Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

MARRIAGE CELEBRANT FEES

MARRIAGE CELEBRANT FEES

Old Oct 14th 2009, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

LOLLYSPAIN has a brilliant futureLOLLYSPAIN has a brilliant futureLOLLYSPAIN has a brilliant futureLOLLYSPAIN has a brilliant futureLOLLYSPAIN has a brilliant futureLOLLYSPAIN has a brilliant futureLOLLYSPAIN has a brilliant future
Default MARRIAGE CELEBRANT FEES

I have been researching for marriage celebrants and their fees, is it a set fee to get married in Queensland or can they charge at their discretion? Ive contacted two celebrants and their fees varied from $550 to $450, this was in the cairns area, all we want is a simple beach wedding, no fuss.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:04 pm
native West Aussie

Genevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant future
Default Re: MARRIAGE CELEBRANT FEES

Marriage celebrants are regulated federally. The website with all the info is here:
http://www.ag.gov.au/www/agd/agd.nsf...etting_Married
It appears they can charge as they wish. One thing to keep in mind, if you're getting married during the week (as opposed to the weekend) they may give you a discount, as it's an 'off peak' time for them.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 9:55 pm
Cobbalobs

grossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to allgrossenbol is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Genevieve
Marriage celebrants are regulated federally. The website with all the info is here:
http://www.ag.gov.au/www/agd/agd.nsf...etting_Married
It appears they can charge as they wish. One thing to keep in mind, if you're getting married during the week (as opposed to the weekend) they may give you a discount, as it's an 'off peak' time for them.
They cannot charge for getting married on a public Queensland beach! But they also cannot keep the public off during the ceremony. My sis got married on the Gold Coast couple of weeks ago and her celebrant was $350!!
Old Oct 14th 2009, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

flower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really nice
Smile Re: MARRIAGE CELEBRANT FEES

Originally Posted by LOLLYSPAIN
I have been researching for marriage celebrants and their fees, is it a set fee to get married in Queensland or can they charge at their discretion? Ive contacted two celebrants and their fees varied from $550 to $450, this was in the cairns area, all we want is a simple beach wedding, no fuss.
I recently got married in Palmwoods qld, and i checked out several Celebrants prior to booking dates etc... I found that they all charged around $400 to $500. So it comes down to you personal preference.

We were very lucky! I found a lady that was intelligant, caring, proffesional
that went beyond what she was paid for. My advice is to ask what will they do for you and see what makes them tick, if you feel happy then i think paying extra is worth it in the end.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 11:07 pm
native West Aussie

Genevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by grossenbol
They cannot charge for getting married on a public Queensland beach! But they also cannot keep the public off during the ceremony. My sis got married on the Gold Coast couple of weeks ago and her celebrant was $350!!
That's right, the venue fee is a separate issue. The celebrant charges for their time, the paperwork, etc etc. and there isn't a standard schedule of fees as such.

We got married in a public area and we didn't have to pay a charge for the marriage venue, but we did have to pay the celebrant. Luckily we got married midweek so it was pretty quiet.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 8:13 am
Just Joined

LOLLYSPAIN has a brilliant futureLOLLYSPAIN has a brilliant futureLOLLYSPAIN has a brilliant futureLOLLYSPAIN has a brilliant futureLOLLYSPAIN has a brilliant futureLOLLYSPAIN has a brilliant futureLOLLYSPAIN has a brilliant future

Thanks to Genevieve, Grossenbol & flower33 for your helpful posts.

Old Oct 15th 2009, 10:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Friends recently got married in a small park on the edge of the beach and had to pay for a licence to use the park. Other people could still use the park and if they decided to get together and erect a tent and have a party they didn't need to get a licence. A wedding was different apparently
Old Oct 15th 2009, 12:24 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Friends recently got married in a small park on the edge of the beach and had to pay for a licence to use the park. Other people could still use the park and if they decided to get together and erect a tent and have a party they didn't need to get a licence. A wedding was different apparently
Never had a problem with the Redcliffe Council when we got married in Pelican Park at Clontarf, but that was 6 years ago. Celebrant costs then was $500.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

Nursing is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am a celebrant - and yes we can charge what we wish too. We have to abide by a Code of Practice, which outlines the service we have to provide, including asking for feedback. The average charge seems to be between the $400 - $600. Everyone supplies different services, you get the celebrant that will only perform one ceremony regardless of what you want, or then you get celebrants like me that spend a minimum of 10 hours from the meetings, the writing, the deliverance and the nice little extras that I do. I craft an introduction based on the couple and how they met etc and a bit of history, I try to create a word picture for all the guests. The only parts of the ceremony that can't be changed is the declaration that I am an authorised celebrant and stating my full name, the vows to your lawful husband/lawful wife before the witnesses present, and the witnesses have to be over 18. Also have to state the couples full names at least once in the ceremony. Unity ceremonies, inclusion of children from previous relationships etc can all be included. Readings selected by the couple to be performed by friends and so on. For all this work that I do, I end up getting $40.50cents an hours. My advice to you is always seek out a celebrant that offers an obligation free meeting, so that you know they are the right fit, ask to see some of the feedback they have had from other couples. Make sure you ask for the full price, mine is always inclusive of everything including a rehearsal. Some people are more happier paying $700.00 for the wedding cake, the celebrant runs last in the scheme of things and yet without us their is no wedding. Regarding the parks, some of the local councils request that you book a park or beach and they will charge a fee for the popular areas, make sure you give the booking receipt or a copy of it to the celebrant so that when they get to the location and 1 hour before the wedding they can move other people on. The council usually the day before goes and inspects the area and makes sure it is nice and clean for the ceremony.

Edith Rice - Lota Queensland
Old Oct 20th 2009, 8:29 am
Just Joined

Thank you Nursing for your helpful post.

I have had quite a few replies from celebrants in the Cairns area, and now its just sifting through to try and find the best suitable for us.

The situation is difficult as my fiancee has just been made redundant and redundancy looms on my job, so we are on a tight budget as we are coming over from Tenerife, Canary islands for the wedding and to visit my sister in Clifton Beach.

Ive had a reply from a celebrant who is prepared to undertake the ceremony and including everything she will charge $450 which is the best price I have had so far.

Once again many thanks

LOLLY
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:38 am
Just Joined

Nursing is an unknown quantity at this point

Lolly - The $450.00 sound about right.

Nursing