British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Marmite or Vegimite. Battle for the king of spreads. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/marmite-vegimite-battle-king-spreads-159370/)

PeteY Jun 14th 2003 10:37 am

Marmite or Vegimite. Battle for the king of spreads.

Ok,

Which is best?

The wife reckons vegimite.

I reckon marmite.

Your opinion?

Also....anyone ever heard what vegimite was nearly called? Its great :)
It was nearly called Pawill. The ad slogan was going to be, if marmite, pawill. :rolleyes:

Cheers
Pete.

Snitzy Jun 14th 2003 11:02 am

Re: Marmite or Vegimite. Battle for the king of spreads.

You missed a category ....
" I have both jars in the cupboard and I still can't tell the bloody difference !! "
Or is it only me ?
Love them both!
S.

Applied Sept 2001
Granted Mar 2003
Must be a record !

jockney Jun 14th 2003 12:54 pm

Re: Marmite or Vegimite. Battle for the king of spreads.

Originally posted by PeteY
Ok,

Which is best?

The wife reckons vegimite.

I reckon marmite.

Your opinion?

Also....anyone ever heard what vegimite was nearly called? Its great :)
It was nearly called Pawill. The ad slogan was going to be, if marmite, pawill. :rolleyes:

Cheers
Pete.
All horrible to me pete,my fav is bramble jelly for my very sweet tooth!!!
:)

Pookin Jun 14th 2003 1:29 pm

It's got to be Marmite....and what about the Cadbury's chocolate?

From what I remember Vegemite lacked that hit, a bit like smoking a Silk Cut when you're used to Benson & Hedges.

I do remember having discussions about Cadbury's chocolate, it seemed to taste less intense/creamy.

Someone said something about an extra ingredient that stops chocolate going off in the heat.

Any ideas?

grubelice Jun 14th 2003 1:42 pm

They are both vile. Far too salty so can't be good for you. I think you have to acquire a taste for it when you were a nipper and we didn't have it at home. We were more the bread and jam types or Shiphams Salmon spread.

E

PeteY Jun 14th 2003 2:10 pm

Re: It's got to be Marmite....and what about the Cadbury's chocolate?

Originally posted by Pookin
From what I remember Vegemite lacked that hit, a bit like smoking a Silk Cut when you're used to Benson & Hedges.

I do remember having discussions about Cadbury's chocolate, it seemed to taste less intense/creamy.

Someone said something about an extra ingredient that stops chocolate going off in the heat.

Any ideas?
Yea cadbury chocolate is more, well....powdery ? in Oz. Its the anti-melt ingredient......

BritboyNZ Jun 14th 2003 2:14 pm

eeeeewwwww they're both disgusting. how anyone can eat either is beyond me!!!

Even after nearly 3yrs in NZ, I still havent gotten used to the chocolate!! Cadburys in NZ/OZ tastes far too sickly for me, same with mars bars & twix's (which I used to consume voraciously back in the UK). Maltesers are ok, plus there's some really nice NZ made chocolate - Whittakers which is scrumptious :)

footie chick Jun 14th 2003 4:12 pm

Sorry not a marmite girl can`t stand it, so won`t even try vegemite.

footie chick

tinaj Jun 14th 2003 5:43 pm

I love Marmite, but everyone else in my family hates it! I will be taking a couple of huge jars with me when we go.

When I was a kid my friend used to eat Bovril spread, now that is disgusting.

icklepickle Jun 14th 2003 6:01 pm

They are both disgusting but vegemite has less salt and so can be fed to small children by the bucketload so it gets my vote.

:-)

Gra.B Jun 14th 2003 6:51 pm

Originally posted by tinaj

When I was a kid my friend used to eat Bovril spread, now that is disgusting.
Hey!! Nothing wrong with Bovril, in fact I still have it! I'll probably sound like a right twat now but my favorite snack is a Bovril Toastie! Before I cook it I put a few small drops on the outside aswell, which then burns but tastes great!

....further recipes available on request

Gra..

hevs Jun 14th 2003 7:05 pm

marmite definately, vegimite is too bland. Bovril on toast is luverrly too:)

claireg3 Jun 14th 2003 11:04 pm

Was a marmite girl but then gave vegemite a try and now am a convert. Have to have me marmite on hot buttered toast with a cup of coffee in the morning and thats me ready for sorting the kids out. Still like marmite and have a jar on standby in the cupboard in case tescos stop selling vegemite.
Why do you think we are going to OZ?

Sunlover Jun 15th 2003 1:29 pm

Marmite is heaps better than Vegimite mate. Vegimite is too bloody salty.

However you forgot to mention Bovril which clearly rules and which I cannot find here.

emmyandphil Jun 16th 2003 7:08 am

:( i feel sick even thinking about it. For the first 3 months of pregnancy all i could eat was marmite on toast, now even the thought makes me feel ill :scared: But i must admit i love bovril on toast. Cant seem to find it here (NZ) but i eat beef tea on toast instead :p

hehehe

Em