Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Manly/ Wynnum/ Ransome/ Birkdale - Brisbane

Manly/ Wynnum/ Ransome/ Birkdale - Brisbane

Old Jul 28th 2004, 9:52 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Manly/ Wynnum/ Ransome/ Birkdale - Brisbane

Hi,

Can you let me know what you think of these area's and what the facilities are like?

Rent seems alot more reasonalbe there, as does the commute.

Ta,

Paul.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Gryff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Manly/ Wynnum/ Ransome/ Birkdale - Brisbane

Originally posted by diddy
Hi,

Can you let me know what you think of these area's and what the facilities are like?

Ta,

Paul.
Not sure about Ransome, but the others are nice....we move to Wellington Point (near Birkdale) tomorrow. It's really lovely there with a small beach and a shopping area with some lovely cafe's.

Roll on tomorrow
Old Jul 28th 2004, 12:22 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Default Re: Manly/ Wynnum/ Ransome/ Birkdale - Brisbane

Hi,

Ta,

Paul.

G'day Paul,

The Wynnum/Manly area is quite an old, established area next to the sea (nice beaches) in the south-east corner of Brisbane. I lived in the north-west, but enjoyed visiting the area you refer to and have friends who live there.

There is a good train service to the city, so commuting should be easy. There's also a HUGE shopping centre, with everything you could want at Carindale, a bit further inland and to the south. Local shops and supermarkets should provide everything you would want for everyday shopping though. (If you Google "Carindale Shopping Centre", you'll see the types of businesses located there.)

The Aussie equivalent of Multimaps, http://www.whereis.com.au will show you the location of the suburbs about which you enquire.

There's also a useful website for the wynnum/manly area at http://www.wynnum-manly.net/.

Ransome and Birkdale are slightly newer suburbs, relatively speaking, and are further from the beach.

Brisbane, generally, is a fab place to live and, if you keep an open mind to new experiences, I think you'll enjoy your time there!

Old Jul 28th 2004, 1:45 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Guys.

You both mentioned a beach. I didn't think there was one there.

What's it/ they like?

Thanks,

Paul.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 2:10 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Thanks Guys.

What's it/ they like?

Thanks,

Paul.

Bit muddy, from what I recall

PJ
Old Jul 28th 2004, 2:14 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally posted by Jacko1
Bit muddy, from what I recall

PJ

........and sandy maybe????

BTW: Informative post and I can recommend Wynnum/Manly

Last edited by Phoenixuk2oz; Jul 28th 2004 at 2:19 pm.

Old Jul 28th 2004, 10:31 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Guys.

What's it/ they like?

Thanks,

Paul.
We were there a few weeks ago. It's a nice area, I wouldn't mind living there if we were heading to Brisbane. The beach is nothing special, more of a mud flat really.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 5:36 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

We live in Birkdale, and this end (wellington point) is nice, though some bits at the Capalaba end arent so good. Parts of Birkdale are right on the water, the aquatic paradise estate is v.desirable and right on the sea with the canals and mooring behind the houses, though there isnt a beach there. The closest bit of sand to us is at Wellington point, though theres not much of a beach there, its enough for the kids to have a dig and a play. If its the lower rents you're after though I'd guess they'd be at the Capalaba end of Birkdale as its further inland, prices are pretty high at the coast end.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 5:39 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Yep, there are several beaches in the general vicinity. Being close to the mouth of the Brisbane River, they're not the best (perhaps comparable to UK beaches?! ) but still nice for walks. There's also a boardwalk through the mangroves. Naturally, the further you travel away from the city area, the better the beaches become - less spoilt by human habitation!

I've found another local website too ... click here for a picture of part of one beach or here for some aerial (or "arial" as they call them!) photos of the area.

Old Jul 29th 2004, 9:37 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

Thanks guys, this is all really useful.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 12:34 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

There are no beaches in those areas.. what you have is a shoreline.. shallow with mud and sand flats. In parts there can be a tiny bit of a sandy spot that doesn't get covered by high tide., Like take the side of the Yacht club in Manly.. there is just a small sandy patch ( and I mean small) at the end of the road to the right side of the club. The picture on that house site.. there is no beach there, and to call it a beach house is just a twisted name for advertising - beefing up the house a bit .. you're looking at the breakwall to the right, infront of the park it's just shallow shoreline where windsurfers mostly use.. at low tide you will have a bit of sand.

The aerial photo's of the area. they look to me what we have in our boating books for brisbane . You are looking at sand banks which are in the water, and the ones that aren't get covered up by high tide. That whole area has no real beaches, it's shore line basically... ask Mrs Dagboy who lives in the area if you won't take my word for it ( I used to live down that way)

Nearest thing to a beach in Brisbane is Redcliffe.. and even then they are not really beach beaches, and are pretty cR8p ( lived in that area until recently) . for a real beach in Brisbane - Try Bribie Island. They have a real beach which you can take your 4 wheel drive on to in parts . No good if you like surfing though.. it's too protected and doesn't get big surf.

For real beaches.. you need to go to the GC or SC. SC like Noosa has the nicer beaches and can be compared to some of our beaches back in Wales. But I'm biased.. and I've yet to see anything nicer than parts of Wales. Actually I'm not.. I personally think places around Port Stephens ( in NSW) are far more beautiful than here.

If you're looking for real beaches in Brisbane to live next to - forget it.. you do really need to go live in the GC or SC to get real beaches. Anyone here in Brisbane can tell you that... there are no real beaches in Brisbane

Last edited by Ceri; Jul 30th 2004 at 12:40 am.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 7:19 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Ceri
There are no beaches in those areas.. what you have is a shoreline.. shallow with mud and sand flats. In parts there can be a tiny bit of a sandy spot that doesn't get covered by high tide., Like take the side of the Yacht club in Manly.. there is just a small sandy patch ( and I mean small) at the end of the road to the right side of the club. The picture on that house site.. there is no beach there, and to call it a beach house is just a twisted name for advertising - beefing up the house a bit .. you're looking at the breakwall to the right, infront of the park it's just shallow shoreline where windsurfers mostly use.. at low tide you will have a bit of sand.

The aerial photo's of the area. they look to me what we have in our boating books for brisbane . You are looking at sand banks which are in the water, and the ones that aren't get covered up by high tide. That whole area has no real beaches, it's shore line basically... ask Mrs Dagboy who lives in the area if you won't take my word for it ( I used to live down that way)

Nearest thing to a beach in Brisbane is Redcliffe.. and even then they are not really beach beaches, and are pretty cR8p ( lived in that area until recently) . for a real beach in Brisbane - Try Bribie Island. They have a real beach which you can take your 4 wheel drive on to in parts . No good if you like surfing though.. it's too protected and doesn't get big surf.

For real beaches.. you need to go to the GC or SC. SC like Noosa has the nicer beaches and can be compared to some of our beaches back in Wales. But I'm biased.. and I've yet to see anything nicer than parts of Wales. Actually I'm not.. I personally think places around Port Stephens ( in NSW) are far more beautiful than here.

If you're looking for real beaches in Brisbane to live next to - forget it.. you do really need to go live in the GC or SC to get real beaches. Anyone here in Brisbane can tell you that... there are no real beaches in Brisbane
So, let me get this straight Ceri..... What your saying is, there are no beaches in Brisbane? Just to be clear that is. 'Cos you've only said it about ten times in this one post.

Oh yeah, and Wales, it's super, smashing, lovely. (apart from all the Welshy types living there that is).
Old Jul 30th 2004, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

Originally posted by chippy
So, let me get this straight Ceri..... What your saying is, there are no beaches in Brisbane? Just to be clear that is. 'Cos you've only said it about ten times in this one post.

Oh yeah, and Wales, it's super, smashing, lovely. (apart from all the Welshy types living there that is).
yeah, but be fair, as this is constantly being repeated for those people who have this belief that there are beaches next to Brisbane.

THERE ARE NO PROPER BEACHES NEAR BRISBANE!

Go to the Gold coast or the sunshine coast/Bribie island.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 11:17 am
ABCDiamond

The beach at Redcliffe is great for an 8 year old.

Safe, sandy beaches and scenic parks span Redcliffe's 22km of glorious coastline
A surfer and a young child will disagree on what a beach definition is.

My 8 year old is also pretty happy with the smaller beaches at Cleveland.

Old Jul 30th 2004, 8:55 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

Agreed. I think my three year old's may be doing a bit more sandcastle building at the moment than riding the waves.

Thanks,

Paul.

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
The beach at Redcliffe is great for an 8 year old.

A surfer and a young child will disagree on what a beach definition is.

My 8 year old is also pretty happy with the smaller beaches at Cleveland.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.