Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

MBF Health Insurance

MBF Health Insurance

Old Feb 10th 2005, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough
Default MBF Health Insurance

Is anyone a member of MBF ? Have you had to use it ? What was the claims system like ? Any problems.

We are thinking about joining hubby's corporate scheme for hospital cover and extras (dental, optical physio ect). Would like to hear feedback if possible before we make the final decision.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

Bella3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: MBF Health Insurance

I'm a member of my corporate scheme. It costs the company about $2500 pa for a couple (I know as I pay the bills for the company). We are on the MBF HealthLink Advanatage Scheme, which I think is the max. cover. There weren't any waiting periods which was good - I think these were waived because it's a corporate scheme. Between us we've used it for contact lenses, dental work and podiatrist. My lenses cost around $170 for 6 months and I had to pay about $40 of that - I think they cover $150 a year. I think they cover around 80% of the podiatry and I'm not sure about the dental work. I have never had any problems with them, but I have heard of colleagues having probs with them in regard to more serious issues e.g. operations, and the length of time they take in getting back to the hospital as to whether you are covered and how much you will have to pay.
All in all though I think they are pretty good for the basics.
Hope this helps you.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: MBF Health Insurance

Originally Posted by Bella3
I'm a member of my corporate scheme. It costs the company about $2500 pa for a couple (I know as I pay the bills for the company). We are on the MBF HealthLink Advanatage Scheme, which I think is the max. cover. There weren't any waiting periods which was good - I think these were waived because it's a corporate scheme. Between us we've used it for contact lenses, dental work and podiatrist. My lenses cost around $170 for 6 months and I had to pay about $40 of that - I think they cover $150 a year. I think they cover around 80% of the podiatry and I'm not sure about the dental work. I have never had any problems with them, but I have heard of colleagues having probs with them in regard to more serious issues e.g. operations, and the length of time they take in getting back to the hospital as to whether you are covered and how much you will have to pay.
All in all though I think they are pretty good for the basics.
Hope this helps you.
Thanks for the info. It does help when you hear other peoples experiences and views. We are looking at the Healthlink Essentials. It is concerning when you say, people with the serious issues have had cause to complain, its the hospital cover we are more concerned about getting, especially as we have two kids.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 9:37 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

We're with them, costs $108pm. Not had to use them though!

Got a MPEG player on joining. Didn't work...................
Old Feb 10th 2005, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

Bella3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I think the main problem with the hospital cover was that MBF were slow in coming back to people as to whether they were covered, and for how much. One colleagues' partner had to have her gallstones removed, but the op was delayed by a week as MBF couldn't get their act together and fax the hospital confirmation that she was covered. It turned out she was covered for the whole cost, but that doesn't deter from the fact that she had to wait a week for this to be confirmed.
Another colleague was having an op on her ear and again she had a nightmare trying to establish how much of the cost they would cover - right down until the morning of the operation.

Hope this helps.