the normal channels to get a basic idea, i.e. seek, mycareer etc. One of the earlier posts suggested Melbourne or Sydney are rubbish for engineering, they're not exactly rubbish, but you would have more opportunities in another city besides Sydney mainly because Sydney is more of a financial hub. Good luck with your job hunting.