British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Mazda owners! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/mazda-owners-497268/)

Barbitana Dec 1st 2007 9:42 am

Mazda owners!

Hi folks,
Planning to buy a Mazda (sedan) and just wondering if anybody has any experience with the Mazda 6 or 3 in Australia. ;)

Cheers,

worzel Dec 1st 2007 9:46 am

Re: Mazda owners!

I've got a 3 and very pleased with it. I had a Focus and an Astra in the past and it knocks the socks off both of those.

lesleys Dec 1st 2007 9:58 am

We've had a 3 for 3 years - can't fault it.

Barbitana Dec 1st 2007 10:03 am

Thanks mates.

- Happy to hear your comments on 3, good choice!

- If want to go for 6 it makes sense to wait until April when new 6 arrives here...

wmoore Dec 1st 2007 10:16 am

I had an old 323 for the last couple of years and it served me well. I know a couple of people with Mazda 3s who are also very happy. In fact I planned on replacing the 323 with a 3 but somehow bought a Falcon :confused:

sunburn Dec 1st 2007 10:24 am

Just bought a Mazda 6 hatchback automatic. I wanted a hatchback around that size as find it more practical but hatchbacks, manuals & diesels all seem rare...well within 1 week of looking!

Very happy so far and they seem well rated. Ours is a 2.3(maybe 2.4) petrol and averages about 9 litres/100Km which is pretty good (2adults 2 kids in mostly). Didnt fancy a big 4litre guzzler after the falcon stationwagon hire-car, smooth as it was.

...only snag is servicing every 10,000Km and just noticed in fuel cap it says use 95? RON unleaded which isnt the cheapest unleaded as I have been filling it up with :blink:

HTH :)

Barbitana Dec 1st 2007 11:42 am

Originally Posted by sunburn (Post 5620856)
Just bought a Mazda 6 hatchback automatic. I wanted a hatchback around that size as find it more practical but hatchbacks, manuals & diesels all seem rare...well within 1 week of looking!

Very happy so far and they seem well rated. Ours is a 2.3(maybe 2.4) petrol and averages about 9 litres/100Km which is pretty good (2adults 2 kids in mostly). Didnt fancy a big 4litre guzzler after the falcon stationwagon hire-car, smooth as it was.

...only snag is servicing every 10,000Km and just noticed in fuel cap it says use 95? RON unleaded which isnt the cheapest unleaded as I have been filling it up with :blink:

HTH :)

Great comment.
Cheers,

dj nee Dec 1st 2007 12:38 pm

2 Attachment(s)
We just bought a new Mazda 3 Maxx Sport and we absolutely love the thing...

Only thing i can pick at is the air con doesn't seem as 'icy cold' as the Toyota Corola we hired beforehand, but it's still good and does the job fine.

If buying a 2nd hand one, look at the seat condition, as the older cars had different seats made with fabric that would snag on everything.

Other than that they are very good cars, and one of the safest on the road apparently, as they have 6 airbags.

worzel Dec 1st 2007 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by dj nee (Post 5621229)
We just bought a new Mazda 3 Maxx Sport and we absolutely love the thing...

Only thing i can pick at is the air con doesn't seem as 'icy cold' as the Toyota Corola we hired beforehand, but it's still good and does the job fine.

If buying a 2nd hand one, look at the seat condition, as the older cars had different seats made with fabric that would snag on everything.

Other than that they are very good cars, and one of the safest on the road apparently, as they have 6 airbags.

Yeah, my air-con isn't as cold as most cars I have been in too. I might try getting it re-gassed at the next service. You are supposed to use it regularly and if you don't use it over winter or it sat on a forecourt for months you can get that problem.

The only other thing I can fault is that getting it into reverse gear (manual) isn't always easy.

northernbird Dec 1st 2007 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by worzel (Post 5622574)
Yeah, my air-con isn't as cold as most cars I have been in too. I might try getting it re-gassed at the next service. You are supposed to use it regularly and if you don't use it over winter or it sat on a forecourt for months you can get that problem.

The only other thing I can fault is that getting it into reverse gear (manual) isn't always easy.

I think its a Mazda thing because our Tribute is the same. Wanneroo Mazda tell me its normal.

Hope you haven't had an awful night ;)

suffolk nuts Dec 2nd 2007 12:27 am

we have a mazda 6 sports a lovely car so smooth to drive cant fault it :)

joho Dec 2nd 2007 5:51 am

Originally Posted by suffolk nuts (Post 5622883)
we have a mazda 6 sports a lovely car so smooth to drive cant fault it :)

Hubby had mazda 3 sport in UK and loved it, but has just recently got himself a Mazda CX7 and looooovess that one.

Jo

Barbitana Dec 2nd 2007 6:07 am

Thank you everybody!

Has anybody got any idea on

1- Fuel consumption (usual city driving)
2- Costs of ownership (warranty, spare parts etc.)

Thanks very much,

Cheers,

walaj Dec 2nd 2007 8:36 am

we have got the wagon 6 (20mths old) - one thing I hate is the fuel gauge, esp when compared to the data but showing it's est of how many Kms left. It stays high and say, reaches half way on the guage, but you know you have done more than half a tanks worth of kms, the can have sudden drop near the end, and the low fuel light comes on when the data thingy reckons there are on 16kms left - not too bad in the city, but something to watchout for in the middle of nowhere!

I also did not like the huntman on the back window when I was driving today :eek:, but I think that is an optional extra

sparkley23 Dec 2nd 2007 9:43 am

Ive got a 3. Had it for just over a year, bought new. I think it's great. i would agree, A/C not "icy cold" though now I've had the windows tinted its a lot better. The servicing every 6 months is quite a cost, compared to other vehicles. Only trouble I've had is the manual gear knob sticker falling off (even when they replaced whole knob as apparently is a known fault, still happened again) and my rear windscreen washer likes to leak a bit every time I turn the engine on. Will get it looked at next time it's in.

Fuel economy seems pretty good. The 2 litre engine has a bit of zip in it. and the interior dash looks pretty cool!