Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Marriage before application??????

Marriage before application??????

Old Jun 4th 2006, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Lee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud ofLee&Jade has much to be proud of
Question Marriage before application??????

I am just about to fill the application form for skills assessment, so haven't yet applied for visas. I'm going to apply for the Skilled – Independent (subclass 136) visa. Does anyone know if it would be best to get married before I apply (Cheaper/less hassle)? We have been living together for more than one year, with joint mortgage and bank accounts etc... also engaged for 2 years??
Cheers, Lee
Old Jun 4th 2006, 10:53 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage before application??????

Originally Posted by Lee&Jade
I am just about to fill the application form for skills assessment, so haven't yet applied for visas. I'm going to apply for the Skilled – Independent (subclass 136) visa. Does anyone know if it would be best to get married before I apply (Cheaper/less hassle)? We have been living together for more than one year, with joint mortgage and bank accounts etc... also engaged for 2 years??
Cheers, Lee
If you have been living together more than a year it shouldn't make any difference to your application if you are married or not. If you are planning on getting married sometime soon, go for it, but don't do it just to show DIMA a licence.
Old Jun 4th 2006, 11:52 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage before application??????

Originally Posted by Lee&Jade
Cheers, Lee

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOO

Definately not.

We were told by the agents saleman that it would be better for us to get married and they still charged us 500 quid extra as wewere defacto. We arranged wedding bought rings dress etc got down to booking the registry office and we rang the agent and they told us it didnt matteras we had paid for defacto !!!!!!!!

Getting married for the visa took all the shine off it as we were oiff on a round the world trip and was going o get married on a beach in thailand or in a hot air balloon over the canadian rockies,somethging spontanious and fun.

We never went through with it as we were so dissapointed after all the convrsations about the planning of the wedding etc.

We are happily co habiting and will have kids toigether, but we are n ow just going to have a blessing on a beach somewhere.

It dpesnt make it any easier and you have all the proof they need as you have been together ovr a year in the same house.

You will need to write stat decs about each other and get friends and/or family to do a couple, saying how long theyve known you how they know you, what happened to you when you met your partners and how you felt, various places they have been with you as a couple and how you seemed in each others company and what goals and aims for the future you have etc etc.

please learn from our mistake its not worth the hassle and sign in front of solicitor or JP etc(notary)

good luck

al and clare

Last edited by alkristensen; Jun 4th 2006 at 11:55 pm.