Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

marino,hallet cove,seacliff.....

marino,hallet cove,seacliff.....

Old Jun 22nd 2008, 11:45 pm
Banned

the big nowhere is an unknown quantity at this point
Question marino,hallet cove,seacliff.....

hi...just looking at these area's as we want to be by the coast/beach...also they seem to have a good train service into town.....does anyone have any local info on what the area's are like,schools,recreation etc............cheers.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

sunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant future
Default Re: marino,hallet cove,seacliff.....

Hello, it depends on how much dosh you have got.
Marino is nice and if you are quite well off, you will get spectacular views of the ocean as your back garden will virtually back onto the ocean (no beach) that's of course if you have an ocean front house. There are two train stops at Marino and Marino Rocks, this train will take you as far as the city one way and Noarlunga centre another. You will be a few minutes to Hallett Cove station shops and about 10 mins from Hallett Cove shopping centre (which is under re-modernisation at the mo) The other way would be minutes to Seacliff. I'm not sure if Marino has a school, someone will let you know that lives there hopefully, but as said, seacliff isn't far.

Hallett Cove: Very large Suburb, where you can be up to 10 mins from local beach or right on it. Still affordable, prices rising all the time (but slowed down recently) Although the closer to the beach, the more expensive it is.
Beach isn't very nice, but nice to walk dog on, although very rocky. HC beach has a nature reserve walkway that runs adjacent to the sea.
HC has 2 train stations, again one way to the city and one way to Noarlunga centre. HC has a shopping centre that is currently being revamped and also 15 minutes in between 2 major shopping centres, Marion, one way and Collonades the other.
There are 3 schools, 2 primary and 1 Reception to year 12.

Seacliff is more expensive than HC, with a lot of older properties.
Seacliff beach is nicer than HC and runs past Brighton beach onto Glenelg.
I know of only 1 school in Seacliff, but I don't live there, so someone will correct me that does. Seacliff isn't far from Brighton (again older and more expensive properties) where there are shops and a small shopping centre.
You will be just over 5 minutes from Marion shopping Mall, which is quite big.
Seacliff also has a train station, which goes the same way as the others.

All in all you will get a feel for what's right for you, when you come and look for yourself.
I live in HC because I liked the look of it. Marino has lovely views but isn't for me and even if we had the money, I wouldn't want to live in Seacliff as it's not to my liking either, but everyone is different. Some people say they feel isolated at HC and I can't see why, but some people prefer to be not far from shops or right by them.

Goodluck in wherever you decide to live.

Julie
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 2:05 am
Banned

the big nowhere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sunnyj View Post
Hello, it depends on how much dosh you have got.
Marino is nice and if you are quite well off, you will get spectacular views of the ocean as your back garden will virtually back onto the ocean (no beach) that's of course if you have an ocean front house. There are two train stops at Marino and Marino Rocks, this train will take you as far as the city one way and Noarlunga centre another. You will be a few minutes to Hallett Cove station shops and about 10 mins from Hallett Cove shopping centre (which is under re-modernisation at the mo) The other way would be minutes to Seacliff. I'm not sure if Marino has a school, someone will let you know that lives there hopefully, but as said, seacliff isn't far.

Hallett Cove: Very large Suburb, where you can be up to 10 mins from local beach or right on it. Still affordable, prices rising all the time (but slowed down recently) Although the closer to the beach, the more expensive it is.
Beach isn't very nice, but nice to walk dog on, although very rocky. HC beach has a nature reserve walkway that runs adjacent to the sea.
HC has 2 train stations, again one way to the city and one way to Noarlunga centre. HC has a shopping centre that is currently being revamped and also 15 minutes in between 2 major shopping centres, Marion, one way and Collonades the other.
There are 3 schools, 2 primary and 1 Reception to year 12.

Seacliff is more expensive than HC, with a lot of older properties.
Seacliff beach is nicer than HC and runs past Brighton beach onto Glenelg.
I know of only 1 school in Seacliff, but I don't live there, so someone will correct me that does. Seacliff isn't far from Brighton (again older and more expensive properties) where there are shops and a small shopping centre.
You will be just over 5 minutes from Marion shopping Mall, which is quite big.
Seacliff also has a train station, which goes the same way as the others.

All in all you will get a feel for what's right for you, when you come and look for yourself.
I live in HC because I liked the look of it. Marino has lovely views but isn't for me and even if we had the money, I wouldn't want to live in Seacliff as it's not to my liking either, but everyone is different. Some people say they feel isolated at HC and I can't see why, but some people prefer to be not far from shops or right by them.

Goodluck in wherever you decide to live.

Julie
hi julie...many thanks for such detail.....we only want to spend $750k - $800k if we can get away with it.....train is geat as didn't want to drive into town and also we think kids will go to school in town so can sometimes catch the train.....definately want to see the ocean as we did in nz.........
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by the big nowhere View Post
hi julie...many thanks for such detail.....we only want to spend $750k - $800k if we can get away with it.....train is geat as didn't want to drive into town and also we think kids will go to school in town so can sometimes catch the train.....definately want to see the ocean as we did in nz.........

Only $750 -$800!!!
You will find some great properties around there at that price.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

sunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant future

I agree you will get a great property for that price, although I think a seafront house in Marino and Seacliff may be a little more depending on the condition. In Hallett Cove you will get as close to the sea as possible for that money. Again they are different suburbs with different feels, so a look around when you get here, will give you a better idea on where you want to settle.
Just look on Realestate.com and they will give you an idea of what you are going to pay. House prices have slowed down at the mo, but over 6 months ago, you would have to pay more than the asking price to get the house that you were looking for.

Good luck.

Julie
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

I can give the Seacliff Primary (small school, big personality) a big thumbs up Greg Miller the Principle is a wonderful man....but my info is now 2 years out of date ....sorry

Hallett Cove is (on the whole) very new and sterile (think stepford wives) Marino has plenty of character, although is a rather small area....also no local shops (in the car for everything) Seacliff is an older suburb, some wonderful character period properties, but at a price. And don't forget the 'Brighton High School Zone'....parts of which are in Seacliff (just) Very VERY desirable indeed and will make your $750+ look like small change for a 5 bedroomed house..... eeek! I know I've tried

Along the same lines...but more exclusive consider Somerton Park, South Brighton and Brighton.

Good Luck with it all.......
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

With that sort of money you will get a really nice place in most of those suburbs ....no idea why people should feel isolated in Hallet Cove though
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

I don't see Hallett Cove as being isolated either, but I have heard just a few people say it. It beats living in a suburb that just rolls into one and then another... and another. Which is what you get with Seacliff, Hove, Brighton, Somerton park etc. You can drive down the Brighton road and within minutes drove past several suburbs.
Hallett Cove is one big one with rolling hills (tiring if walking up) which I think gives the place character and there is hardly a place you can be in HC where you can't at least get a sea glimpse. There are newer parts and older parts, all with a different look.
To me, Seacliff and the likes are very bland (unless on seafront) and the front gardens are not to be seen behind the high fences, which can be anything from, brush fencing, metal fencing etc, which, personally I think doesn't look very characteristic.
So, to the OP, you have 2 difference of opinions, regarding HC and Seacliff and that is why I said make your decision when you come because what one person likes another one doesn't.

Julie