Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Map for Sydney (any suggestion)

Wikiposts

Map for Sydney (any suggestion)

Old Feb 25th 2010, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

ThKmOZ has a spectacular aura aboutThKmOZ has a spectacular aura aboutThKmOZ has a spectacular aura about
Default Map for Sydney (any suggestion)

Hi All,
I've plan to go Sydney near future, so I'm worry as I lost in the city . I want to buy Sydney map and don't know which Map (hard copy and also (off line map) soft copy) is the best for new comer.
As at the beginning I can't buy Car. I'll find job first. At that time I'm not familiar the City and don't know where to go for interview and other place etc.
So I'm appreciate of all of your advice for which Map is good for Sydney, Including Hard copy of Map book and soft copy offline map for Microsoft Windows and mobile phone.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ThKmOZ; Feb 25th 2010 at 5:47 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Map for Sydney (any suggestion)

hmmm thats a hard one
maybe Google Maps !!!!!!
Old Feb 26th 2010, 10:52 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, print off a google map complete with Walking directions for wherever you need to be.

Print one for "280 Pitt St, Sydney NSW 2000, Australia" which should get you to Mapworld, a fantastic shop with more maps than you could ever need. It's not far from Town Hall station.

They'll have a handy city map, smaller than A5, that you can keep in your bag wherever you go. I still find it handy and always give one to visitors.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 10:03 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, you will find it very hard to get a map that will come up to UK standards.

Part of the problem is that the areas are so large that a map with much useful information on streets etc will be enormous and/or split into so many sheets or pages that it's difficult to keep oriented - or the map is of such a small scale that although you can see the suburbs, only main roads are able to be shown.

I have an AAMI map which does show all the suburbs, has quite a few roads on it and is so used it is falling to bits!

The Gregorys map books are good for showing small streets but you often have to use a dozen or more pages to find your way from A to B.

No easy answer....
Old Feb 27th 2010, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

ThKmOZ has a spectacular aura aboutThKmOZ has a spectacular aura aboutThKmOZ has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for all reply,
I've to think about printed map as well as soft copy map, I'm so used to with computer. But sometime printed map is useful than software map.

one question, how you guys searching place in Sydney, I mean which way and which website on net?

At Singapore most of the Singaporean use www.streetdirectory.com online map. Also use offline software map which distributed by Streetdirectory.com.

Anyway, thanks for your reply , still finding which one is more convenience for me
Old Feb 27th 2010, 12:19 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

ThKmOZ, I know the one you mean and I used it when I lived there, it was very handy.

http://maps.google.com/ does all that and more.

You can look up your location, you can 'search nearby' for, say, 'restaurant', and you can calculate distances between two places. If you haven't yet discovered the wonder of Google Maps, well, you really need to!

You sound a bit to me like you're having a last minute panic about moving to a strange country. Sydney CBD is actually very compact and easy to find your way round once you get some landmarks and a sense of direction. The harbour/Circular Quay is a great landmark to use. Take a deep breath, get on that site, and you'll be fine lah!