Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

maybe a silly Q - lofts

maybe a silly Q - lofts

Old Apr 4th 2005, 6:39 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Red face maybe a silly Q - lofts

Do most houses have lofts? If not, where do you store your junk, erm I mean prized possessions?

Was in our loft yesterday (in UK) and that was bad enough for cobwebs, but when you have to start worrying where you put your hands for spiders that can give a nasty bite, do you use the loft to put your stuff up there at all?
Old Apr 4th 2005, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice
Default Re: maybe a silly Q - lofts

Originally Posted by walaj
Do most houses have lofts? If not, where do you store your junk, erm I mean prized possessions?

Was in our loft yesterday (in UK) and that was bad enough for cobwebs, but when you have to start worrying where you put your hands for spiders that can give a nasty bite, do you use the loft to put your stuff up there at all?

Really hoping there is no loft, I'll have to find something to fill it with else!!! lol

Dont like the sound of spiders but only consolation is thats a man job in our house so no spider bites for me then!!!!! lol

Chris
Old Apr 4th 2005, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Don't forget the roof rats :scared:
Old Apr 4th 2005, 7:55 pm

Shelley29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Roof Rats?????????

No one mentioned roof rats to me ............
Old Apr 4th 2005, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

jskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Shelley29
Roof Rats?????????

I've heard they're smart buggers as well ... :scared:

/Jørgen
Old Apr 4th 2005, 10:25 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
We have a loft in the house we are renting,i think most houses here do have them.
Our loft is in the garage,apart from our empty suitcases that hubby put or should i say threw up there!! i dont think we will make much use of the loft.
I hav,nt heard of roof rats but the thought of a carpet python amongst our stuff banishes any thoughts of venturing up there for a rumage around!! :scared:

Donna.
Old Apr 4th 2005, 10:35 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

We have an access panel to the roof space, but I'm not sure its a loft as you'd know in the UK. Perhaps its just the people I know, but they don't seem to store anything up there! We're in a 4 year old low-set house in QLD though, all of which could make a difference.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 1:20 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Roof Rats?????????

Roof Rat

Actually NOT impressed right now - have just come home from 2 weeks holiday to find that the bloody thing has chewed a big hole in a wardrobe that we have been using as a pantry trying to get in & get food .

Ohhh & to the OP, no, not many people use the (usually very small) roof space in the celing, in Qld at least partly the reason is the heat up there in summer - not good when everything comes out with black mould all over it .
Old Apr 5th 2005, 1:24 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

No there's nothing in our "loft"

You wouldn't want to go up out "loft" lol, it gets very hot, and it's not a "loft" as such like the UK. The space is a lot lower than in the Uk , you can't really stand up - no head room. Most new homes are like this - not a lot of space, and a lot of the older ones are like this too.

Most people just store their junk in the garage, and their garages are stuffed full with their junk

One good thing about not having a proper loft like in the UK, you don't tend to accumulate unnecessary piles and piles of junk like you do in the Uk lofts ( which half of it could really be chucked out if you thought about it) Bad crack is I've nowhere to store my good junk though

I tend to store my junk in the spare bedrooms. Hubby likes the garage clean - tools have their place, hanging from their little holders, our fishing rods in a fishing rod stand ( like in the tackle shops) .. ooh he's very fussy about the garage ( you could eat your dinner off the floor in the garage), but try getting him to be fussy about other parts of the house, you won't see him for dust lol. I always mess the garage up for him, I'm much more organized than him, nice chaotic order lol

cheers
Old Apr 5th 2005, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

Its worth mentioning that as well as all the above reasons for not using the loft space - Qld roofs are slightly 'different' to UK ones ! If you have a Colorbond Roof (tin roof) the loft conditions are OK but if you have the usual 'Tiled Roof' the loft is very open to the elements. In the UK you have the felt lining - not so here, just the tiles and you can see the sky straight through. This I believe is for 'ventilation' ! When it rains you stand a very good chance of everything getting wet - and that can sometimes mean wet stains on your ceilings !
Old Apr 5th 2005, 1:38 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Built in wardrobes make great hiding places for all your "treasured" junk.

Jenny
Old Apr 5th 2005, 1:39 am
Badge

Could we have a thread where noone goes on about spiders and stuff. Everyone would think the country is heaving with spiders just waiting to pounce... Wear a pair of gloves, job done.

Badge

Old Apr 5th 2005, 1:43 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by surfdude
Its worth mentioning that as well as all the above reasons for not using the loft space - Qld roofs are slightly 'different' to UK ones ! If you have a Colorbond Roof (tin roof) the loft conditions are OK but if you have the usual 'Tiled Roof' the loft is very open to the elements. In the UK you have the felt lining - not so here, just the tiles and you can see the sky straight through. This I believe is for 'ventilation' ! When it rains you stand a very good chance of everything getting wet - and that can sometimes mean wet stains on your ceilings !
Come to think about it in the Uk our home had a tar/sealant on the inside of the roof tiles - not so here ( I have a tile roof). And as for wet ceiling - tell me about it lol . Hubby fixed a satellite dish to the roof when we first moved in and he didn't quite put the tiles back properly - first heavy downpour we had a wet patch on the living room ceiling messing up the new paint work... argh. It's ok now though.

.................................................. .................................................. ......

P.S if your intending to build new, it is worth adding extra storage cupboards into the walls - this is what we did, and they are full of junk too LOL. we put one in the hall, one in the living room ( flush with walls and are unobtrusive) and extra one in the main bedroom.. believe me you need them with no decent loft. And we are still storing junk in the spare rooms built ins lol ( my junk is good stuff though - hubby's junk is rubbish ) Our bedroom has a walk in wardrobe ( and can not store junk in it - or I'd see it lol)- wish I'd added some more junk storage cupboards now when we built lol

How the hell people accumalate stuff I don't know - I left the Uk with one suitcase 13 years ago, and now I need a container to store everything! ahh think I'll chuck the whole lot out - it's a lot more simple with one suitcase

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 5th 2005 at 2:18 am.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 2:00 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Has no one ever worked out why Aussie blokes are so attached to their shed?

That's where you store the junk!

Or just keep extending your house - after all, everyone needs 6 bedrooms+ when you only have 2 kids, dont they?
Old Apr 5th 2005, 2:09 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Roof Rats?????????

No roof rats here in East Gippsland, though once a month or so the possums seem to hold a monthly football match in the roof, we can hear then scuttling along and then something that sounds like a ball bouncing around?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.