Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mattress - how much would you spend?

Mattress - how much would you spend?

Old Jun 6th 2010, 7:13 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Mattress - how much would you spend?

Mr PP and I are looking to buy a new mattress, the one we have is awful, well its OK for him but I wake up with backache - everything aching to be honest and I never realised how the wrong mattress can have such an effect on your back.

Ive seen those memory foam ones going for $1200, but Im not sure if that is a good price or not.

How much would you spend on a mattress, would it be something you would invest in?

If anyone has any recommendations of good bed shops in Perth that would be very nice.

I have a memory foam pillow that I bought in the UK, I have never even sat on a memory foam mattress but I have heard they are good.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mattress - how much would you spend?

We bought a mattress from Sleepys nearly 2.5 years ago now. It's one of those memory foam ones - sorry can't think of the brand name right now (am at the library).

It's been great so far. They supposedly last 20 years and you don't have to turn them. Very comfy.

We went to the Sleepys at Edgewater. Brian, the sales guy was good. You can lie on all teh beds in the showroom aot get a bit of a feel. And when you buy a mattress you can return it within 30 days if you are not comfortable on it.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 7:44 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
We bought a mattress from Sleepys nearly 2.5 years ago now. It's one of those memory foam ones - sorry can't think of the brand name right now (am at the library).

It's been great so far. They supposedly last 20 years and you don't have to turn them. Very comfy.

We went to the Sleepys at Edgewater. Brian, the sales guy was good. You can lie on all teh beds in the showroom aot get a bit of a feel. And when you buy a mattress you can return it within 30 days if you are not comfortable on it.
Ive just found an Ergoflex Queen size mattress for $800, which is half price in EOFYS. It has some good reviews as well.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

sue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nice

hi we were looking at matresses a few weeks ago and just got so fed up with all the sales people telling me different things,so we decided to buy a memory foam topper , we got 1 from ebay as it was cheaper think i paid $200 but that is a king size,we couldnt believe the difference it made well worth the money. We thought if i didnt work out we could just use it on the guest bed ,but its great and saved us spending a couple of thousand. Might be worth you doing the same if your matress isnt to bad,like you i was getting up with aches and pains before,but im ok now,not sure how it will be in the summer though it might get a bit hot. ,,,Sue
Old Jun 6th 2010, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by sue&bob
hi we were looking at matresses a few weeks ago and just got so fed up with all the sales people telling me different things,so we decided to buy a memory foam topper , we got 1 from ebay as it was cheaper think i paid $200 but that is a king size,we couldnt believe the difference it made well worth the money. We thought if i didnt work out we could just use it on the guest bed ,but its great and saved us spending a couple of thousand. Might be worth you doing the same if your matress isnt to bad,like you i was getting up with aches and pains before,but im ok now,not sure how it will be in the summer though it might get a bit hot. ,,,Sue
My mattress is awful Sue, really awful - my hips hurt, neck/back Mr PP isnt too bad but it is horrible for me, the moment I lie on it my head and neck hurt, we turn it and rotate it.

At the moment I am swinging towards the Ergoflex bed - good reviews at the review centre, I shall show Mr PP later to see what he thinks.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

We bought a lovely one which was very expensive (and very nice it is too) and a cheaper one which was about 800 bucks and that too was very nice. The kids fought over it LOL. firm base is what you need, then you can have a nice soft mattress (or so my chiro says), slatted is fine.

Jo
Old Jun 6th 2010, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by joho
We bought a lovely one which was very expensive (and very nice it is too) and a cheaper one which was about 800 bucks and that too was very nice. The kids fought over it LOL. firm base is what you need, then you can have a nice soft mattress (or so my chiro says), slatted is fine.

Jo
Im just looking at mattress toppers, might just invest in a new mattress I think, a good pillow wouldnt go amiss either.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Im just looking at mattress toppers, might just invest in a new mattress I think, a good pillow wouldnt go amiss either.
Just bought my son a lovely quitled mattress protector for his rather firm oldish mattress and he says its lovely and snuggly now. So if you have a resonably ogood condition mattress would certainly recommend for an econimical option.

Jo
Old Jun 6th 2010, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

We bought a memory foam 2 years ago (£800) plus a topper (£200) and they are excellent. We decided to split to topper into half and add them to the kids' single beds and they love them too.
Only problem with them is when you clean the sheets they are wrapped in - they are bloody difficult to put back on!
For the prices you have been quoted, I'de definitely buy one. Not sure if the bad back is due to your matress!!!!!
Old Jun 6th 2010, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by sportsendurance
We bought a memory foam 2 years ago (£800) plus a topper (£200) and they are excellent. We decided to split to topper into half and add them to the kids' single beds and they love them too.
Only problem with them is when you clean the sheets they are wrapped in - they are bloody difficult to put back on!
For the prices you have been quoted, I'de definitely buy one. Not sure if the bad back is due to your matress!!!!!

Yep, we are going to go with the memory foam one.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 6:12 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

Yep, we are going to go with the memory foam one.
You won't regret it. They are expensive, but ours is guaranteed for 15 years, which, we're told is about a third of the life of the mattress (so unlikely we'll ever need to buy another!!). They don't get 'bed bugs', don't need turning and are really comfy. I have neck and back pain, but it's been fine with this mattress. Also, even if your partner moves around a lot in the night, you don't really feel it!
Old Jun 6th 2010, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of

Mr PP and I are looking to buy a new mattress, the one we have is awful, well its OK for him but I wake up with backache - everything aching to be honest and I never realised how the wrong mattress can have such an effect on your back.

Ive seen those memory foam ones going for $1200, but Im not sure if that is a good price or not.

How much would you spend on a mattress, would it be something you would invest in?

If anyone has any recommendations of good bed shops in Perth that would be very nice.

I have a memory foam pillow that I bought in the UK, I have never even sat on a memory foam mattress but I have heard they are good.
Forget anything else, memory foam is the way forward. Dont get ripped off though, We bought ours off internet for about £200 and its the comfiest thing I have ever come across by a mile. You dont need to spend shit loads, OK I am sure there are better looking mattresses, ours is a big slab of memory foam in a big fleece jacket, but for all intents and purposes, job well and truly done.

Go for it!
Old Jun 7th 2010, 2:07 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I love my memory foam one BUT I do find it holds the heat in summer
Old Jun 7th 2010, 2:12 am

Ive ordered it - another sleepless night, woke up feeling really stiff, looking crap, bags under the eyes through not sleeping so we have ordered it.

Its being delivered next Monday

Thanks for your help guys.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 2:51 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

these memory foam mattresses you guys are talking about ... are they the same as latex mattresses, just a different name?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.