British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Mayonnaise in Oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/mayonnaise-oz-503090/)

asher Jan 2nd 2008 10:59 pm

Mayonnaise in Oz

We currently have 3 jars on the go as i hate them all!!

they are thin and sweet and sickly!

what type is nearer the UK version? I wanted to make tuna and pasta mayonnaise but had to chuck it away as it was so sweet!

sylvesterthecat Jan 2nd 2008 11:00 pm

Re: Mayonnaise in Oz

I totally agree - its grim!

we've opted for a Heinz Salad Cream instead...

good luck

L

Issie Jan 2nd 2008 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by asher (Post 5731468)

what type is nearer the UK version? I wanted to make tuna and pasta mayonnaise but had to chuck it away as it was so sweet!

Will be watching this one too as i had the same problem when i was in Perth last year .

Happy new year honey ......hows things ?

Weasy Jan 2nd 2008 11:05 pm

S&W Whole Egg or Praise Whole Egg mayonnaise are very like Hellmans and we can buy Hellmans here but the others are much cheaper.

Lou
xx

nightnurse2 Jan 2nd 2008 11:05 pm

I use Praise light whole egg mayo and it's fine for me :)

SunshineGirl Jan 2nd 2008 11:10 pm

You can buy Hellmann's in Coles.

steve`o Jan 2nd 2008 11:10 pm

you can get hellmans in coles its usually in the asian food section ;)

beaten my mear seconds ;)

biggy Jan 2nd 2008 11:19 pm

Hellmans(imported stuff) in Coles....or Best Foods Mayo is the Hellmans recipie and very good.

MartinLuther Jan 2nd 2008 11:21 pm

I would recommend Hellmans (which is usually found in Coles - as others have said) or Best Foods Mayonnaise which again can be found in Coles and in Safeways (Woolies) from time to time and place to place.

Best Foods is very similar to Hellmans. It's hard to say which is the better of the 2.

biggy Jan 2nd 2008 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by MartinLuther (Post 5731561)
I would recommend Hellmans (which is usually found in Coles - as others have said) or Best Foods Mayonnaise which again can be found in Coles and in Safeways (Woolies) from time to time and place to place.

Best Foods is very similar to Hellmans. It's hard to say which is the better of the 2.

Best Foods is the Hellmans recipe

asher Jan 2nd 2008 11:27 pm

Thanks all my Coles doesn't have Hellmans!!:mad:

I have just been to the farm shop and they have whole egg mayonnaise so will try that!

Trouble is the coleslaw and everything has this sickly sweet mayonnaise on it! If I wanted something sweet i would buy sweeties FFS!

Hi Issie
am loving it here it is really good!:thumbsup:

I don't want to come back to the UK but am planning what to bring back, I shan't need to diet as I loathe the chocolate over here and can't bear to eat the stuff good news for my diet:rofl::rofl:
am moving to south Sydney on Saturday to a bigger apartment:thumbsup:

Luke I Amyofath Jan 2nd 2008 11:32 pm

Make your own, dead simple and takes seconds. Only need a mixer or bay mixer. Mcuk around a bit with it and youll get the best mayo ever.
Hellmans is ok but its american shite, like everything there. They prefer miracle whip anyway

MartinLuther Jan 2nd 2008 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by biggy (Post 5731572)
Best Foods is the Hellmans recipe

So I've heard before but when I looked at the ingredients list they were different so I'm making an assumption that they may not be exactly the same.

Fleaflyfloflum Jan 2nd 2008 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by asher (Post 5731590)
Thanks all my Coles doesn't have Hellmans!!:mad:

I have just been to the farm shop and they have whole egg mayonnaise so will try that!

Trouble is the coleslaw and everything has this sickly sweet mayonnaise on it! If I wanted something sweet i would buy sweeties FFS!

Hi Issie
am loving it here it is really good!:thumbsup:

I don't want to come back to the UK but am planning what to bring back, I shan't need to diet as I loathe the chocolate over here and can't bear to eat the stuff good news for my diet:rofl::rofl:
am moving to south Sydney on Saturday to a bigger apartment:thumbsup:

Hi Asher

I buy S&W Whole egg as it is the nearest thing to Hellmans IMO. Where in South Sydney are you moving to? There is a good deli stall in Eastgardens mall that definitely does Hellmans.

Nerine Jan 2nd 2008 11:37 pm

Best Foods Real Mayonnaise.

Same type of jar as Hellmans use and quite easy to find, they even sell it in NZ, otherwise I would've left years ago :D