British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   manual or desk job? which are you? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/manual-desk-job-you-603773/)

Dean_Helen_May-Rose Apr 15th 2009 11:20 pm

manual or desk job? which are you?

i've been quietly reading threads on here for quite some time. I see quite a lot of helpful advise but also alot of people trying to put people of emigrating.

some may be because they want to worn others, some because they are bitter because its not all they thought it would be and some because there true brits and just like a moan! lol

I also see a lot of 'dont come here there are no jobs posts'. I wont say what I think of this but am very keen to hear what you guys do for a living.

I'm guessing from posts I've read that a very large % of users are IT based and office workers. It seams to be very rear I see posts from manual trades men. there also seem to be quite alot of hairdressers and nurses.

so please for mine and other users could you vote in the poll attached where your expertise lye.

Miscellaneous will cover hospitality, catering, hair dressing.

please let me know if you feel another should be added.

Dean_Helen_May-Rose Apr 15th 2009 11:41 pm

Re: manual or desk job? which are you?

thanks for your replies guys cant belive 12 views and only 4 votes???

Its FREE guys and will help a lot of us understand the balance on here.

feel free to state your job if your like to elaborate on things.

Dean_Helen_May-Rose Apr 16th 2009 12:08 am

:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

27 views and just 6 votes.

Mipik Apr 16th 2009 12:17 am

Slow down, relax, votes will come...

I would say not enough options in this poll.
I work as an engineer, that means probably half time in the office, half time in the plant, mostly managing things but frequently working with my hands.
Where do I qualify?

Notts_bloke Apr 16th 2009 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Dean_Helen_May-Rose (Post 7483943)
thanks for your replies guys cant belive 12 views and only 4 votes???

Its FREE guys and will help a lot of us understand the balance on here.

feel free to state your job if your like to elaborate on things.

I don't fit into any of the options, so can't vote.

The_Pom_From_Aus Apr 16th 2009 12:35 am

Dean_Helen_May-Rose;

I have not heard of anyone telling people not to migrate to australia myself
I suppose its swings & roundabouts some like it some don't im also sure people come here expecting to do little work & in reality you have to work to pay the bills & eat.

With regards to Jobs, the I/T industry has come if for a battering there are lots of Aussie people well qualified looking for work, the same now for Trade people there is a mass reduction from employers taking people on maybe people are saying if you have employment in the UK don't come over now due to the recession that's kicking in.

If you look at QLD or Perth there is lots of people looking for work now that's life i suppose i was watching the news the other night & the people on the TV was saying its going to get a lot worse some 10% shall be without jobs in the next year, so in 2 years time what can we all expect we don't know.

I hope this reply does not put you of migrating, but im sure people have genuine concerns for others wanting to make the move to Australia.

There is work available maybe not in massive quantities at this time but i know people are not prepaired to look out of there profession & look at other work. Maybe we like to stay in our own comfort zone & i would think thats natural but if people are starting a new life maybe a career pathway change would be Ok for people.

bcworld Apr 16th 2009 1:29 am

Originally Posted by Dean_Helen_May-Rose (Post 7483914)

I'm guessing from posts I've read that a very large % of users are IT based and office workers.

That's because we sit in front of our laptops 8 -10 hours a day, probably have BE open in one tab of IE all the time.....or maybe even know how to set up a BE RSS feed in Outlook! Nothing get's past us! :D

Bit harder to post so often if you're laying bricks or giving someone a short back n sides!

Kooky. Apr 16th 2009 10:48 am

(double post due to absolutely crap internet connection lately)

Kooky. Apr 16th 2009 10:52 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 7484110)
That's because we sit in front of our laptops 8 -10 hours a day, probably have BE open in one tab of IE all the time.....or maybe even know how to set up a BE RSS feed in Outlook! Nothing get's past us! :D

Bit harder to post so often if you're laying bricks or giving someone a short back n sides!

That's a very good point!

Me - office worker, IT. Was trailing spouse until 2 weeks ago. Him - office worker, IT. Often in somebody else's office. :)

daunted Apr 16th 2009 10:59 am

oops i voted manual trades when perhaps i should have voted misc as im a chef???:blink:

thebooys Apr 16th 2009 11:01 am

l'll vote !

office based senior underwriter - currently waiting on my offer from Aus to go on a sponsored 457 visa.

:thumbup:

fred uk Apr 16th 2009 11:04 am

I've all but retired now.
I was a sound engineer, MC for shows/events and DJ.
I would work again if i could fnd something in broadcasting.

I love being out here and would suggest it to anyone as long as they have an open mind to other cultures and a willingness to mix.

There is another English bloke out here but he's a proper miserable sod. Don't know why he bothered.

Bermudashorts Apr 16th 2009 11:05 am

Have duly voted :p (office worker)

I don't think that there are people telling others not to migrate. Although perhaps here are some saying think hard about doing it at this precise moment considering the economic downturn. I look upon this as good and well meaning advice. I don't generally detect bitterness or people just having a moan in it.

Many countries in the world ARE in recession at the moment, but whenever somebody says so they are accused of being a misery guts. :blink:

NessieNoo Apr 16th 2009 11:21 am

I voted Misc as I am working in a shop...
Prior to coming to Australia I was a Client Exec Account Manager, a customer service advisor and an Office Manager... now I work part time sales for a leading "larger ladies" clothes brand.

Not sure what the poll is supposed to be for but happy if this helps :)

bluekipper Apr 16th 2009 5:55 pm

Ive voted medical, Im not a nurse but I do work in community health, will do manual if necessary, Im not fussed, not looking for a status- just money to pay my way! hubby does manual work.IMO if your willing to do a job below what you think you deserve until something better comes up, then you`l come good (hopefully), if you wont lower your standards or make sacrifices, you will struggle!

Bluekipper