Reload this Page >

Mawson Lakes, Adelaide??

Mawson Lakes, Adelaide??

Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

kazzking is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mawson Lakes, Adelaide??

Hi,

Anyone living in/near Mawson Lakes in Adelaide? Would like to know what it's like for a family of 4. 2 girls aged 8 and 20mths, so good schools and nurseries are a must.

Thanks v much
K
Old Mar 10th 2009, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mawson Lakes, Adelaide??

I'm sure some better qualified posters will come along soon. I am still in the UK - heading for Adelaide next week. I have done some research on areas. The one 'bad' thing I have read about Mawson lakes is that there are more Mozzies there. I don't know if this is true but it is something to consider if they like to munch on you.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the next suburb to Mawson Lakes and can say that the mozzies are bad here too. It's because of the nearby wetlands, Mawson Lakes having...well lots of water would be a haven for Mozzies too in that regard but best to hear from someone in the know. Wendy is your woman there.

Mawson's has it's own Primary school, ABC childcare (private) and Community Childcare (Public)
Old Mar 10th 2009, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Glasgowlass
I live in the next suburb to Mawson Lakes and can say that the mozzies are bad here too. It's because of the nearby wetlands, Mawson Lakes having...well lots of water would be a haven for Mozzies too in that regard but best to hear from someone in the know. Wendy is your woman there.

Mawson's has it's own Primary school, ABC childcare (private) and Community Childcare (Public)
Wendy is the best person to speak to as she has lived in Mason Lakes but you will have to visit the 'other' forum (we are not allowed to name it of on this site) as she will no longer post on British Expats.

Johnnyyt
Old Mar 10th 2009, 11:08 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

mawson lakes really is a 'love it' or 'hate it' sort of place.

it is all very new and it has some great open green spaces ... on the other hand the block sizes are tiny and the housing is relatively expensive.
there is a shopping area but i think most locals probably shop elsewhere where there is more choice.

as for the primary school ... tbh i have only ever heard negative reports but then my kids dont go there so i am working on second hand info ...

if i can help with anything else give me a shout

Last edited by Tiggs+Graz; Mar 10th 2009 at 11:19 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 11:46 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it also under the flight path for the RAAF base? I seem to remember people I knew there saying the test flights were really loud.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Isn't it also under the flight path for the RAAF base? I seem to remember people I knew there saying the test flights were really loud.
And right next to Parafield Airport. There's always talk of it closing but haven't heard anything yet.

They're looking at building another "mawson Lakes" type place on Bolivar Treatment Works site! At least no more poo smell for the folk at the caravan park!

Last edited by Glasgowlass; Mar 10th 2009 at 11:50 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 11:50 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

And right next to Parafield Airport. There's always talk of it closing but haven't heard anything yet.

They're looking at building another "mawson Lakes" type place on Bolivar Treatment Works site! At least no more poo smell for the folk at the caravan park!
We used to live in Klemzig - right on the main flight path for the airport, just about where the wheels went down on most flights. T'was lovely (not!) When we move back to Adelaide in a few years it will be to a suburb much farther away from any flight plans.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:22 am
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
We used to live in Klemzig - right on the main flight path for the airport, just about where the wheels went down on most flights. T'was lovely (not!) When we move back to Adelaide in a few years it will be to a suburb much farther away from any flight plans.
did you ever drive up marion road just as the planes were coming into land?! you seriously wonder if they are going to make it over the road ... never mind over the houses ... i cant imagine what it would be like to live down there with the planes skimming your roof
Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:24 am
sneaking a peek ...

the rumour is that they are going to move parafield airport up towards elizabeth and sell the land off for housing (for another mawson lakes type suburb) but i dont know if it is true??
Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:35 am
sneaking a peek ...

ok this is from one of my mates who used to live in mawson lakes ... hope it helps

'No, it's not on the RAAF flight path - that's Paralowie, but the planes from Parafield airport go over. It's not too bad though, certainly not bad enough to put me off living there.

The mozzies are worse near the lakes (which are artificial), and the swamp which runs downs the outside of Mawson Lakes, not so bad in the rest of the suburb.

It's a lovely place, very pituresque and because they have grey water it's not affected by the water ban so much so everything is still green.

The primary school isn't all that good but there are others nearby that are. The high school is private (costs about $4k per year) and is excellent. It's also right next door to the university.

There is a hotel there, which is pretty good for dining out and I like to go there for a beer in the sports bar, you can get a really nice burger meal with a pint of Tooheys Extra Dry for $9.50 - excellent value for money, it's huge!

There's a small shopping precinct, with a doctors, chemist, physiotherapist, Woolies supermarket (where I still go for my shopping), a florist, newsagency, some resteraunts and an estate agency. They are also still building some sort of high street and there are new shops popping up all the time. There's a really nice gift shop there which I love, has some lovely kitchen ware.

There's a bus and train interchange there, with lots of buses and trains almost everywhere in the North of Adelaide or into the city.

The houses are small unless you can afford at least half a million dollars for a larger plot of land. Mostly they build as big a house as possible on as small a piece of land as they can - if you want garden it's not the place for you. However if you're not bothered about that then it just might be.

I didn't like living there, but I know a lot of people who really love it there. It has almost everything you need, or has the means to get to it if it's not there. It somewhere that you should take a look at as it's certainly not a bad place to live and you never know until you take a look yourself.'
Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
the rumour is that they are going to move parafield airport up towards elizabeth and sell the land off for housing (for another mawson lakes type suburb) but i dont know if it is true??
I did see in the local paper a while back that they were going to put an outlet shopping village there. That would be great. I don't mind all the houses going up but they have to match it with facilities. Have heard about the housing idea there too.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Since when are we not allowed to mention other sites? Just wondered!
Old Mar 11th 2009, 6:47 am
sneaking a peek ...

I did see in the local paper a while back that they were going to put an outlet shopping village there. That would be great. I don't mind all the houses going up but they have to match it with facilities. Have heard about the housing idea there too.
yeah an outlet shopping village would be great there ... more central than harbour town.
it all seems to be speculation at the moment ... so i guess we just have to wait and see

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
Since when are we not allowed to mention other sites? Just wondered!
not other sites ... just one particular site
only i cant tell you which one
Old Mar 11th 2009, 9:38 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
did you ever drive up marion road just as the planes were coming into land?! you seriously wonder if they are going to make it over the road ... never mind over the houses ... i cant imagine what it would be like to live down there with the planes skimming your roof
I used to work on Henley Beach Rd our near the airport. Someone told me once that all the houses that were built out that way pre-airport had been renovated to include double glazed windows, air conditioning and sound insulation so as to help cut the airplane noise.

Anyway...Mawson Lakes. I've known a couple of families who either live there now or have done. From what they have said it's a nice place and from what I have seen it's well laid out and clean. We went to a free outdoor movie and fireworks show there last year when we were over visiting Adelaide.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.