Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Married Quarters around Rockingham`

Married Quarters around Rockingham`

Old Aug 6th 2007, 12:32 am
3 Yrs til the good life!

terriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really nice
Default Married Quarters around Rockingham`

Hi all, just wondering for armed forces people if any of you live in married quarters in and around garden island, not sure where they'd be but wondered what the accomodation is like and whether or not you had problems getting a quarter. did you have to rent privately first? If we come over dh will be stationed on garden island and i wouldn't want to be too far from there to be honest so was looking at areas but wondered where the majority of the married quarters were located. Cheers
Old Aug 6th 2007, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Married Quarters around Rockingham`

Originally Posted by terriefarrell
Hi all, just wondering for armed forces people if any of you live in married quarters in and around garden island, not sure where they'd be but wondered what the accomodation is like and whether or not you had problems getting a quarter. did you have to rent privately first? If we come over dh will be stationed on garden island and i wouldn't want to be too far from there to be honest so was looking at areas but wondered where the majority of the married quarters were located. Cheers
Hello Terrie

I don't know about defence dept housing but I know some lads at work who are thinking of buying a property nearby and leasing it to the navy on a ten year term.

Recently the dept of defence houseing has been advertising the sale of their stock. So it looks like it's going the same way as the UK.

Keel
Old Aug 6th 2007, 9:24 am
3 Yrs til the good life!

terriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really nice

Originally Posted by keel
Hello Terrie

I don't know about defence dept housing but I know some lads at work who are thinking of buying a property nearby and leasing it to the navy on a ten year term.

Recently the dept of defence houseing has been advertising the sale of their stock. So it looks like it's going the same way as the UK.

Keel
I've never lived in an MQ over here but if we're going to make the move it would seem logical to get one there so we can get to know the area etc before we decide on where we want to be, get to kknow the areas etc.
Old Aug 6th 2007, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

janet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud ofjanet66 has much to be proud of

Hi we move on the 10th sept , to this area , seems to be a shortage of housing , not having a luck at present. A friend who is moving from melbourne is having trouble aswell and hes in there system been there 6 months , even he cant get a MQ.
Ill keep you posted janet
Old Aug 6th 2007, 10:24 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Rentals in general are a bit of a pain at the mo but as someone said they`ve been advertising in the paper for people who want to rent to RAN. Put it this way they can`t be any worse than some of the MQ`s in UK.
I wouldn`t worry too much, they`ll have to house you somewhere, when do you come out here Terrie??
Old Aug 6th 2007, 10:26 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janet66
Hi we move on the 10th sept , to this area , seems to be a shortage of housing , not having a luck at present. A friend who is moving from melbourne is having trouble aswell and hes in there system been there 6 months , even he cant get a MQ.
Ill keep you posted janet
That seems to have went in really quick Janet - are you looking forward to it ?? I have to say it`s a bit different from Fareham & Gosport
Old Aug 6th 2007, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

handbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to allhandbagmad is a name known to all

Hi Terrie

ADF in Perth rent private houses for ten years, then redecorate and hand them back to owners.

Regards
Old Aug 6th 2007, 11:51 am
3 Yrs til the good life!

cheers guys, we're well off moving but i'm just doing a load of research....i know they give you a rental allowance if you rent somewhere other than a married quarter but if they can't find a quarter for you in the first place do they pay all your rent?
Old Aug 6th 2007, 11:52 am
3 Yrs til the good life!

oh and are they furnished or unfurnished or a mix of both?
Old Aug 6th 2007, 11:55 am
3 Yrs til the good life!

I found this but when it says 'contribution' is that your contribution or ADF's contribution?

Last edited by terriefarrell; Aug 6th 2007 at 11:56 am. Reason: enter link
Old Aug 6th 2007, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

cornish is an unknown quantity at this point

MQs are unfurnished, but if you arrive here before your shipping container defence housing can help arrange the temporary rental of furniture, but it will be charged to you. if you are only at the early stages of the transfer then you can get general housing info in sydney and elsewhere from defence housing http://www.dha.gov.au/contact-us/hou...centres/sydney

oh and are they furnished or unfurnished or a mix of both?
Old Aug 6th 2007, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

hutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the rough

No MQ's as such in Aus. DHA (Defence Housing Association) rent private houses in the local area for military personnel. No housing on garden island.
Current fortnightly rent for your home will be around $280. Remember in Aus we get paid every fortnight, not monthly like in the UK.
I found the quality of MQ's to be very good compared to the UK. No MQ estates, private rentals in established streets.Hope this helpful

Terry
Old Aug 6th 2007, 12:29 pm
3 Yrs til the good life!

Originally Posted by hutchy
No MQ's as such in Aus. DHA (Defence Housing Association) rent private houses in the local area for military personnel. No housing on garden island.
Current fortnightly rent for your home will be around $280. Remember in Aus we get paid every fortnight, not monthly like in the UK.
I found the quality of MQ's to be very good compared to the UK. No MQ estates, private rentals in established streets.Hope this helpful

Terry
woah fortnightly, that'll take some getting used to! So we'd pay around $280 a fortnight.....we have 3 kids so does rent depend on how big the property is? Happy that there aren't any estates really ....that's one of the reasons i've never wanted to live in a quarter here, i always thought they could be quite clicky. Would the kids have to share rooms or could we pay a bigger contribution in order to get a 4 bedroom? Sorry so many bloody questions!
Old Aug 6th 2007, 12:45 pm
Paula Eddie and Family

Paula223 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by keel
Hello Terrie

Keel
Hi there,my name is Paula and i work for the (defence) cleaning there propertys and they are really nice so you will not be disapointed,there is also a house next door to me that the defence bought which was brand new in SettlersHills Baldivis Rockingham.Dont worry about the houses there great
Old Aug 6th 2007, 4:57 pm
3 Yrs til the good life!

Originally Posted by Paula223
Hi there,my name is Paula and i work for the (defence) cleaning there propertys and they are really nice so you will not be disapointed,there is also a house next door to me that the defence bought which was brand new in SettlersHills Baldivis Rockingham.Dont worry about the houses there great
Thanks Paula, just not sure what they would give us with three kids and wondering about the furnished, unfurnished thing. The areas seem to be nice though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.