Mark Viduka

Old Sep 17th 2002, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Gareth W is on a distinguished road
Default Mark Viduka

For those who are not in the know, Viduka is a an Australian striker who plays for Leeds United.

I bumped into him in Leicester service station last Sunday on our way to London. I said hello and congratulated him on the win against Man U and mentioned that I was emigrating to Aus on the Wednesday. From then on we chatted for 5 to 10 mins, or more correctly I fielded questions from him for 10 mins !

- what visa have you got, where are you headed, how long for and even (incredibly) what do your parents think about it !

In the time we were talking he never once mentioned himself or Leeds. Talk about down to earth !

There's no real point to this story other to say that this particular Aussie was a great bloke who was far more interested in talking about a complete stranger emigrating to Aus than jabbering on about himslef and giving it the "big star" treatment.

Good on ya !

"marching on together - we're gonna see you win !
Old Sep 17th 2002, 11:43 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mark Viduka

Originally posted by Gareth W:
For those who are not in the know, Viduka is a an Australian striker who plays for Leeds United.

I bumped into him in Leicester service station last Sunday on our way to London. I said hello and congratulated him on the win against Man U and mentioned that I was emigrating to Aus on the Wednesday. From then on we chatted for 5 to 10 mins, or more correctly I fielded questions from him for 10 mins !

- what visa have you got, where are you headed, how long for and even (incredibly) what do your parents think about it !

In the time we were talking he never once mentioned himself or Leeds. Talk about down to earth !

There's no real point to this story other to say that this particular Aussie was a great bloke who was far more interested in talking about a complete stranger emigrating to Aus than jabbering on about himslef and giving it the "big star" treatment.

Good on ya !

Just a thought he lives in UK why? could play and live anywhere in Europe.
Old Sep 17th 2002, 1:16 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Viduka was on the Footy (that's AFL Footy) Show a few weeks ago as well with Harry Kewell when Leeds were in Melbourne playing a pre-season warm up against Colo-Colo from Chile (which I sadly went to see ...), and apart from being a Collingwood supporter he came across as a really decent bloke.

Unlike Kewell, who's a SydneySider and who seemed completely out of his depth, not knowing anything about Aussie Rules.

Regards.

Originally posted by Gareth W:

Good on ya !

Old Sep 17th 2002, 4:41 pm
Robert Edwards

He has played and lived in quite a few places ......he is where the money is
for his career.....no need to detract from Gareth's story, as he said there
was no real point to it but it was pleasing to him and I am glad he shared
it

"pommie bastard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:417477.1032262998@britishexpats-
.com
>
> > "marching on together - we're gonna see you win !
>
> Just a thought he lives in UK why? could play and live anywhere in
> Europe.
>
> --
> Posted via http://britishexpats.com
>

Old Sep 17th 2002, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Alan Collett:
Viduka was on the Footy (that's AFL Footy) Show a few weeks ago as well with Harry Kewell when Leeds were in Melbourne playing a pre-season warm up against Colo-Colo from Chile (which I sadly went to see ...), and apart from being a Collingwood supporter he came across as a really decent bloke.

Unlike Kewell, who's a SydneySider and who seemed completely out of his depth, not knowing anything about Aussie Rules.

Regards.

hi alan which afl team do you root for then.
i see geelong nearly made the playoffs this year, sure they will be there next year when they have another supporter behind em me
up the cats shaun
Old Sep 17th 2002, 10:51 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Shaun,

You don't use the word "root" in Australia as it has a very different meaning ... :-))

The word to use is barrack - as in "Who do you barrack for?" - and yes, I barrack for the Cats. A very disappointing end of the season for the Cats as they finished just outside the top 8, having gone 7 games unbeaten in the middle of the season. They needed to win one of their last 3 games to make it into the 8 - but they lost them all.

Still they're a young side, and many were tipping them for the wooden spoon at the start of the season.

Go you Cats!

Originally posted by shaun/lor:

hi alan which afl team do you root for then.
i see geelong nearly made the playoffs this year, sure they will be there next year when they have another supporter behind em me
up the cats shaun

Last edited by Alan Collett; Sep 17th 2002 at 10:56 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2002, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Alan Collett:
Shaun,

You don't use the word "root" in Australia as it has a very different meaning ... :-))

The word to use is barrack - as in "Who do you barrack for?" - and yes, I barrack for the Cats. A very disappointing end of the season for the Cats as they finished just outside the top 8, having gone 7 games unbeaten in the middle of the season. They needed to win one of their last 3 games to make it into the 8 - but they lost them all.

Still they're a young side, and many were tipping them for the wooden spoon at the start of the season.

Go you Cats!

alan dont think it does have a diffrent meaning maybe your just not as passionate about the game as you should be lol lol lol
sorry couldnt resist that your right shaun

Old Sep 18th 2002, 7:26 am
Robert Edwards

You probably want to change your terminology in Oz if you ask who you are
rooting for you may be surprised at the answer

"shaun/lor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:418137.1032302770@britishexpats-
.com
    > Originally posted by Alan Collett:
    > > Viduka was on the Footy (that's AFL Footy) Show a few weeks ago as
    > > well with Harry Kewell when Leeds were in Melbourne playing a
    > > pre-season warm up against Colo-Colo from Chile (which I sadly went
    > > to see ...), and apart from being a Collingwood supporter he came
    > > across as a really decent bloke.
    > >
    > > Unlike Kewell, who's a SydneySider and who seemed completely out of
    > > his depth, not knowing anything about Aussie Rules.
    > >
    > > Regards.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > hi alan which afl team do you root for then.
    > i see geelong nearly made the playoffs this year, sure they will be
    > there next year when they have another supporter behind em me
    > up the cats shaun
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 19th 2002, 12:51 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Robert Edwards:
He has played and lived in quite a few places ......he is where the money is
for his career.....no need to detract from Gareth's story, as he said there
was no real point to it but it was pleasing to him and I am glad he shared
it

Very true he has played else where but the money is in UK he earns more than any one who plays sport in Australia only.
Golfers and tennis players etc earn their living abroad , Kewell left Australia at 16years and old both parents are British so any interest in ariel ping ping would be limited.