McKay

Old Feb 9th 2007, 11:18 am
Just Joined

Michelle Rockey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default McKay

Hi

Hoping some kind folk out there will tell me the good and the bad re: McKay.

Usual stuff:

Housing
Crime
Schools 3years and 16 years of age kids.
Health care
Amenities for kids
Weather

Hubby offered job in in McKay but also in NZ and really don't know where to start considering first.

Please be brutally honest.

Thanks
Old Feb 9th 2007, 11:24 am
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: McKay

If given the same choice - NZ every time
Old Feb 9th 2007, 11:35 am
STRIKE HARD STRIKE SURE

Whitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Michelle Rockey
Hi

Usual stuff:

Housing
Crime
Health care
Amenities for kids
Weather

Hubby offered job in in McKay but also in NZ and really don't know where to start considering first.

Thanks
we have relatives who moved to Mackay in December, i have sent you a pm.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rab
why what do you know about NZ in particular Roturoa, North Shore and Taranga?
Old Feb 9th 2007, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

If that's Mackay on the Queensland coast, then the only thing I'd say is that the summers are very hot and VERY humid...
Old Feb 10th 2007, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jensen Healey
If that's Mackay on the Queensland coast, then the only thing I'd say is that the summers are very hot and VERY humid...
Don't mind lived in Singapore once hotter the better , winters there?
Old Feb 11th 2007, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelle Rockey
Hi

Usual stuff:

Housing
Crime
Health care
Amenities for kids
Weather

Thanks
Hi MR, We arrived in Mackay on Sept and find it very pleasant. First the bad: Housing is a nightmare. Mackay is a boom town but the infrastructure lagged behind. Rentals are hard to find and overpriced, Supply and demand I'm afraid. A decent rental will set you back $350-400 a week. We paid 350 for a dump (desperate because of 3 small children) as we were ready to leave but our "stuff" was coming to Mackay so it wasn't practical. Bought 3 bed bungalow (brick, as most are queenslanders and made of wood) Expect to pay 350,000 to 450,000 depending on what you want if buying.
Now the good news.
Crime. Virtually non-existent. Headline court cases to me seem quite trivial, esp coming from Glasgow. No litter, graffitti and ppl are very friendly
Schools. 3 kids (12, 10 & 6) settled into state school very easily. Schooling is free but you have to buy books, jotters folders etc. Couple of hundred $ each for year. Schools have days out much more so than Scotland. Educational trips and even trips away for 3-7 days.
Health care. We are on temp visa so have limited medicare but took out private at $300 per mth. Most Aussies I've spoken to also have private healthcare to varying degrees. I suppose it all depends on personal circumstances
Amenities for kids are second to none. Parks are well maintained with free barbie facilities. Bring your own and cook away. Swimming pools (2 off) are outdoor and well maintained. Plenty of clubs and take your pick from beautiful beaches. Must be around 10 all within easy driving distance.
Weather. Roasting. From sept, guage sat at 25 (76ish) and didn't move for abt 1 mth. Dec and Jan are summer mths and guage went to 30-31(86ish). We had torrential rain here for a week causing floods in some areas which the locals tell me was the first for abt 7 yrs. They loved it as it filled up dams. Because its tropical, the summer is the wet season (not as wet as Glasgow) but it is very humid. Most houses have air-con and ceiling fans and all (i think) cars are fitted with air con. All in all, we have found Mackay to be a lovely town with plenty to do. The ppl are friendly and it is a good place to bring up kids. I'm a welder to trade and there are jobs galore. Mining is the main industry here and in the industrial sector (workshops in Paget outside town) there is plenty of work. I hope this helps and please ask if you need further info.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 4:13 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rab
If given the same choice - OZ every time!
Old Feb 12th 2007, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by framac
Hi MR, We arrived in Mackay on Sept and find it very pleasant. First the bad: Housing is a nightmare. Mackay is a boom town but the infrastructure lagged behind. Rentals are hard to find and overpriced, Supply and demand I'm afraid. A decent rental will set you back $350-400 a week. We paid 350 for a dump (desperate because of 3 small children) as we were ready to leave but our "stuff" was coming to Mackay so it wasn't practical. Bought 3 bed bungalow (brick, as most are queenslanders and made of wood) Expect to pay 350,000 to 450,000 depending on what you want if buying.
Now the good news.
Crime. Virtually non-existent. Headline court cases to me seem quite trivial, esp coming from Glasgow. No litter, graffitti and ppl are very friendly
Schools. 3 kids (12, 10 & 6) settled into state school very easily. Schooling is free but you have to buy books, jotters folders etc. Couple of hundred $ each for year. Schools have days out much more so than Scotland. Educational trips and even trips away for 3-7 days.
Health care. We are on temp visa so have limited medicare but took out private at $300 per mth. Most Aussies I've spoken to also have private healthcare to varying degrees. I suppose it all depends on personal circumstances
Amenities for kids are second to none. Parks are well maintained with free barbie facilities. Bring your own and cook away. Swimming pools (2 off) are outdoor and well maintained. Plenty of clubs and take your pick from beautiful beaches. Must be around 10 all within easy driving distance.
Weather. Roasting. From sept, guage sat at 25 (76ish) and didn't move for abt 1 mth. Dec and Jan are summer mths and guage went to 30-31(86ish). We had torrential rain here for a week causing floods in some areas which the locals tell me was the first for abt 7 yrs. They loved it as it filled up dams. Because its tropical, the summer is the wet season (not as wet as Glasgow) but it is very humid. Most houses have air-con and ceiling fans and all (i think) cars are fitted with air con. All in all, we have found Mackay to be a lovely town with plenty to do. The ppl are friendly and it is a good place to bring up kids. I'm a welder to trade and there are jobs galore. Mining is the main industry here and in the industrial sector (workshops in Paget outside town) there is plenty of work. I hope this helps and please ask if you need further info.
Thanks Framac for all the infomation Doesn't sound like you are missing Glasgow much Intensively researching on the net but nice to hear the experiences (good and bad) of folk who have already made the jump.