Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

May be a stupid question regarding home contents insurance

May be a stupid question regarding home contents insurance

Old Mar 30th 2006, 6:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default May be a stupid question regarding home contents insurance

How did everyone here sort out their contents insurance. We are just getting round to it, mainly because we didn't want all our major annual outgoings happening around Christmas so we have doing them all in dribs and drabs.

What I can't work out is how I value everything. Do I work out what it was in the UK and just change the amount to Aussie dollars, or do I traipse around the shops, pricing everything up?

Building and cars are fine, just confused by contents

Any sensible advice gratefully received.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: May be a stupid question regarding home contents insurance

Originally Posted by moneypen20
How did everyone here sort out their contents insurance. We are just getting round to it, mainly because we didn't want all our major annual outgoings happening around Christmas so we have doing them all in dribs and drabs.

What I can't work out is how I value everything. Do I work out what it was in the UK and just change the amount to Aussie dollars, or do I traipse around the shops, pricing everything up?

Hi Penny,

We've just sorted ours. Rang around a few places. Started with the crowd that we have our car insurance with, hoping we'd get a discount. No luck though. Found quotes a lot dearer than Ireland/England, but basically went for ANZ in the end. Alot of the quotes have a "minimum" amount of about $30-40,000 anyway. With ANZ, we could pay monthly ($21) at no extra cost, but I'm not sure if that was because we bank with them also. Btw, all's well this end as far as my Gran is concerned, so will ring you early next week to meet up for a coffee? Meeting Karenjc again on Sat lunch time also. Hopefully chat soon then. Michelle
Old Mar 30th 2006, 9:21 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Using the price you paid in UK and converting to AUD could leave you underinsured as some things in oz are more expensive. Insurers look at replacement value incase of a claim. You should be able to find the insurer you like then ask them to send out an assessor to make an assessment. They may charge you for this service so make sure you ask if a fee is involved. Just be sure to mention your property was bought in UK and you're not sure of the OZ replacement value.

Choose a reputable insurer eg, commonwealth bank, colonial, national mutual, Allianz, etc
Old Mar 30th 2006, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

We worked on the UK price. Yes some things are dearer here but other stuff is cheaper - it balances out. If you have to itemize anything then do a quick check on the web for the Aus price. For thing like clothes, books or CDs it was a case of count and multiply by an average.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 9:43 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
We worked on the UK price. Yes some things are dearer here but other stuff is cheaper - it balances out. If you have to itemize anything then do a quick check on the web for the Aus price. For thing like clothes, books or CDs it was a case of count and multiply by an average.
Clothes like furnishings can be tricky stuff. Need to check quality, designer label? material used, place of manufacture etc Most people tend to underestimate the value of their personal property and confuse what they paid/could sell it for secondhand with what it would cost to replace.

Some insurance websites have calculators but these are very basic and general. If someone was bringing a container of possessions from another country I'd get an assessor to certify its worth and provide any documentation possible eg, if you bought an expensive piece of jewellery or art it should have some paperwork attached at time of purchase and would therefore be listed separately under contents insurance.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

You won't be buying replacement items in the UK so need to value it based on Aus prices.

Did you insure your container upon immigration ? If so you may have a full list of stuff. Just need to add what you've bought since arriving.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 10:09 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

If you go to one of the online insurance places AMMI or the RACQ etc. they have a series of tick boxes for all your contents you just tick what you have and add any other valuables in at the end.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 10:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. We had a minimum lump figure in the UK, why didn't I think of that Well done Gill. Have got the shipping insurance list somewhere - will dig it out

Michelle, really pleased about your gran. Be good to see you.

I wonder if this is a record for the most number of reasonable replies to a thread this year
Old Mar 30th 2006, 10:59 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if this is a record for the most number of reasonable replies to a thread this year
Never fear....I am here

And it was me answering but that bloody woman left BE logged on in her name

She must have been posting again today.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 11:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Bix
Never fear....I am here

And it was me answering but that bloody woman left BE logged on in her name

She must have been posting again today.
Blimey Bix, keep her under control for god's sake, she was posting sense under your name the other day. It does nothing for your credibility you know

Thank you very much for the advice BIX
Old Mar 30th 2006, 11:09 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey Bix, keep her under control for god's sake, she was posting sense under your name the other day. It does nothing for your credibility you know

Thank you very much for the advice BIX
Darn it. A family discussion is called for

BTW I found Sun Corp best for our needs. http://www.suncorp.com.au/suncorp/insurance/apply.html
Old Mar 30th 2006, 11:22 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Bix
Darn it. A family discussion is called for

BTW I found Sun Corp best for our needs. http://www.suncorp.com.au/suncorp/insurance/apply.html
Thanks for that, we have a Suncorp office in our shopping centre, will go in and get a quote.