Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Many Stages of Poms

The Many Stages of Poms

Old Mar 31st 2003, 11:36 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default The Many Stages of Poms

For The Light Hearted Only:

The Many Stages of Poms:

1. My Life is shit: miserable, rainy, dirty bloody minded Britain,
2. Seeing the light: Aussie soaps reflected from dark rimey windows,
3. The Idea: Emigrate!,
4. The Doubt: Have I gone bonkers?,
5. The Resurrection: My Life is shit, transportation to Australia has to be better than this,
6. The Flogging: two years of Limbo but the Goal is Nigh,
7. The Revelation: God Loves Me, got me PR!
8. More Flogging: God Damn, bloody house sale fell through again,
9. The Exaltation: Yes, Yes, bless the sucker who bought my house, I'm off to meet the Wizard, The Wonderful Wizard of OZ!,
10. More Flogging: Dear, just think, we will only ever have to pack this once, sorry you can not take the front loader,
11. The Excitement: Wheeeee! we are off TOMORROW!!! Dear God don't let us die before we reach the promised land,

To be continued by popular demand ...
Old Mar 31st 2003, 7:30 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Excellent!!!!!

Old Mar 31st 2003, 11:36 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Come on my pet Poms, surely you know the Stages of Poms in Aus better than I!
Old Mar 31st 2003, 11:55 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

11. Wow, it's hot and sunny
12. Look at those beaches!
13. Everything's so cheap converted into sterling!
14. My house is enormous
15. And I've got a Pool!!
16. I'm nver going back!

16. Actually, it's a bit too hot...
17. And the beaches are miles away, and once you've seen one...
18. Wait a minute, these dollars don't go very far...
19. This bloody house takes forever to keep clean..
20. And if I have to empty that pool filter of s**t again ...
21 How much for a flight to the UK
Old Apr 1st 2003, 12:36 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by jayr
11. Wow, it's hot and sunny
12. Look at those beaches!
13. Everything's so cheap converted into sterling!
14. My house is enormous
15. And I've got a Pool!!
16. I'm nver going back!

16. Actually, it's a bit too hot...
17. And the beaches are miles away, and once you've seen one...
18. Wait a minute, these dollars don't go very far...
19. This bloody house takes forever to keep clean..
20. And if I have to empty that pool filter of s**t again ...
21 How much for a flight to the UK
22. Where are my real friends, surely I'm worth more than one visit?
23. What, four years to the next promotion and its only gonna be worth $10k?
24. I'm gonna smash that TV set in a minute.
25. God I'm bored.
26 GOD I'M BORED.
27. How much would it cost to return?
28. My god, look at those UK house prices. Cant understand it, how can it be, makes no sense, i was sure it was a horrible place and prices would soon reflect that.
29. Mmm, those photos of family gatherings look nice.
30. Hope the dollar gets stronger soon.
31. Hope the dollar gets stronger SOON.....
Old Apr 1st 2003, 12:58 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
Come on my pet Poms, surely you know the Stages of Poms in Aus better than I!
Good post and even better replies the balls in your court 15-30 , your serve .

33. Jobs going well only put in 12 hours today
34. Pay day again great that its Bi weekly
35. Shame the cash onlys lasts a week
36.Great weather today 38c
37. Bugger the air -cons packed up
38.Off to another BBQ , oh joy hope its just like the last 200
39. Great lifestyle here , seen lots more backyards than the UK
40. Had another Northern England refugee move in next door
41. Sod this why do the worst kind of Brits immigrate
42. Well seen Australia done it and leaving it not worth the air-fare.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Apr 1st 2003 at 1:59 am.
Old Apr 1st 2003, 1:57 am
Banned

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Good post and even better replies the balls in your court 14-30 , your serve .
Play to resume after tea.

Come on all you Willoughby, Wannaroo on the Wallaby Poms!
On the Wallaby

Come on all you Amaroo, Dunedoo toilers DownUnder,

Come on all you Returned Poms and Pomesses,

And all you other Sentimental Blokeys and Blokesses too, come on!
The Sentimental Bloke
Old Apr 1st 2003, 2:02 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Good post and even better replies the balls in your court 15-30 , your serve .

33. Jobs going well only put in 12 hours today
34. Pay day again great that its Bi weekly
35. Shame the cash onlys lasts a week
36.Great weather today 38c
37. Bugger the air -cons packed up
38.Off to another BBQ , oh joy hope its just like the last 200
39. Great lifestyle here , seen lots more backyards than the UK
40. Had another Northern England refugee move in next door
41. Sod this why do the worst kind of Brits immigrate
42. Well seen Australia done it and leaving it not worth the air-fare.

43. Go back to position 1?????

Hope not!
Old Apr 1st 2003, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Herman
22. Where are my real friends, surely I'm worth more than one visit?
23. What, four years to the next promotion and its only gonna be worth $10k?
24. I'm gonna smash that TV set in a minute.
25. God I'm bored.
26 GOD I'M BORED.
27. How much would it cost to return?
28. My god, look at those UK house prices. Cant understand it, how can it be, makes no sense, i was sure it was a horrible place and prices would soon reflect that.
29. Mmm, those photos of family gatherings look nice.
30. Hope the dollar gets stronger soon.
31. Hope the dollar gets stronger SOON.....
Excellent Herman....could equally be NZ you are describing....it cost us near enough $10,000 to return last year (family of 3). 24 hours it might be but cheap it ain't!
Old Apr 1st 2003, 2:28 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Many Stages of Poms

Originally posted by Megalania
For The Light Hearted Only:

The Many Stages of Poms:

1. My Life is shit: miserable, rainy, dirty bloody minded Britain,
2. Seeing the light: Aussie soaps reflected from dark rimey windows,
3. The Idea: Emigrate!,
4. The Doubt: Have I gone bonkers?,
5. The Resurrection: My Life is shit, transportation to Australia has to be better than this,
6. The Flogging: two years of Limbo but the Goal is Nigh,
7. The Revelation: God Loves Me, got me PR!
8. More Flogging: God Damn, bloody house sale fell through again,
9. The Exaltation: Yes, Yes, bless the sucker who bought my house, I'm off to meet the Wizard, The Wonderful Wizard of OZ!,
10. More Flogging: Dear, just think, we will only ever have to pack this once, sorry you can not take the front loader,
11. The Excitement: Wheeeee! we are off TOMORROW!!! Dear God don't let us die before we reach the promised land,

To be continued by popular demand ...
12. We're here, really excited,
13. Still here, still really excited,
14. Still here, got to work now, still excited,
15. Still here, in a routine now, somewhat excited,
16. Still here, in a rut now,
17. Still here,
18. Still here,
19. Start to whinge,
20. - 894. Still here, still whinging,
895. Llanwit Major's beach wasn't really that bad...when you could get a nice big boulder to spread the towel on...and the Bristol channel looks nice when the light is just right...and the rubbish has gone out with the tide...
896. Honey we're home...
Old Apr 1st 2003, 3:06 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

43.(ish) Wow, it's great here. No more worrying in the UK about bloody immigrants coming in and using the NHS

44. Just got a bill for visiting a doctor!!! Shouldn't we get it free, the Queen is still head of state after all.

45. Met a lovely couple from Britain, just round the corner from us in Essex - small world! They said they'd introduce us to their other British friends from Essex here. Feel like we're settling in now.

46. Australian TV is great! They've got The Bill, At Home with the Braithwaites and even Take The High Road. And Home & Away and Neighbours are like really far ahead! Shame about Eastenders though.

47. Woolworths is great, just like Kwik Save back home and they sell really funny things like water called Pump and cheese called Coon and even washing powder called Omo, it's mad! I wish they had some proper English Tea and not all this stuff made in China and India though.

48. Went to the beach today - fab! Stayed on all day and it got really empty around lunchtime which was great. Skin's gone a funny colour but I'm sure it'll be ok, got to get get your sun in haven't you?

49. Got paid today and they must have got it wrong, must be emergency tax or something - means I'll get some back I suppose.

50. They've got weekly British papers! Just bought the Mail to catch up on what's happening back home. They've also got one called the Telegraph, can't say I heard of it in Britain though. You think they'd have the Sun for all us expats.

51. Having a BBQ tonight with Jim and Barbara. They've just arrived from Hornchurch, thought we'd celebrate in the typical Aussie way with some steaks and Fosters!

52 etc.
Old Apr 1st 2003, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future
Default this is so true...

ALL the replies on this thread about OZ have hit the nail on the head. Unfortunately, had I still been in the UK and reading them, I am one who would have thought "oh well, that`s just what THEY think, I KNOW BETTER - IT`S GOING TO BE GREAT".

Such is life...

Until you get here, and "live the dream" you won`t understand what people are saying. Wish I`d learnt from those who tell the truth - still, never mind, back off to Europe soon - yippee!!! Why? I want my children to have a decent future, not one in a land where "dole bludgers" are the norm, where getting ratted in your own garden with a few very boring people is called "a social life" and where we can actually feel a sense of COMMUNITY. That last point is the biggest problem here.

If you look at places all over Europe - France, Greece, Spain, Germany, Italy, all these have settlements where there is a distinct community (these are the only places I`ve visited, so can only comment on those) - what do we have in Oz? A vast "suburbia" where the high point in a person`s week is a visit to the local "RSL" for a night on the "pokies"...

why did I come here? Was persuaded by father-in-law who had visited his brother a few times, and reckoned it was "the place to be for the children`s future" (what a crock) plus numerous other little bits of bull picked up from various sources. Yes, more fool me. However, I am lucky enough to have a second chance - as I said, Europe, here I come!!!
Old Apr 1st 2003, 7:42 am

Default Re: this is so true...

Originally posted by pommiesheila
ALL the replies on this thread about OZ have hit the nail on the head. Unfortunately, had I still been in the UK and reading them, I am one who would have thought "oh well, that`s just what THEY think, I KNOW BETTER - IT`S GOING TO BE GREAT".

Such is life...

Until you get here, and "live the dream" you won`t understand what people are saying. Wish I`d learnt from those who tell the truth - still, never mind, back off to Europe soon - yippee!!! Why? I want my children to have a decent future, not one in a land where "dole bludgers" are the norm, where getting ratted in your own garden with a few very boring people is called "a social life" and where we can actually feel a sense of COMMUNITY. That last point is the biggest problem here.

If you look at places all over Europe - France, Greece, Spain, Germany, Italy, all these have settlements where there is a distinct community (these are the only places I`ve visited, so can only comment on those) - what do we have in Oz? A vast "suburbia" where the high point in a person`s week is a visit to the local "RSL" for a night on the "pokies"...

why did I come here? Was persuaded by father-in-law who had visited his brother a few times, and reckoned it was "the place to be for the children`s future" (what a crock) plus numerous other little bits of bull picked up from various sources. Yes, more fool me. However, I am lucky enough to have a second chance - as I said, Europe, here I come!!!
I've read your post for a while now. So you've decided to head back to Europe? Good on you. Where in Europe are you planning to settle? I've mentioned before on this forum that we plan to move from London to the Czech Republic in a years time, once we have stashed a few more pounds. Would'nt be the obvious choice to many of course, but its where my wife is from and as it will be a 'new' EU entrant next year, entrepreneurial opportunities abound. I also happen to love the lifestyle out there. Peaceful fun loving people, unspoilt countryside, incredible history/castles/architecture, great beer and food, skiing/snow in winter, warm summers, great forests and lakes everywhere....

Well, I hope you find nice little corner of Europe to call home.
Old Apr 1st 2003, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

53. Lets go for a drive Sydneys only 12 hours away. (Bris)
54. Lets go for a drive Sydneys only 3 days away. (Perth)
55. Lets visit Mum and Dad its only $10,000 away.
56. I love hot weather especially at 2 am.
57. I love blazing sunshine expecially at 4.30 am.
58. The one litre sunblock please.
59. Have you got your Hat/shirt/sunnies/sunblock/water bottles
59. I adore sitting outside till the mosquitoes hit at 6 pm.
60. Oh I didnt know they still made cars with cassette decks.
61. That looks like the computer I had in high school.
63. How much ????
64. Cheese, mild or strong, oh such choice of goods.
65. Creme wot, we dont hav that ere.
65. Formal evening, do not let husband wear thongs, shorts OK.
66. Little Amelia sounds so Oustralian now.
67. They love school here, they do so little work...
Old Apr 1st 2003, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future

68. Ah at last 65 hour working week over, yawn!!
69. Social life.....too tired!
70. Social life.....Weather permitting!
71. "Can I have swimming lessons mum?" "Yeah sure lets get on the waiting list, sports centre will phone us next year if they have a place"!
72. Going to the beach......at own risk, might catch something, UK beaches not known for the cleanliness.
73. Paedophiles pull up in school play grounds to grab kids! True story!!
74. Over 50% of Brits want to leave the UK! Why?!
75. Future for kids :scared:
76. School = Joke!!
77. Too many people suffering from SAD, too many kids with M.E.
78. Too many people!!
80. Too many parasites!
81. Friends & family want out too!
82. Take the shades off you`ll see clearer, remember why you left.
83. Over to you!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.