Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Maternity rights in Australia

Wikiposts

Maternity rights in Australia

Old May 11th 2005, 10:57 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Maternity rights in Australia

Originally Posted by Parker
Thanks for the info.

This isn't something I had considered before and now am looking into it am quite shocked!

Have just had maternity leave here and returned to work. I was paid in full for 4 months, then had govt. statutary mat pay at £100 a week for 2 months. Then could have 6 months unpaid which I declined as couldn't afford to. But most people get 3 months paid, its very rare to find someone with no mat. pay at all.

Attitudes at work re. flexible working etc are v good in my company and is promoted by the govt so have found most attitudes are positive.

So I naively thought that Australia would reflect this - as I thought it was a forward thinking political correct country.

I should have seen the warning signs when trying to find childcare out there and found it is few and far between, extremely expensive and staffed by untrained workers. Baffling. The role of working mothers seriously is about 20 years behind out there.

And now there's the issue of the cost of actually having the baby - what is this 'difference between doctors fees and medicare' ? Can someone elaborate? Here if you go to the NHS and have a baby you don't pay any thing extra unless you want a private room or something over and above the norm.
And does anyone know if pregnancy and birth are covered on private health insurance out there?

Thanks!
We have private health cover but that is were there are gaps and you end up paying the difference. I have opted for public hospital at Frankston nr where I live and I am going through the midwife clinic and it is free through Medicare. I have been totally happy with the treatment I have had and there has never been any long waiting times. I get seen when I have an appointment and the hospital has a new maternity wing and it is much better than what I have seen at York District where my sister and cousin have given birth in the UK.

OK I can't choose my obstretrician but to be honest I have no idea who is good and who isn't so how would I have made a choice if I had gone private and I would rather have my baby delivered by a midwife just like the UK.

Jo
Old May 11th 2005, 11:09 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The main problems we have had were getting the correct scans and tests organised in the first trimester. The GP was useless and it talk a rediculous fight to get the private ultrasound clinic to book the Mrs in in the right period for the nucal. Without a doctor in the family we would not have had a clue on what we needed to book in for and when. We had to use the private ultrasound place because the public one was fobbing off every 12 and 18 week scan saying the scanner was broken.

The GP did not book all the blood tests which the midwife spotted and we then got tested for.

Once the first trimester was over we could book into the midwives clinic and ever since we the care has been spot on. The little man was measuring a bit big and we then got a free public scan just in case. He was playing with his feet and just pushing out the stomach a bit.

BTW the scans were about $200 each and we got back about $90 from medicare for each.

Ante-natal classes were about $200 but nothing was claimable.

I think the rest is free.
Old May 11th 2005, 11:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
The $3000 doesn't go that far if you take into account lack of maternity benefit and the 'gap' between Doctor's fees and Medicare.
Know what you mean there is an awful flu going about, one adult has it $22 gap to see doc, Two scripts, $51 for one and $17 for the other, the child $22 for gap, one script $22, so 10 min visit to docs cost $134.00. My flu vac tomorrow, will cost $22 gap plus $28 for the flu vac so this weeks medical costs $184 plus our normal private cover cost of $49.61 a week.

Bloody expensive to have a family here.
Old May 12th 2005, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

Parker is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bondipom
The main problems we have had were getting the correct scans and tests organised in the first trimester. The GP was useless and it talk a rediculous fight to get the private ultrasound clinic to book the Mrs in in the right period for the nucal. Without a doctor in the family we would not have had a clue on what we needed to book in for and when. We had to use the private ultrasound place because the public one was fobbing off every 12 and 18 week scan saying the scanner was broken.

The GP did not book all the blood tests which the midwife spotted and we then got tested for.

Once the first trimester was over we could book into the midwives clinic and ever since we the care has been spot on. The little man was measuring a bit big and we then got a free public scan just in case. He was playing with his feet and just pushing out the stomach a bit.

BTW the scans were about $200 each and we got back about $90 from medicare for each.

Ante-natal classes were about $200 but nothing was claimable.

I think the rest is free.

And is everything for the birth itself included on medicare? Am particularly concerned about little 'extras' which may arise if there are complications - like a c section or something.
Also heard tales of being charged for an epidural!
Though I would have paid handsomely for my epidural I must admit!
Old May 12th 2005, 12:42 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Because the Statutory Maternity Pay (£106/week) is taxed in the UK and the $3000 is not taxed in Oz, this means that the $3000 is equivalent to about 15-16 weeks of the UK SMP (not including the 1st 6 weeks). At $4000 (from 1/7/06) this is roughly equivalent to 50 weeks and at $5000 (1/7/2008) this is roughly equivalent to 60 weeks. (Note that these figures will be lower because of the inflationary increases in the SMP.)

UK working mums are currently better off because the first 6 weeks are at 90% of full pay, which also provides more benefit for higher earners. Note that all mums in Oz get the baby bonus – employment is not a condition for receiving it.

Note that the above applies to people who receive statutory benefits; obviously employees of generous employers in both countries will benefit more than those on the statutory benefits.

Regards
Alistair

Last edited by kirsty&al; May 12th 2005 at 12:46 am.
Old May 12th 2005, 9:05 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

And is everything for the birth itself included on medicare? Am particularly concerned about little 'extras' which may arise if there are complications - like a c section or something.

It obviously depends where you live. I only had to pay for my 12 wk scan and that was as I was not in the at risk category under 35 I think. It cost me $60 at a bulk bill place in Frankston . I had to pay $75 for my antenatal classes at Frankston Hospital (public).

I attended the doctors who was very good but it cost me $50 a visit of which $30 was refunded through Medicare. I was booked into the midwife clinic from 20 wks. From then on my care has been free. That was the only reason I swapped from my GP to the midwife clinic as it was free. I was totally happy with the treatment from my doctor and I was been sent for regular scans and blood tests etc..

I have no further money to pay for the birth of my child through the public hospital Medicare picks up the whole cost. I have cover for the ambulance just in case I need to be transported to the hospital otherwise it costs a lot to call one out.

If I can be any further help please ask

Jo

Just waiting Due 25th May
Old May 12th 2005, 9:14 am

Going public it is free including c-sections, epidurals, pethadine, gas etc. There is a forum the Mrs goes on regularly and I will post the link.
Old May 12th 2005, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Firstly, I have had my children, so will not be affected by this. Having said that, i think it is diabolical that there is no maternity pay. How far behind is that and how indicative of just how sexist it can be out there. This is really archaic. I have a friend who is working for the NHS and will be getting 7 months maternity leave and my sister who works in the private sector will be getting 8 months. What do people do if they have to work. 3 month old babies are very small and dependant and to have to leave them with someone else must be heart breaking. This is really quite shocking to me. :scared:
Old May 12th 2005, 10:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coxfamuk
Firstly, I have had my children, so will not be affected by this. Having said that, i think it is diabolical that there is no maternity pay. How far behind is that and how indicative of just how sexist it can be out there. This is really archaic. I have a friend who is working for the NHS and will be getting 7 months maternity leave and my sister who works in the private sector will be getting 8 months. What do people do if they have to work. 3 month old babies are very small and dependant and to have to leave them with someone else must be heart breaking. This is really quite shocking to me. :scared:
In a lot of things Australia appears to be about 20 years behind the UK - maternity benefits is one of them.
Old May 12th 2005, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
In a lot of things Australia appears to be about 20 years behind the UK - maternity benefits is one of them.
I am really amazed by this. I grew up in south africa and there they are miles behind. Australia considers itself a first world country, but obviously in some arenas is third world. I am only concerned because we have a daughter who is one day (hopefully) going to have children of her own. I actually cannot get over this. It is incredibly behind the times. In fact, the UK is considered to be behind the rest of Europe! God knows where Australia must be compared to the rest of the world.

What are the USA's maternity benefits like?
Old May 12th 2005, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coxfamuk
I am really amazed by this. I grew up in south africa and there they are miles behind. Australia considers itself a first world country, but obviously in some arenas is third world. I am only concerned because we have a daughter who is one day (hopefully) going to have children of her own. I actually cannot get over this. It is incredibly behind the times. In fact, the UK is considered to be behind the rest of Europe! God knows where Australia must be compared to the rest of the world.

What are the USA's maternity benefits like?
Maternity benefits in the US? Are you serious?

They get six weeks maternity leave but no pay.

Now they must really be a third world country.
Old May 12th 2005, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by nickyc
Maternity benefits in the US? Are you serious?

They get six weeks maternity leave but no pay.

Now they must really be a third world country.
If you are one of the don't haves in the US you are probably better off living in a third world country.
Old May 12th 2005, 12:02 pm
Pass The Post

I must admit I was shocked when I got here and discovered how much better off I would have been to have had my children in the UK. I have had many an arguement with women at my work and they all think Maternity pay is wrong!!! And that is as they think companies will go under if they have to pay 2 people (one on leave and the person covering the job) they have the attitude you choose to have children so you have to be able to support the child not your employer!!!

So how will Oz ever catch up if this is the attitude of the working woman!!! I tried to say well it is all about equal opportunities for the woman and that a man in general does not need to take a career break to bring up kids.

I know women that have returned to work 6wks after the birth of their child and the child is in full time day care.

Another difference here is the child benefit this is means tested so unlike the UK where you get a certain payment each week depending on the number of children here in Australia they look at your household income and then make a judgement. You predict your earnings for the year ahead and if you get a payrise/promotion during that year you stand to have to pay back some of the money paid out to you.

Jo
Old May 12th 2005, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bondipom
If you are one of the don't haves in the US you are probably better off living in a third world country.
Yes you are. At least in SA you get 4 months maternity leave (but then it's not generally considered third world).
Old May 12th 2005, 12:07 pm
Pass The Post

I must admit I was shocked when I got here and discovered how much better off I would have been to have had my children in the UK. I have had many an arguement with women at my work and they all think Maternity pay is wrong!!! And that is as they think companies will go under if they have to pay 2 people (one on leave and the person covering the job) they have the attitude you choose to have children so you have to be able to support the child not your employer!!!

So how will Oz ever catch up if this is the attitude of the working woman!!! I tried to say well it is all about equal opportunities for the woman and that a man in general does not need to take a career break to bring up kids.

I know women that have returned to work 6wks after the birth of their child and the child is in full time day care.

Another difference here is the child benefit this is means tested so unlike the UK where you get a certain payment each week depending on the number of children here in Australia they look at your household income and then make a judgement. You predict your earnings for the year ahead and if you get a payrise/promotion during that year you stand to have to pay back some of the money paid out to you.

Jo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.