British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Mascara allergy issue! ARGHHHHH (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/mascara-allergy-issue-arghhhhh-682301/)

Jen1977ni Aug 22nd 2010 9:37 pm

Mascara allergy issue! ARGHHHHH

Ok, in the UK I used to use really cheap Natural Collection (Boots own) waterproof mascara, £2 a pop and I brought over a few to keep me going. Now that I've run out I've been trying to invest in a new one, so, last weekend I bought a Maybelline one - OH, OK, I'M ALLERGIC TO IT, GREAT! And it was $16 too, ARGHHHHH....this weekend I got a Rimmel one, it too was around the $16 mark, and GUESS WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I'm allergic to it too!!! Has anyone else had this same problem? My allergic reaction occurs under my eye, even though I only ever use mascara on my top lashes and the red lumpiness is just not becoming!!! I've now wasted over $30 and am not really happy about wasting anymore!!! So what is in these mascaras that's producing this reaction?! PLEASE HELP, SOMEONE?!?! :confused:

Kooky. Aug 22nd 2010 10:02 pm

Re: Mascara allergy issue! ARGHHHHH

Couldn't tell you what's causing it but I have a similar problem, very sensitive eyes (and skin). I can use Body Shop and Clinique.

I can't use many products from either brand but the mascaras seem to be fine. Body Shop eye make-up remover is also good, very gentle - I've been using it for many years. Inexpensive, too.

jad n rich Aug 22nd 2010 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 8795070)
Ok, in the UK I used to use really cheap Natural Collection (Boots own) waterproof mascara, £2 a pop and I brought over a few to keep me going. Now that I've run out I've been trying to invest in a new one, so, last weekend I bought a Maybelline one - OH, OK, I'M ALLERGIC TO IT, GREAT! And it was $16 too, ARGHHHHH....this weekend I got a Rimmel one, it too was around the $16 mark, and GUESS WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I'm allergic to it too!!! Has anyone else had this same problem? My allergic reaction occurs under my eye, even though I only ever use mascara on my top lashes and the red lumpiness is just not becoming!!! I've now wasted over $30 and am not really happy about wasting anymore!!! So what is in these mascaras that's producing this reaction?! PLEASE HELP, SOMEONE?!?! :confused:

Very sensitive to products here, innoxa or almay do a sensitive/hypo range, but like most stuff in oz , not cheap:sneaky:

I buy most stuff overseas, a $19 buck mascara here is around $6 in USA.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Aug 22nd 2010 10:16 pm

Tried eBay UK?

koalakim Aug 22nd 2010 10:52 pm

Can you get someone to mail some to you?

Even the same brands and types are different out here. Bought a Rimmel one in the UK and have just replaced it here and it's got a different brush!

Also it will be probably cheaper to buy in the UK even with the postage - make-up is soooo expensive here!

Kelli28 Aug 22nd 2010 10:55 pm

Agree with seasider try bodyshop or do what I do and get extensions :thumbup:

LouiseR Aug 23rd 2010 1:11 am

You can buy Boots makeup in Cosmetics Plus. I've seen number 7 and natural collection in there :).

HelenTD Aug 23rd 2010 2:28 am

Sympathies to all. I have reactions to mascara and eye make up remover too, so I'll try your suggestions. I thought that I'd avoid the need for mascara by getting my eyelashes dyed, but had a big reaction to that too:eek:.

Pollyana Aug 23rd 2010 4:50 am

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 8795115)
Tried eBay UK?

You beat me to it - always loads of Boots stuff on there :)

Jen1977ni Aug 23rd 2010 7:12 am

Originally Posted by LouiseR (Post 8795309)
You can buy Boots makeup in Cosmetics Plus. I've seen number 7 and natural collection in there :).

Ooooooo now that's good to know, I'll have a look!!!

Sherlock Holmes Aug 23rd 2010 7:17 am

Anyone know if there is a branch in Melbourne? :)

LouiseR Aug 24th 2010 7:10 am

Originally Posted by alistairboyle (Post 8795875)

I'd imagine so. Do you have Westfields down there? There's usually a Cosmetics Plus in Westfield or some of the other shopping malls. :)

Kelli28 Aug 24th 2010 7:29 am

Originally Posted by alistairboyle (Post 8795875)

Do you have problems with your eye make up and alergies Alistair :lol: You could try cleaning your make up brushes they may have bacteria on them or a cold compress or eye drops to reduce any redness. Also try walking away from your computer screen once an hr with your eyes closed to rest them ;)

Nix and Mike Aug 26th 2010 1:58 am

I use a botanically based hypoallergenic product called Arbonne. Swiss formulated, and made in the US. Excellent products (they also have an anti ageing skin care range which has done wonders for me!) - availbale on line. PM me if want to find out more !
Nix