Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Married an ozzie girl, anyone else or is it just me?

Married an ozzie girl, anyone else or is it just me?

Old Jul 29th 2006, 9:26 am
Just Joined

makven is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Married an ozzie girl, anyone else or is it just me?

I am applying for a spouse visa and would like to ask a few questions on: the application process; timescale; supporting info etc! Anyone else been through or going through this process that can give any tips?
Makven
Old Jul 29th 2006, 9:42 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Married an ozzie girl, anyone else or is it just me?

Originally Posted by makven
I am applying for a spouse visa and would like to ask a few questions on: the application process; timescale; supporting info etc! Anyone else been through or going through this process that can give any tips?
Makven
Takes a little while to piece together all the paperwork (stat decs, joint account statements, family photos etc) but once you submit it they turn it round in less than a week.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 11:11 am
Good news everyone...

davidclifford is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by makven
Makven
Try the DIMIA website at http://www.australia.org.uk/vti/html/ (assuming you're in the UK). It has all the information you'll need, plus downloadable application forms and costs. You'll need a police check, private medical & x-ray, solicitor-certified copies of all original documents, statutory declarations (including two from Australian citizens or permanent residents) and as much supporting evidence as you can muster. Generally, you have to prove that you and your partner have been in a relationship for at least 2 years, unless there is a child of the relationship, though there may be some exceptions. The application and other stuff may cost you over £750 in all, and once you've got the visa you must validate it by visiting Australia, with your partner, within 1 year. Becoming an Aussie ain't cheap - so start saving! Good luck!
Old Jul 29th 2006, 11:15 am
Good news everyone...

davidclifford is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh...and by the way, on no account be tempted to use an agency.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 11:44 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by davidclifford
Oh...and by the way, on no account be tempted to use an agency.

Agreed. The worst is assembling all the info, but once that's done and you've sent it off, it'll be back in your hot sticky hand in a flash. Mine took 4 days.
It's probably the easiest visa out of the lot.

Got questions as you go along, fire away.

Also, do a search for Spouse Visa on here and on the visa forum for lots of threads that you should read to give you a good background and help.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 12:06 pm
Bite my shiny metal ass!

treefrog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iPom
Agreed. The worst is assembling all the info, but once that's done and you've sent it off, it'll be back in your hot sticky hand in a flash. Mine took 4 days.
It's probably the easiest visa out of the lot.

Got questions as you go along, fire away.

Also, do a search for Spouse Visa on here and on the visa forum for lots of threads that you should read to give you a good background and help.
A lot of them are already assembled under the ReadMe: Useful Australian Links, Top Tips & To Do List an the top of the list of threads. Just noticed! Have a gander if you haven't already.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 12:07 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by treefrog
A lot of them are already assembled under the ReadMe: Useful Australian Links, Top Tips & To Do List an the top of the list of threads. Just noticed! Have a gander if you haven't already.

I am loving that avatar treefrog.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 12:10 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidclifford
Try the DIMIA website at http://www.australia.org.uk/vti/html/ (assuming you're in the UK). It has all the information you'll need, plus downloadable application forms and costs. You'll need a police check, private medical & x-ray, solicitor-certified copies of all original documents, statutory declarations (including two from Australian citizens or permanent residents) and as much supporting evidence as you can muster. Generally, you have to prove that you and your partner have been in a relationship for at least 2 years, unless there is a child of the relationship, though there may be some exceptions. The application and other stuff may cost you over £750 in all, and once you've got the visa you must validate it by visiting Australia, with your partner, within 1 year. Becoming an Aussie ain't cheap - so start saving! Good luck!
Generally correct, but you don't have to be in a rel'ship for 2 years. If you are married, you can apply at once, if you are de facto, you need to have been living together for 12 months (or have very good reasons for living apart).
Also, to validate your visa, its only you that has to travel - your partner does not need to go with you, as they will have either a visa, or am Aussie passport, in their own right.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 1:23 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's just you. I married an Aussie lad
Old Jul 29th 2006, 2:37 pm
Banned

Rug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud of

What about at the end of the 2 years is that bit easy to get PR?
Cheers
Old Jul 29th 2006, 2:47 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
It's just you. I married an Aussie lad
And me
Old Jul 29th 2006, 2:49 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Rug13y
Cheers
The PR is a lot easier than the temp residence - couple of stat Decs and police checks, and some proof that the relationship is ongoing, and there you have it.
Main thing is that DIMA send the papers to you, you don't actually apply for it, so you MUST keep DIMA updated with your current address.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 9:17 pm
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
And me
Yeah but your a PR now, time to trade in the bloke.

Thats what I tell my hubby when he gets on my nerves "got my PR, dont need you anymore"
Old Jul 29th 2006, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

ClareW will become famous soon enoughClareW will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Rug13y
Cheers

I was given a permanent resident visa straight away. Probably because I'd been with my aussie for 10 years when the application went in, married for 7 and have two kids, who we'd already registered as Australians.

I guess that means it's not a totally automatic process and they do wade through the forms, statements, photos etc...

Good luck with the application.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 11:05 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen
Yeah but your a PR now, time to trade in the bloke.

Thats what I tell my hubby when he gets on my nerves "got my PR, dont need you anymore"
So, I threatened to trade Polly in every now and again seeing she has PR........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.