Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mechanic shipping tools help please

Mechanic shipping tools help please

Old Jun 18th 2006, 10:26 am
Just Joined

zakspeed has a brilliant futurezakspeed has a brilliant futurezakspeed has a brilliant futurezakspeed has a brilliant futurezakspeed has a brilliant futurezakspeed has a brilliant futurezakspeed has a brilliant future
Default Mechanic shipping tools help please

Hi this forum has been a great help over the past 18 months with info regarding getting our 139 visa. Next sell the house, luckily under offer fingers crossed. we will be heading to the gold coast in November so now I am busy arranging the shipping .I will be taking the entire contents of my workshop compressor, tig welder, mig welder, steam cleaner, 2 large tool chests, diagnostic machines, bike benches, 10 ton press, belt sander, lathe, large pillar drill, on top of this I have an extensive collection of other tools drills chop saw, routers, all of the above are in very good condition have been used but look like new. the newest peace is about 2 years old the rest 5 to 8 years old .I will be putting everything into a 40ft container with the contents of my house .my question is will I have a problem with customs with the larger expensive tools, all of which are tools of my trade .

I would be interested in any feedback regarding the mechanical trade on the gold coast / Brisbane. I intend to start a garage doing both bike and car repairs. Of course I will be giving all BE members discount
Old Jun 18th 2006, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mechanic shipping tools help please

Hello Zac

I don't think you will have any problems with customs especially if you've got receipts showing their age. To be on the safe side I'd spash a bit oil on the tools and say it's for your own personal use.

I didn't have any problems with my tools. But then again it sounds like your feching over about 10 times as much as me.

Keel

Originally Posted by zakspeed
Hi this forum has been a great help over the past 18 months with info regarding getting our 139 visa. Next sell the house, luckily under offer fingers crossed. we will be heading to the gold coast in November so now I am busy arranging the shipping .I will be taking the entire contents of my workshop compressor, tig welder, mig welder, steam cleaner, 2 large tool chests, diagnostic machines, bike benches, 10 ton press, belt sander, lathe, large pillar drill, on top of this I have an extensive collection of other tools drills chop saw, routers, all of the above are in very good condition have been used but look like new. the newest peace is about 2 years old the rest 5 to 8 years old .I will be putting everything into a 40ft container with the contents of my house .my question is will I have a problem with customs with the larger expensive tools, all of which are tools of my trade .

I would be interested in any feedback regarding the mechanical trade on the gold coast / Brisbane. I intend to start a garage doing both bike and car repairs. Of course I will be giving all BE members discount
Old Jun 18th 2006, 1:12 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zakspeed

We bought a large amount of very similar stuff. The larger stuff and most expensive - compressor, mig, very new router etc were listed separately whilst everything else was general ie £xxxx worth of snap on tools etc for insurance purposes. Shippers just had it all listed as tools and tool boxes. No questions asked.

Hubby did spend a couple of weeks draining, cleaning and wiping down with WD40 every single thing - kept him out of my hair anyway We had the keys in our luggage for the snap on boxes but no one asked us to supply them for them to check contents.

Don't worry about them.
Old Jun 18th 2006, 4:03 pm
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypen20
We bought a large amount of very similar stuff. The larger stuff and most expensive - compressor, mig, very new router etc were listed separately whilst everything else was general ie £xxxx worth of snap on tools etc for insurance purposes. Shippers just had it all listed as tools and tool boxes. No questions asked.

Hubby did spend a couple of weeks draining, cleaning and wiping down with WD40 every single thing - kept him out of my hair anyway We had the keys in our luggage for the snap on boxes but no one asked us to supply them for them to check contents.

Don't worry about them.
You should be fine, Im going to Brisbane and they have just told me that the tools have to be very, very clean and the tool box also in a good clean condition. Pete ps; just make sure you insure the tools and the box as I heard someone just insuringthe box thinking that the tools would be included!!