Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mark Latham resigns

Mark Latham resigns

Old Jan 18th 2005, 3:41 am
ABCDiamond

Default Mark Latham resigns

Opposition leader Mark Latham has resigned as leader of the Labor Party and from the federal parliament.

January 18, 2005 - 2:56PM
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...810871499.html

The focus will now move on to a who will next lead the Labor Pary with many senior figures supporting former leader Kim Beazley.

Old Jan 18th 2005, 3:46 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Mark Latham resigns

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Opposition leader Mark Latham has resigned as leader of the Labor Party and from the federal parliament.

January 18, 2005 - 2:56PM

The focus will now move on to a who will next lead the Labor Pary with many senior figures supporting former leader Kim Beazley.

If its anyone but Kim I'd be surprised. Equally its of no suprise that Mark Latham has resigned..... about time probably.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 3:52 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mlbonner
If its anyone but Kim I'd be surprised. Equally its of no suprise that Mark Latham has resigned..... about time probably.
He does seem to have been dragging it out.
It's a good job he didn't win the election, and then have this happen. For someone who kept saying "Don't vote for Howard, he won't stay in office, and you'll end up with someone else", it would have been a bit embarrasing for him.

Old Jan 18th 2005, 4:00 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

He does seem to have been dragging it out.
It's a good job he didn't win the election, and then have this happen. For someone who kept saying "Don't vote for Howard, he won't stay in office, and you'll end up with someone else", it would have been a bit embarrasing for him.

Just a bit. I can't say I was particularly enamoured by most of his election campaign.... just as well I can't vote here really
Old Jan 18th 2005, 4:38 am
ABCDiamond

January 18, 2005 - 4:24PM

Beazley to run for Labor leadership

Former Labor leader Kim Beazley says he wants to lead the party again after Mark Latham's decision today to quit federal politics

"I am absolutely fired with ambition," he said.

Old Jan 18th 2005, 4:39 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

His resignation as an MP comes as a suprise. What's he going to do next - get a job at Woolies?
Old Jan 18th 2005, 4:44 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jayr
His resignation as an MP comes as a suprise. What's he going to do next - get a job at Woolies?
Man Boobs is a gonner. Not sure that Beazley is the winner either although he'd give Amanda vanstone a run for her money in a pie eating contest.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 4:46 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Blimey. I was off sick, too, last week - & none of my colleagues have asked ME to resign....

Given his condition, it's possible that Latham is actually quite seriously sick. If so, despite the rights & wrongs of his campaign & personality, I think he's been treated appallingly. Even UK Tory leader Michael Howard managed to be polite enough to wish Tony Blair a speedy recovery from his heart op. the other week...

Just what is going on here...? Are we being told the whole story?

Anya.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 4:49 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Blimey. I was off sick, too, last week - & none of my colleagues have asked ME to resign....

Given his condition, it's possible that Latham is actually quite seriously sick. If so, despite the rights & wrongs of his campaign & personality, I think he's been treated appallingly. Even UK Tory leader Michael Howard managed to be polite enough to wish Tony Blair a speedy recovery from his heart op. the other week...

Anya.
He seemed fully sik swimming in Terrigal. The bloke was on the way out anyway. This just made it a quick removal.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 4:49 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Anya.

Its politics... do we ever get told the whole story!!
Old Jan 18th 2005, 4:59 am
ABCDiamond

Anya.
If he hadn't been seen at the Holiday Resort, whilst sick and unable to comment on the recent disaster, or if he had even offered an explanation for it, then "maybe" he wouldn't have been hounded as much ?

Old Jan 18th 2005, 8:02 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

If he hadn't been seen at the Holiday Resort, whilst sick and unable to comment on the recent disaster, or if he had even offered an explanation for it, then "maybe" he wouldn't have been hounded as much ?
I gather that his condition can be potentially terminal, so I guess I htought he might have taken his family away so they could talk about it & work out what to do. Only time will tell of course, but I do think we probably don't know all the facts...

Anya.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 8:15 am
ABCDiamond

I gather that his condition can be potentially terminal, so I guess I htought he might have taken his family away so they could talk about it & work out what to do. Only time will tell of course, but I do think we probably don't know all the facts...

Anya.
I think that would be a very acceptable reason for the actions, and you could then understand why nothing would have been said in public.
I sure wouldn't want a politicians public life. Shoot first, ask questions later !

Old Jan 18th 2005, 9:03 am
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

I think that would be a very acceptable reason for the actions, and you could then understand why nothing would have been said in public.
I sure wouldn't want a politicians public life. Shoot first, ask questions later !
I'm sorry that Latham's illness has compelled him to retire from politics. I thought the Labor Party sadly and badly needed a new face and voice. His stance and comments about John Howard and Australia's involvement with the Iraq war were, I thought, dead on the button, even if less than diplomatic. But he did become more tactful after gaining the leadership of the Party and even though it was defeated at the last election, partly because of his inexperience, it was a position he could have grown into.
As for Beazley as leader, he's a tired old party hack, like his opposite number John Howard. Either man will say or do whatever's expedient to enable them to take and hold on to power, both are masters of the ambiguous phrase which never turns out to mean quite what we, as electors, thought it meant.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 9:33 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Originally Posted by TheCrone
I'm sorry that Latham's illness has compelled him to retire from politics. I thought the Labor Party sadly and badly needed a new face and voice. His stance and comments about John Howard and Australia's involvement with the Iraq war were, I thought, dead on the button, even if less than diplomatic. But he did become more tactful after gaining the leadership of the Party and even though it was defeated at the last election, partly because of his inexperience, it was a position he could have grown into.
As for Beazley as leader, he's a tired old party hack, like his opposite number John Howard. Either man will say or do whatever's expedient to enable them to take and hold on to power, both are masters of the ambiguous phrase which never turns out to mean quite what we, as electors, thought it meant.
Yes, I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that Aussie politics are about as boring as Brit politics - full of middle aged white blokes in suits .

I think we should start up a branch of the Monster Raving Loony party here in Oz to add some interest to the current dull scene.

I will if you will....

Anya.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.