McCafe

Old Aug 28th 2005, 7:41 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road
Default McCafe

Does the UK have McCafe?

And has McDonalds introduced their healthy range of food?

I was just wondering the other day, while I was watching the kids play, sipping my skinny latte and readdressing the balance with a bit of cheesecake.

A
Old Aug 28th 2005, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of
Default Re: McCafe

I think they introduced the more healthy range but it contains more sugar and salt so not as healthy as it should be
Old Aug 28th 2005, 8:07 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Does the UK have McCafe?

I was just wondering the other day, while I was watching the kids play, sipping my skinny latte and readdressing the balance with a bit of cheesecake.

A
I dont think the Uk has McCafe, we dont have one here in Gero either, they have just brought out the new coffee's and they do a latte but it is revoulting and tastes just like the old maccas coffee.

They are all doing these so called healthy baguttes now but most of them still have a lump of deep fried reconstituted chicken in them and a tonne of mayo so really aren't that healthy at all. I think the Hungry jacks grilled chicken baguette is the healthyest but you still have to get it with no cheese or ranch sauce for it to be low fat.

Kala
Old Aug 28th 2005, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by JayDeee
I dont think the Uk has McCafe, we dont have one here in Gero either, they have just brought out the new coffee's and they do a latte but it is revoulting and tastes just like the old maccas coffee.

They are all doing these so called healthy baguttes now but most of them still have a lump of deep fried reconstituted chicken in them and a tonne of mayo so really aren't that healthy at all. I think the Hungry jacks grilled chicken baguette is the healthyest but you still have to get it with no cheese or ranch sauce for it to be low fat.

Kala
I've only tried the healthy option once, and I wasn't impressed.

I do like the McCafe though, it does have proper coffee (as well as frappes). The cakes are average, but the obvious advantage over other cafes is the kids playground (which seems to be a standard feature of McDonalds here).

A
Old Aug 28th 2005, 9:38 am
BLC

A
Yes, over priced and plastic looking . . . would you buy carrot sticks that look like they have just been chopped yet they were chopped a good few hours ago and suspended in chemicals - yuk! Hardly fresh off the farm.

I tend to drive past our Maccas to Larberry Farm for a bucket full of freshly picked organic veggies . . the ones with the caterpillars dancing all over

Can't recall the fresh Coffee bit, or did I in York? Sorry, can't remember. They do sell a fresh ground version in Maccas, though I gave the stuff up a while back

B

Old Aug 28th 2005, 9:47 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Does the UK have McCafe?

A
I wonder if they have the BITCHFIGHT adverts between McDonalds and Subway like we do here....???
Old Aug 28th 2005, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
I wonder if they have the BITCHFIGHT adverts between McDonalds and Subway like we do here....???
Probably not. I don't think there are that many Subways in the UK. Also, in the advertising rules you're not allowed to slag off the competitor (by name at least).

A

I had a look on the internet and there seems to be a few McCafes in Ireland (http://www.mcdonalds.ie/mccafe/), but no evidence of any in the UK. Anyone spot the Aussieism?
Old Aug 28th 2005, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

We do have quite a few subways in the UK they are becoming more like starbucks popping up everywhere, which is great for me as i love there food . In fact we have just drove past our local one at 8.30pm on Sunday and its still open
Old Aug 28th 2005, 8:12 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Does the UK have McCafe?

A
Maccas and healthy in the same sentence, dont think thats technically possible. There aren't any McCafes in the UK but they are in Europe but only in major cities, Amsterdam and Paris springs to mind. Probably more to do with the branding of "cafe" being more accepted there as being hand in hand with coffee and cakes rather than the UK "cafe" causing a full fry up and trucker springing to mind!

Macca's has taken a pasting generally in the UK and I for one would never eat in such a place. Clearly a matter for personal choice but the "supersize me" documentary was a bit shocking for any who have seen it. I dont really have a fair opinion mainly since I'm one of those gym going, veggie, health food types but I really think that there are better options for food than McD's. Coffee and a cake is nicer in Starbucks in my opinion as an example.

The food-industry's global advertising budget is $40bn, a figure greater than the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of 70% of the world's nations. Aside from the fact this makes me just a little cross when millions die from starvation and Maccas are one of the biggest advertisers both directly and indirectly, I guess it really means they know thier stuff and when a McCafe will sell more than a Mcnormalrestaurant.
Old Aug 28th 2005, 9:07 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Centurion
Maccas and healthy in the same sentence, dont think thats technically possible. There aren't any McCafes in the UK but they are in Europe but only in major cities, Amsterdam and Paris springs to mind. Probably more to do with the branding of "cafe" being more accepted there as being hand in hand with coffee and cakes rather than the UK "cafe" causing a full fry up and trucker springing to mind!

Macca's has taken a pasting generally in the UK and I for one would never eat in such a place. Clearly a matter for personal choice but the "supersize me" documentary was a bit shocking for any who have seen it. I dont really have a fair opinion mainly since I'm one of those gym going, veggie, health food types but I really think that there are better options for food than McD's. Coffee and a cake is nicer in Starbucks in my opinion as an example.

The food-industry's global advertising budget is $40bn, a figure greater than the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of 70% of the world's nations. Aside from the fact this makes me just a little cross when millions die from starvation and Maccas are one of the biggest advertisers both directly and indirectly, I guess it really means they know thier stuff and when a McCafe will sell more than a Mcnormalrestaurant.
Why do people always slag Maccas off? Tall poppy syndrome methinks.

Maccas are doing more than any other fast service restaurant to revolutionise its menu. Its buns now have half the sugar than previously, they now use canola oil and the deli choice range has baguettes under 10 grams!

They're not claiming to be a health food joint - jeez, they are there for convenience and for people who like to have a burger every now and again. They don't advocate eating there all day everyday (the supersize me film was idiotic and irresponsible).

An american woman recently lost 18kg by eating nothing other than Maccas for a couple of months. She has yohgurts for breakfast, deli choices for lunch and chose other lower fat options....

Think about this...what happens if you go to Tescos and eat nothing but their 'Finest Range'?? You'd balloon that's what. There's more fat and crap in there than any big mac or cheeseburger, but you don't hear people moaning about them.

You might also want to remember that Maccas trains more young people than the British, American and Australian militaries combined - fact.

They also spend over $500m on Australian produce for its Australian stores and employ close to 60,000 people in Australia (not even taking into account the numerous suppliers that they support). Oh and by the way, the Tasmanian Farmers - Simplot - American-owned, how ironic.

R
Old Aug 28th 2005, 9:27 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Why do people always slag Maccas off? Tall poppy syndrome methinks.

Maccas are doing more than any other fast service restaurant to revolutionise its menu. Its buns now have half the sugar than previously, they now use canola oil and the deli choice range has baguettes under 10 grams!

They're not claiming to be a health food joint - jeez, they are there for convenience and for people who like to have a burger every now and again. They don't advocate eating there all day everyday (the supersize me film was idiotic and irresponsible).

An american woman recently lost 18kg by eating nothing other than Maccas for a couple of months. She has yohgurts for breakfast, deli choices for lunch and chose other lower fat options....

Think about this...what happens if you go to Tescos and eat nothing but their 'Finest Range'?? You'd balloon that's what. There's more fat and crap in there than any big mac or cheeseburger, but you don't hear people moaning about them.

You might also want to remember that Maccas trains more young people than the British, American and Australian militaries combined - fact.

They also spend over $500m on Australian produce for its Australian stores and employ close to 60,000 people in Australia (not even taking into account the numerous suppliers that they support). Oh and by the way, the Tasmanian Farmers - Simplot - American-owned, how ironic.

R
Apologies, I didn't suggest that McDonalds are not a good employer, or that if you ate crap food anywhere else it would have any different effect to eating McD's/BK/Hungry Jacks/KFCs crappier foods day in day out. I agree with you on all your points. My point was really that they have such a huge budget for marketing that McCafe branding is very country and market selective and the UK is not such a market.

Ultimately its down to the individual as to what meal they choose and the frequency.
Old Aug 28th 2005, 11:47 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Apologies, I didn't suggest that McDonalds are not a good employer, or that if you ate crap food anywhere else it would have any different effect to eating McD's/BK/Hungry Jacks/KFCs crappier foods day in day out. I agree with you on all your points. My point was really that they have such a huge budget for marketing that McCafe branding is very country and market selective and the UK is not such a market.

Ultimately its down to the individual as to what meal they choose and the frequency.
Sorry, I wasn't having a go at you, just amuses me when people (collectively) have a go at Maccas just because they are successful.

You're right about marketing to different markets. McCafe is an Australian thing (first one opened in Melbourne in 1993). It's now the biggest coffee chain in Australia.

R
Old Aug 29th 2005, 2:09 am

I guess they would have to call it McCaff in certain parts of the UK.

I must admit that I never found the cakes in Starbucks very startling and think they are on a par with those found in McCafe. Obviously we are allowed to have our own opinions on this. To me, the big advantage that McCafe has over Starbucks (other than the price) is the childrens playgrounds. I used to find it hell trying to keep 3 kids under control in Starbucks.

I agree with Rob and the tall poppy syndrome. I suspect that the staunchly anti-McD brigade (rather than those avoiding them for healthy eating reasons) have done more to promote McD than they suspect. For example, when everyone was complaining about McD's use of plastic boxes, they changed the wrapping. As well as meeting cusomer demands (which must have promoted patronage), they got lots of free advertising, and were seen to be responding to green issues. I reckon they've also benefited from the changes made following super-size me.

They should be applauded for the Ronald McDonald House charities. I think this is a great idea.

Anyway, personally, I like the McCafe and the breakfast hot cakes but avoid the traditional fare as I always find it disappointing (I would like to get more benefit from consuming so many calories).

Regards
Al
Old Aug 29th 2005, 2:15 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

We cannot complain about Mc'donalds when there are people like Red Rooster around .... not to mention KFC, by jeebus their food is fowl ( ;-) ) here. Tried them all (for scientific research you understand) and Red Rooster has got to be worst, KFC is not far behind it was ok in UK but here its awful.

I swear there is enough salt in a Red Rooster portion of fries to clog a whole artery in just one go and those things they sell as chickens - well now we know where the dingo population is going.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 2:34 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

they now use canola oil
OMG, dont tell Larissa :scared:

just amuses me when people (collectively) have a go at Maccas just because they are successful.
I have a similar chuckle with regard to Microsoft .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.