Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

marriage certificate after a divorce

marriage certificate after a divorce

Old May 3rd 2006, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

thebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud of
Question marriage certificate after a divorce

Hi all, just wondered if anyone can shed some light on this for me..... on the application form for the skilled independant visa it asks about previous marriages. My husband is the main applicant and has been married before. I know that this means i need to get certified copies of his divorce papers and our new wedding certificate. The confusing bit is that our agent says that we need a copy of his original marriage certificate too. Is this correct?

Surely the fact that he has divorced and remarried makes the old cert irrelevant!! Also dont they destroy the old one after a divorce. ie you hand it back in.

If anyone has any experience of this please enlighten me. If i do need to get a copy it doesnt help that he cant remember the date he was married!!! Argh!! :scared:

Thankyou
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:53 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: marriage certificate after a divorce

Originally Posted by thebardies
Hi all, just wondered if anyone can shed some light on this for me..... on the application form for the skilled independant visa it asks about previous marriages. My husband is the main applicant and has been married before. I know that this means i need to get certified copies of his divorce papers and our new wedding certificate. The confusing bit is that our agent says that we need a copy of his original marriage certificate too. Is this correct?

Surely the fact that he has divorced and remarried makes the old cert irrelevant!! Also dont they destroy the old one after a divorce. ie you hand it back in.

If anyone has any experience of this please enlighten me. If i do need to get a copy it doesnt help that he cant remember the date he was married!!! Argh!! :scared:

Thankyou
just sent you a PM

jackie
Old May 3rd 2006, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Thankyou
Hi,

You can apply to the registry office where the original marriage was lodged. Although the marriage has since been disolved you can still request copies of the certificate - which was a surprise to me.

Hope this helps

Tracey
Old May 3rd 2006, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Also......................

You do need to create a paper trail of all marriages, divorces etc. Your agent is right.

Tracey

Originally Posted by Ozzy dog
Hi,

You can apply to the registry office where the original marriage was lodged. Although the marriage has since been disolved you can still request copies of the certificate - which was a surprise to me.

Hope this helps

Tracey
Old May 3rd 2006, 10:21 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzy dog
Also......................

You do need to create a paper trail of all marriages, divorces etc. Your agent is right.

Tracey
thank god I'm not Elizabeth Taylor then!
Old May 3rd 2006, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold

My hubby was married before. we used an agent and we got our visa granted, but we did not have to provide his first marriage certificate, just the decree thingy.
Old May 3rd 2006, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

thebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud of

Ok looks like i will have to do a bit of digging then. Thankyou all for your help, Jan x
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

khoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant future

Yup you need it, I did!
Old May 3rd 2006, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Thankyou
Your agent is totally correct and no they don't destroy your information on the marriages database. All marriages, deaths and births are basically kept forever, period. Your hubby should be able to give his full name and his exwife's full name and the area where they got married in order to get a copy of the Marriage Certificate.