Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

May have a chance to move to Australia....

May have a chance to move to Australia....

Old Dec 11th 2008, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

Dibsica is an unknown quantity at this point
Default May have a chance to move to Australia....

My husband has applied for an "exchange" within his company (which is based in the UK) to go and work for a branch in Australia for a couple of years. This is all in the very early stages so at the moment I have no information at all.

Having looked at the Department of Immigration website it seems likely that the visa he would need would be a 'Temporary Business Long Stay 457', does that sound right? I think that would enable me to work too (I am a midwife), what I am not clear about is if I would have to have a job to go to or whether I would have to start looking when we got there. I wouldn't want to go if I couldn't work so it is quite important at this early stage to try and sort this out.

Any thoughts or comments would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Dibsica
Old Dec 11th 2008, 6:45 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: May have a chance to move to Australia....

Originally Posted by Dibsica
My husband has applied for an "exchange" within his company (which is based in the UK) to go and work for a branch in Australia for a couple of years. This is all in the very early stages so at the moment I have no information at all.

Having looked at the Department of Immigration website it seems likely that the visa he would need would be a 'Temporary Business Long Stay 457', does that sound right? I think that would enable me to work too (I am a midwife), what I am not clear about is if I would have to have a job to go to or whether I would have to start looking when we got there. I wouldn't want to go if I couldn't work so it is quite important at this early stage to try and sort this out.

Any thoughts or comments would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Dibsica
On a 457 you can work no problem.

There are a few restrictions on a temp visa, but thats not one. Have a bit of a search on the site, and there are 100's of threads giving the pro's & con's of a 457.

Good luck with your decision. I'm sure you wont regret it.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: May have a chance to move to Australia....

Hi,
Yes you will be allowed to work on a 457 visa. You don't need to find a job before you come but can if you want to. You will need to register with the nursing board for whichever state you're heading to prior to working. This can take several months so best to look into this now if you can. You usually have to pay a fee to the NMC to send accross information to show you're currently a registered midwife and details of your training etc.

Good luck!