March flies.

Old Jul 4th 2003, 12:04 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default March flies.

MM, i suspect you might know, but if anyone else does please do say so.

When i was last in oz the march flies were really getting my hackles up. No repellant would keep them off (that i tried anyway).

Now, you don't get a itchy mark like with a mozzie, and they don't really hurt...but they are damned annoying!!

Satisfying too in a way i guess. They are'nt the quickest bugs around and are generally easy to whack off with a thong....

How do you keep em off??
Old Jul 4th 2003, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Don't hurt! are you sure.

Got absolutely hammered by the bloody things on Frasier last year.

When they bite it hurt me like hell. Or am I just a wimp.
Old Jul 4th 2003, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

unrefined_mind is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Nibbs
Don't hurt! are you sure.

Got absolutely hammered by the bloody things on Frasier last year.

When they bite it hurt me like hell. Or am I just a wimp.
Not a wimp Nibbs - I was on Frasier Island too with bunch of guys all acting like a bunch of girls running around screaming!
They DO hurt like hell, funny when its someone else, but not when they come after you....lol

UM

Last edited by unrefined_mind; Jul 4th 2003 at 12:31 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2003, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

ellen1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: March flies.

Originally posted by PeteY

When i was last in oz the march flies were really getting my hackles up. No repellant would keep them off (that i tried anyway).

Now, you don't get a itchy mark like with a mozzie, and they don't really hurt...but they are damned annoying!!

Satisfying too in a way i guess. They are'nt the quickest bugs around and are generally easy to whack off with a thong....

How do you keep em off??
What a thong??
Old Jul 4th 2003, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

sundarize is an unknown quantity at this point

How do you keep em off??

Just a minute....... did you say "thong"?

If you kept your underwear on, you might no get bitten so much
Old Jul 4th 2003, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point

Flies - yuk - dirty annoying little bleeders. Anyone got any tips, or grandma's recipes to keep them at bay - like smeer yourself with elephant dung and lavender. I haven't been over in the heat of the summer so I haven't had a great deal of experience with the flies. Dont' mind spiders too much but its cockroaches and flies that give me the jip. And before the insults start with - what's a lily livered sheila pom coming to Oz is if you don't like flies - I am not a total wimp having handled a 17 foot python, large eagles, ferrets to name but a few, in my time.

Any tips for flies and what areas are there most flies. Any tips ditto re cockroaches. I have heard that some fly. Oh yeah and mossies.

Elaine
Old Jul 4th 2003, 12:55 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by sundarize
Just a minute....... did you say "thong"?

If you kept your underwear on, you might no get bitten so much
Ahhhhhhh so thats where im going wrong

Wondered why i got the funny looks walking down the beach !
Old Jul 4th 2003, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ellen1
What a thong??

Ellen, thats what the Ausies call flip flops

Whisky
Old Jul 4th 2003, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

ellen1 is an unknown quantity at this point

wow whiskey, you learn something everyday !
Old Jul 5th 2003, 12:29 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

How do you keep em off??
yes pete the little bastards give me a hard time , they take chunks out of you, if you scratch the bites ,they seem to get infected, i find calomine lotion seems to work, the flys on frasier island are sand flies ,[smaller cousins] but just as lethal, my mother tells me that they called March flies, "horse flies"??...... MM
Old Jul 5th 2003, 12:35 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Cool

Originally posted by grubelice
Flies - yuk - dirty annoying little bleeders. Anyone got any tips, or grandma's recipes to keep them at bay - like smeer yourself with elephant dung and lavender. I haven't been over in the heat of the summer so I haven't had a great deal of experience with the flies. Dont' mind spiders too much but its cockroaches and flies that give me the jip. And before the insults start with - what's a lily livered sheila pom coming to Oz is if you don't like flies - I am not a total wimp having handled a 17 foot python, large eagles, ferrets to name but a few, in my time.

Any tips for flies and what areas are there most flies. Any tips ditto re cockroaches. I have heard that some fly. Oh yeah and mossies.

Elaine
You will all understand why ozzies mumble ,as soon as the "bush"or sticky flies emerge in summer, the minute you open your mouth, in like flynn.......................... MM