Reload this Page >

Maternity Expenses & Medicare

Maternity Expenses & Medicare

Old Sep 2nd 2004, 12:27 pm
Kangaro

sameerj200 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Maternity Expenses & Medicare

Hi all
Can anyone guide me on the approximate maternity ( hospitalization + doctor's consultancy) expenses in Oz. ( sydney / melb) . Iunderstand that the govt gives Au$3000/- for a new born baby, is it to cover the maternity expenses? Can we cover these maternity expenses under medicare?

sam
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 1:01 pm
Back in Brisbane!

fimart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Maternity Expenses & Medicare

Originally Posted by sameerj200
Hi all
Can anyone guide me on the approximate maternity ( hospitalization + doctor's consultancy) expenses in Oz. ( sydney / melb) . Iunderstand that the govt gives Au$3000/- for a new born baby, is it to cover the maternity expenses? Can we cover these maternity expenses under medicare?

sam
I don't really have any idea of the cost of having a baby but the $3000 is supposed to be for anything you need for the baby but really is just an encouragement (bribe, election sweetener by the government) to get more people having babies. Most people I know who received it spent it on treats for themselves! I think (and please correct me if anyone who knows exact costs etc) that most of it is covered by medicare. Unless of course you want to go private and then it would be more.
Fi
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 1:31 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

In Qld at least, if you are a public patient in a public hospital & attend antenatal classes at the hospital, have scans done there etc, the cost is totally covered by Medicare. Cant comment on other states for sure, but my guess is that its the same.

As Fi has mentioned however, if you want to go private, you'll need to pay (& my guess is quite alot). Also, if private & claiming from a health fund, you will have had to pass the waiting period for obstetrics (usually 12 months) before you can claim anything.
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 9:19 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
In Qld at least, if you are a public patient in a public hospital & attend antenatal classes at the hospital, have scans done there etc, the cost is totally covered by Medicare. Cant comment on other states for sure, but my guess is that its the same.

As Fi has mentioned however, if you want to go private, you'll need to pay (& my guess is quite alot). Also, if private & claiming from a health fund, you will have had to pass the waiting period for obstetrics (usually 12 months) before you can claim anything.
There was a recent government announcement saying they would pay off part of the gap for private patients using the new medicare safety net scheme. Not sure of the details as there is too much election fog at the moment.
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 11:01 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah public is all covered by Medicare, private you would be looking at about a $3000 -$5000 out lay.