Mateship

Old Aug 23rd 2004, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough
Default Mateship

Mateship is an oddly Australian word that appears to be the cornerstone of all things Australian - sticking up for your mate, helping out when they are in strife etc etc.

Of course this rule doesn't apply if you're in the olympic rowing 8 and you collapse. In that case your 'mates' will all swear at you and totally shun you and not show one ounce of compassion or ...dare I say it 'mateship'.

no medals ... no mates.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 12:29 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mateship

Originally Posted by RichS
Mateship is an oddly Australian word that appears to be the cornerstone of all things Australian - sticking up for your mate, helping out when they are in strife etc etc.

Of course this rule doesn't apply if you're in the olympic rowing 8 and you collapse. In that case your 'mates' will all swear at you and totally shun you and not show one ounce of compassion or ...dare I say it 'mateship'.

no medals ... no mates.
Maybe the Indian book makers were involved??
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 12:47 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RichS

no medals ... no mates.
I've always found this concept as something uniquely Australian very weird. People have friends who they look after all over the world. Why do some dickheads here think they are special for it?
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 12:53 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Mateship
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 1:02 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Camaraderie by any other name.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

I just love the way none of her team mates will talk to her and the press are waiting to get their jaws in.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

You can't be a loooooser in the Oz olympic team. It's all about Gold mate.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 5:12 am
Badge

Originally Posted by bondipom
I've always found this concept as something uniquely Australian very weird. People have friends who they look after all over the world. Why do some dickheads here think they are special for it?
mates exist in London. Everywhere. I suppose in the Australian context it is all about the original settler conditions. I suppose in the Aussie context the difference is between a 'friend' and someone who will actually watch your back in a firefight (or something) born of having shared the same conditions (often mentioned in aussie definitions) - as U says; Cameradie.

Last edited by badgersmount; Aug 23rd 2004 at 5:19 am.

Old Aug 23rd 2004, 5:30 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally Posted by chocaholic
You can't be a loooooser in the Oz olympic team. It's all about Gold mate.
Seems like they are having a crisis meeting over it now!!!

http://www.smh.com.au/olympics/artic...113050590.html

Poor woman will be the bad girl for a while, the aussies will eat her up and spit her bones out, but there will be those that will pick the bones just in case
Aussies and sport
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 5:57 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by badgersmount
mates exist in London. Everywhere. I suppose in the Australian context it is all about the original settler conditions. I suppose in the Aussie context the difference is between a 'friend' and someone who will actually watch your back in a firefight (or something) born of having shared the same conditions (often mentioned in aussie definitions) - as U says; Cameradie.
Near enough - more particularly the gold diggers and swagmen. A contract to look out for each other. Gone.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 6:03 am
Badge

Originally Posted by Quinkana
Near enough - more particularly the gold diggers and swagmen. A contract to look out for each other. Gone.
Quite.

Peter, not U. I misquoted.

Old Aug 23rd 2004, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter
Camaraderie by any other name.
Absolutely.

But, in keeping with (original) Aussie egalitarian approach to life, "camaraderie" would be considered too effeminate, too French, too high-brow and hence divisive. In fact, just like the word 'egalitarian'.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 7:54 am
Badge

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Absolutely.

But, in keeping with (original) Aussie egalitarian approach to life, "camaraderie" would be considered too effeminate, too French, too high-brow and hence divisive. In fact, just like the word 'egalitarian'.
very good....

Old Aug 23rd 2004, 8:25 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Camaraderie

1. Goodwill and lighthearted rapport between or among friends; comradeship.
Not quite it.

2. Comradeship and loyalty.
Closer.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quinkana
Camaraderie

1. Goodwill and lighthearted rapport between or among friends; comradeship.
Not quite it.

2. Comradeship and loyalty.
Closer.
3. Bollocks.
Closer still.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.