Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Maternity Pay in Aus from UK

Maternity Pay in Aus from UK

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

hlad00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Maternity Pay in Aus from UK

Can anyone tell me what the standard package is for maternity leave in Aus? Would I get anything?

Also would you only be able to claim this if you had lived there for 4 years and became a Citizen? Or can you still claim this on a permanent visa?

thanks you for your help in advance!
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

dpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to all
Default Re: Maternity Pay in Aus from UK

Originally Posted by hlad00
Can anyone tell me what the standard package is for maternity leave in Aus? Would I get anything?

Also would you only be able to claim this if you had lived there for 4 years and became a Citizen? Or can you still claim this on a permanent visa?

I believe that the USA and Australia are the only 2 OECD countries which don't have any such thing as state-funded maternity pay.

The philosophy is 'if you want kids, pay for it yourself!'

I am not making any comment on the rights and wrongs of this argument.

PR visa holders still get the means-tested baby bond which is (?) about $5000, and a lot of employers offer 12 weeks paid leave at their discretion.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 10:51 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hlad00

The standard maternity package in Aus is called the Baby Bonus. It is currently $5000 tax free usually paid as a lump sum on the birth of the baby and is currently paid to everyone (who meets the residency requirements) not just working mothers who exceed a certain salary level and work hours.

However there are changes coming this January. You won't get it if you (as a family) earn more than $150k per year. Also the payment is being changed to a spread of fortnightly payments rather than a lump sum.

Some employers may supply a maternity package but this is discretionary (similar to the way that a lot of employers exceed the SMP in the UK). You probably won't get anything working for a supermarket but you will probably get something if you work for the government or have a high profile job (e.g. lawyer).

PS: This is another recent thread on the subject http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=536444

Last edited by MartinLuther; Jul 23rd 2008 at 11:05 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
The standard maternity package in Aus is called the Baby Bonus. It is currently $5000 tax free usually paid as a lump sum on the birth of the baby and is currently paid to everyone (who meets the residency requirements) not just working mothers who exceed a certain salary level and work hours.

However there are changes coming this January. You won't get it if you (as a family) earn more than $150k per year. Also the payment is being changed to a spread of fortnightly payments rather than a lump sum.

Some employers may supply a maternity package but this is discretionary (similar to the way that a lot of employers exceed the SMP in the UK). You probably won't get anything working for a supermarket but you will probably get something if you work for the government or have a high profile job (e.g. lawyer).

PS: This is another recent thread on the subject http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=536444
Funnily enough I read this the other week http://smallbusiness.theage.com.au/g...913157337.html
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
Funnily enough I read this the other week http://smallbusiness.theage.com.au/g...913157337.html
That's good news for the employees. Let's hope it makes them work harder.

Disclosure: The author currently holds WOW shares.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
That's good news for the employees. Let's hope it makes them work harder.

Disclosure: The author currently holds WOW shares.