Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mature Student in Melbourne. Too old??

Mature Student in Melbourne. Too old??

Old Mar 13th 2011, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: A Small Village in Somerset.......out in the sticks
memewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of lightmemewest is a glorious beacon of light
Unhappy Mature Student in Melbourne. Too old??

Hi All.....

We're hoping to be making the move to Melbourne in the not to distant future, The OH is in I.T. and I have spent all my years raising a family. Now I feel it's time for me and I would love to train as a Midwife.

We already have PR Visa's, so have no worries there, my worry is the years that have passed since i left school and if the qualifications I gained are worth anything.

I will be 40 this year *gulp* Have I left it too late??

Looking online, the course would be around 3/4 years so i would be a newly graduated Midwife at the tender age of 44!

This all sounds really old!! Am I deluding myself?

Is there anyone in a similar situation?? or been there and done that??

Many Thanks Guys

Meme xx
Old Mar 13th 2011, 12:55 am
Just Joined

K Schlegl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mature Student in Melbourne. Too old??

I was a mature student at 28 so I paid attention to all of our group for approx 8 years (I had children during). No is the answer. In fact it will put you ahead of the pack.
My mother in law started her second degree in Geology and Biology at the age of 76. She finished in 81 or 82. She was more Northern Germany (used to be Poland) during WW2 and had to leave her first degree because she was like 1 twentyeigth Jew- can you believe it? Then When she immigrated to Australia in 1954 she finished her degree in pschology.
Look, it is up to you if you want to learn. Stuff anyone who is negative about it. If you have prob's with maths or chem just hire a tutor, there are plenty of hungry kids around that need a couple of bucks and there are lots of computer app's that can help too. Do it and have fun with it- the lecturers are usually more helpful with older 'kids' too. best wishes, Kathy
Old Mar 13th 2011, 1:02 am
Just Joined

just a p.s. I mentioned about the tutors, but my other best advice is to find a 'Guru'. That is someone who is doing the same course with you so you can either borrow notes from the class you are taking (btw. this is a very personal thing and you must make sure the person you ask is ok with it otherwise you will lose this friend fast). AND ask them what the lecturer actually wants you to get out of the work he or she presents. This is extrememly valuable.-saves lots of time.
-then follow other advice you'd normally get from advisors, they are there for a reason. eg. look up old exams

Last edited by K Schlegl; Mar 13th 2011 at 1:03 am. Reason: spelling...
Old Mar 13th 2011, 1:25 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by memewest
Hi All.....

We're hoping to be making the move to Melbourne in the not to distant future, The OH is in I.T. and I have spent all my years raising a family. Now I feel it's time for me and I would love to train as a Midwife.

We already have PR Visa's, so have no worries there, my worry is the years that have passed since i left school and if the qualifications I gained are worth anything.

Looking online, the course would be around 3/4 years so i would be a newly graduated Midwife at the tender age of 44!

Many Thanks Guys

Meme xx
I'm 48 and doing my nursing degree part time. I will be 53 when I graduate.

Oh, and if you intend to study here you need to have proper punctuation (no ' in visas), as it counts toward your mark on your essays and exams. And the colour thing is pretty difficult for "mature" eyes to read.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 4:05 am
Just Joined

Hey don't worry about the punctuation part- use your computer to double check everything, you should be ok. All the Uni students I know do not know how to spell... give it a go as they say here. Do NOT let this comment put you off.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Who decides what's too old? No, of course you are not, whatever your age is. Apart from paying for a private tutor, which is a good option if you can find the right person, you will find that there will be learning support at whichever uni you choose. These people can help with all sorts of academic learning issues and help you organise your study and home life.

One tip I would offer: when looking at which university to choose (if you have a choice, some courses might be offered an only one uni in your location) - carefully build a record of the times of lectures/labs/tutorials/pracs. If a uni consistently schedules their sessions at a time that is going to be difficult for you with family or work responsibilities, it will make study very hard. It can be very expensive and tiring organising and paying for before-/after-school and vacation care, or to pay for some to look after your children.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 4:21 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Mature Student in Melbourne. Too old??

Not at all. There are plenty of people re-training at that age and older. I went back to study as a mature age student this year, and I'm loving it!

Old Mar 13th 2011, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

You will find 40 is not old for Nursing or Midwifery.

Im studying Biomedical and before I started went on Aussie forums and found in the study section their was tons of Mums studying Nursing or Midwifery.
Many of these ladies were 35+

Its a subject area that gets lots of mums retraining into.

Midwifery is more competitive to get into though (high scores), alot of the mums do Nursing degree then the post graduate Midwifery. That way they can work in Nursing or Midwifery jobs if need arises. Nursing needs lower scores and more courses as Midwifery degree is fairly new here.

Go for it.

Gems
Old Mar 13th 2011, 4:28 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by K Schlegl
Hey don't worry about the punctuation part- use your computer to double check everything, you should be ok. All the Uni students I know do not know how to spell... give it a go as they say here. Do NOT let this comment put you off.
Yes worry about the punctuation part. The computer's spell check will not catch an inappropriate apostrophe, but the person grading your paper will. Why shouldn't the OP educate herself as to correct English language usage?

And if all the uni students you know cannot spell then that says a lot about the state of the high school education where you are.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 6:48 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Two of the aussie nurses I work with started thier nursing degree at age 50. I would say they are both around 55 now and excellent to work with, infact thier enthusiasm puts me to shame!

Last edited by Margaret3; Mar 13th 2011 at 6:52 am.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 6:54 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Yes worry about the punctuation part. The computer's spell check will not catch an inappropriate apostrophe, but the person grading your paper will. Why shouldn't the OP educate herself as to correct English language usage?

And if all the uni students you know cannot spell then that says a lot about the state of the high school education where you are.
You sound like you'll make a lovely, compassionate nurse with a gift of encouraging fellow nursing students
Old Mar 13th 2011, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Drell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really nice

Hi All.....

Many Thanks Guys

Meme xx

Short answer: Absolutely not. Of course if you're nervous and want a reason for not doing something- age is always a good one....

I regularly recruite people to my programmes well into their 40s and 50s, they bring an element of maturity and experience that people straight from school simply cannot supply. You will have difficulties in studying and applying yourself but so will the young uns, the difficulties are just different ones but be assured, they're there.

I wish you luck. Just go for it.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 9:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
You sound like you'll make a lovely, compassionate nurse with a gift of encouraging fellow nursing students
What has an expectation of being able to spell and use grammar got to do with being a compassionate nurse?
Old Mar 13th 2011, 7:41 pm
Lifestyle Development

balkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the rough

Go for it, teachers and classmates would appreciate the contribution of someone trained in the "school of life".

My sister in law does general and theatre nurse training in the bush, and is often confronted with students who have completed one years study but have not seen blood....

Further, as opposed to direct entry you can start via TAFE Cert iV pathway.

Last edited by balkanghost; Mar 13th 2011 at 7:43 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 10:11 pm
Still alive

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
What has an expectation of being able to spell and use grammar got to do with being a compassionate nurse?
That's what I was wondering too. Because I think nurses should have English language skills I'm not compassionate?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.