British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   MCIOB (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/mciob-942766/)

Stevezc11 Feb 13th 2022 7:30 pm

MCIOB

I cannot seem to find this information anywhere but does vetassess recognise chartered status? MCIOB?

old.sparkles Feb 14th 2022 1:11 am

Re: MCIOB

Originally Posted by Stevezc11 (Post 13094591)
I cannot seem to find this information anywhere but does vetassess recognise chartered status? MCIOB?

May be worth contacting Vetassess direct - https://www.vetassess.com.au/home/contact-us

Stevezc11 Feb 15th 2022 7:59 pm

Sadly they were useless!

old.sparkles Feb 16th 2022 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Stevezc11 (Post 13094913)
Sadly they were useless!

Sorry - sometimes they can be helpful.

I'm not sure what occupation code you are applying under (or hoping to apply under), but the Vetassess guides are usually pretty good on requirements.

Is Vetassess your only option? Also, trade or other occupation?

Stevezc11 Feb 16th 2022 8:09 am

I am a site manager here in the UK. I have an employer who can sponsor me, but currently it’s difficult.

I’ve been told I can’t go under the construction project manager because I don’t have 5 years experience to be sponsored for this role (I am just under 5 years - so close) but according to vetassess I need a degree? There was no mention from this from immigration.

The second option was a project/program administrator route which I have been told I would have no problem getting, but there’s apparently no pathway to PR. But does this mean I have to become admin… or can I still do a build role?

I have worked so hard and this has been my dream for so long & I just feel so disheartened.

I am questioning going to uni to see if I can do a top up degree to get a bachelors to aid, I have HNC & NVQ L6 already and will have my MCIOB done soon.

They don’t make it easy!

I hope things change a little in the summer

old.sparkles Feb 16th 2022 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Stevezc11 (Post 13095006)
I am a site manager here in the UK. I have an employer who can sponsor me, but currently it’s difficult.

I’ve been told I can’t go under the construction project manager because I don’t have 5 years experience to be sponsored for this role (I am just under 5 years - so close) but according to vetassess I need a degree? There was no mention from this from immigration.

The second option was a project/program administrator route which I have been told I would have no problem getting, but there’s apparently no pathway to PR. But does this mean I have to become admin… or can I still do a build role?

I have worked so hard and this has been my dream for so long & I just feel so disheartened.

I am questioning going to uni to see if I can do a top up degree to get a bachelors to aid, I have HNC & NVQ L6 already and will have my MCIOB done soon.

They don’t make it easy!

HNC equates to a diploma over here - not sure on the NVQ.

Did you do a trade as well?

I looked at the info sheet and all I could see is 1 year post qualification. I know with trades there's often a 'x number of years experience can substitute qualification' but I couldn't find any reference to something similar with this occupation.

On another note, if you can pass the assessment for any occupation, once in Australia you do not have to work in that role.

Stevezc11 Feb 16th 2022 8:53 am

Yeah it’s a little frustrating. I’m 27 this year and especially being female it’s awkward because approaching 30 & need to think about my future prospects whether I want a family etc!

I don’t have a trade background unfortunately, just went down the experience route, sent a CV in and rest was history!

I have sent a huge email off to our immigration team so fingers crossed!

Ah that clarifies things, I wasn’t sure if I had to specifically work in that role, or is it just visa purposes? I did wonder how they monitor that? I’m sure there’s loads of people on all sorts of visas that don’t do their dedicated role!

old.sparkles Feb 16th 2022 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Stevezc11 (Post 13095012)
Yeah it’s a little frustrating. I’m 27 this year and especially being female it’s awkward because approaching 30 & need to think about my future prospects whether I want a family etc!

I don’t have a trade background unfortunately, just went down the experience route, sent a CV in and rest was history!

I have sent a huge email off to our immigration team so fingers crossed!

Ah that clarifies things, I wasn’t sure if I had to specifically work in that role, or is it just visa purposes? I did wonder how they monitor that? I’m sure there’s loads of people on all sorts of visas that don’t do their dedicated role!

Is it possible to get membership of an Australian body - or is there an Australian branch of CIOB that can maybe help you get recognised here?

Stevezc11 Feb 16th 2022 10:29 am

From what I’m being told no, they want a bachelors. The AIB recognises the CIOB but it’s not enough.

Feel like giving up at this point. Doing a 5 year degree (part time as I have to work) when I actually have qualifications is depressing!

Amazulu Feb 16th 2022 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Stevezc11 (Post 13095006)

They don’t make it easy!

I'd imagine that there's a pathway for you to get here with your current qualifications. You should really talk to an agent if there is uncertainty with your status - others can recommend one to you or do a search on here

Construction - all construction - is going mental here ATM and will be for a few more years yet so you would have no problem finding work

Good luck!

Stevezc11 Feb 16th 2022 12:14 pm

I know!

I’m hoping something materialises from work and they can sort something out, but just waiting to find out and as each day passes I’m getting even more stressed out. I have worked hard to get my qualifications, but if I’d of known I would of done it differently. It’s a shame they want qualifications over experience now.

As a seperate note I’m speaking with the down under centre to explore my options over here.

This is what I hear, my last option is to do a working holiday visa for a year and go from there, but there has got to be a way.

Has anyone had any experience with the project admin route? I keep reading about being invited? It’s so complicated!

Amazulu Feb 17th 2022 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Stevezc11 (Post 13095052)
I know!

I’m hoping something materialises from work and they can sort something out, but just waiting to find out and as each day passes I’m getting even more stressed out. I have worked hard to get my qualifications, but if I’d of known I would of done it differently. It’s a shame they want qualifications over experience now.

As a seperate note I’m speaking with the down under centre to explore my options over here.

This is what I hear, my last option is to do a working holiday visa for a year and go from there, but there has got to be a way.

Has anyone had any experience with the project admin route? I keep reading about being invited? It’s so complicated!

Can't help you with roles, sorry but my mate went from WHV to work permit to permanent resident to citizen, so it can be done

Stevezc11 Feb 17th 2022 5:28 am

WHV is my last hope tbh. Just seems stupid to do that if I can move with my company, but fingers crossed!

Don63 Aug 26th 2022 6:42 pm

Back in 2002 i got my ACIOB Cert and grade results positively accredited from Vetassess for migration purposes. I later went on to gain MCIOB but that was not relevant for migration as i was successful with ACIOB. I am (and still am) a QS but did not have MRICS at the time (which i do now) meaning i could not apply for the QS classification via the AIQS, the body ensorsed by the Australian government to assess the qualification for migration. What i reckon gave me the postive result was selecting the suitable skills category as i knew the AIQS would not endorse ACIOB. I applied under "Construction professional not elsewhere classified." It was nerve racking waiting for the outcome as i was unsure if i had applied under the correct category. I reckoned by provding the Cert and grade results, it is important as Vetassess were looking for educational results/face to face learning as well as the sitting of exams and not just the certificate, which can possibly be given based on experience. I recall they contacted me and asked for an employer letter too which was'nt a problem.

ACIOB was a technical qualification and worth 40 points at the time; MCIOB is British Bachelors degree equivalent and maybe 60 points. Not sure in 2022. I know this as i got my MCIOB cert assessed via UK NARIC. This body has since been rebranded and can provide Reports and Certs for immigration and migration purposes. It was a long time ago, but hope this helps.

Stevezc11 Aug 26th 2022 9:06 pm

Thanks for that. I was told that it doesn’t count for anything, but that was from an employer and not from vetassess themselves. There doesn’t seem to be any information anywhere regarding this, apart from the information you have provided. I was told basically the only way would be employee sponsorship, which I have finally secured & heading out in October.

It has been a journey for sure - but I wish it was recognised. I have heard professional bodies aren’t as respected in Australia… whether that’s true or not I don’t know!