Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Marine insurance for shipping

Marine insurance for shipping

Old Apr 30th 2012, 3:56 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute
Default Marine insurance for shipping

Well, I have to say that I'm especially pleased with myself as I have managed to save myself over £350 on my shipping insurance by going wit Letton percival instead of the policy offered by the removal company....

2.8% for removal company insurance 1.3% for Letton Percival.... a decent saving of money I'd say!!

Especially as the actual shipping was around the same price for all the different companies...

The removals company didn't like it very much and tried to kick up a stink. But the rep at lepton dealt with it for me so it really wasn't too much hassle....
Old Apr 30th 2012, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Marine insurance for shipping

Originally Posted by alipally
Well, I have to say that I'm especially pleased with myself as I have managed to save myself over £350 on my shipping insurance by going wit Letton percival instead of the policy offered by the removal company....

2.8% for removal company insurance 1.3% for Letton Percival.... a decent saving of money I'd say!!

Especially as the actual shipping was around the same price for all the different companies...

The removals company didn't like it very much and tried to kick up a stink. But the rep at lepton dealt with it for me so it really wasn't too much hassle....
Well done! We also got an offer of 1.3% from Letton Percival. The lowest price the removal company could offer is 2.5%. I am just about to email the removal company to accept a quote and inform them that we will organise our own insurance - they'd better not try to give me a hard time
Old May 1st 2012, 12:22 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Shippers are very used to customers going direct to Letton Percival rather than going through them. Some people don't want any fuss and are happy to pay the extra, others are happy to do some of the legwork themselves, it's just a service the shippers provide. They won't give you a hard time.
Old May 1st 2012, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you opt for the mould insurance
Old May 1st 2012, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Mazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud of

Thanks Moneypenny - and you were quite right! I received an email response at 8am this morning from the removal company rep re our acceptance of their quote. No hard time re organising our own marine insurance

Beoz - yes mould and mildew cover is included - cheers!
Old May 1st 2012, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

How much would it be for a 40 foot container?

I'm thinking of going to the UK and buying a caravan and a ute and shipping them over. Does anyone know what taxes I would be paying to import them?

Keel
Old May 3rd 2012, 1:24 am
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keel
How much would it be for a 40 foot container?

I'm thinking of going to the UK and buying a caravan and a ute and shipping them over. Does anyone know what taxes I would be paying to import them?

Keel
You would have to own and drive the ute in UK for at least 12 months to be able to get a personal import approval. Alternatively you could get a pre-89 model and go down that route, but unless your ute is very sepcial it won't be worth the trouble.

Duty is 10%, GSt is 10% on the ute and the GST.