Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

marriage of convienence

marriage of convienence

Old Sep 28th 2003, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

veevee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default marriage of convienence

I must be bored writing all these stupid things but once a friend of mine from the UK came here on holiday to seriously find a woman to marry purely for residency. Anyone else heard of this? Having sponsored my partner on de facto grounds i know it is really hard to "prove" your relationship even though it is obviously genuine they always seem to make you feel guilty over something or another.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

People do this all of the time, not that I am condoning it. It makes it harder for people to prove everything nowdays, as people all too easily flought the law and rules.

I am sure there are lots of people looking to marry Aussies just to get out there as well!
Old Sep 28th 2003, 3:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I gather its particularly common amongst far eastern brides, marrying purely to get in to Oz.
As you said Veevee, it makes the rest of us who are genuine feel really guilty when we are questioned about how genuine our relationships are. Anyone who has ever had to write a statement, proving that you and your partner love each other, will know that it makes your relationship seem "different" somehow. You have to look at it and analyse the reasons why you are in love - might make it stronger in the long run I guess, but it does leave you feeling weird.
Then there are the sleepless nights when you wonder whether they will believe that you are genuine - and what do you do if they don't believe you.
I'm afraid this is one of my "soapbox" topics - lots of people want to get to Oz, but I will never condone those who do it by lying - they just make it harder for the rest of us.

Pollyana

Very much in love with my Bloke, and can't wait to be with him again!
Old Sep 28th 2003, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

My Thai friend had a nightmare trying to get into Oz, after her marriage to an Ozzie. During the time they were waiting for their marriage to be approved by the Aussies, they came over to England to live and had their daughter. She was seven by the time they got to Aus. It was an awful time for them both - the authorities just didn't believe that it was a real marriage!!!
Old Sep 28th 2003, 5:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Must be awful for people from places like Thailand and the Philippines who are in a genuine relationship, because those are apparently among the countries with the highest rate of marriages of convenience.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 5:25 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Got a mate who is just about to marry her Aussie boyfriend of 6 months so that she can stay in Australia. The stupid thing is that the main reason they're doing it is to see if their relationship will continue to grow...she can't get residency by any other means (she's tried) and he can't leave the country because he has his own business. In order to stay together, they have to get married. Mind you, the process is just the same as the de facto slog, but, as she puts it, they have to be a bit nicer about it...we'll see.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 4:18 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Recently there were media stories regarding russian internet brides. One of the waivers for waiting 2 years for PR is domestic violence. The sad idiots who have bought these brides are accused of bashing the applicant. The applicant then gets PR and some of the sponsors assets.

The record claim was 4 hours from disembarking the aircraft.

I do not have figures on the problem so there may be some media hype.