British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Manly - Sydney CBD Commute (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/manly-sydney-cbd-commute-701037/)

simpic Jan 17th 2011 3:26 pm

Manly - Sydney CBD Commute

Hello,

Can anyone advise on the commute between Manly and the CBD?

How reliant is it?
Are there often delays?
Are the ferries packed? Standing room only?
Not that I suffer from sea sickness, but how rough can it get?

It seems a million times better than the Jubliee Line every day to Canary Wharf :D

Regards,

Simpic

Bermudashorts Jan 17th 2011 7:29 pm

Re: Manly - Sydney CBD Commute

It is an easy journey, I can't speak for the ferries but I do the journey from further up the coast on a bus. Plenty of buses to chose from.

koalakim Jan 17th 2011 7:56 pm

Hi there

I've done the trip at commute times and it was fine. The ferrys are very spot on for timing maybe there is a few minutes delay at times. There can be a bit of a swell as it approaches the heads and I think one or two times it has been cancelled due to bad weather but very rare. I managed to get a seat both ways okay and ended up sitting next to the same person - spooky!

I remember a bit from Bill Bryson's book about why people who commute on the Manly ferry look so smug - made me smile as what a commute to do each day! I've done the trip so many times and never get tired of it. You lucky....thing!!!!

cdb Jan 18th 2011 12:42 am

Its a great commute although you will find yourself using one of the fast ferries that only take 15 minutes as they sell beer on board, I did :)

JoeBloggs80 Jan 18th 2011 1:59 am

Originally Posted by cdb (Post 9109253)
Its a great commute although you will find yourself using one of the fast ferries that only take 15 minutes as they sell beer on board, I did :)

That seems to be a bit of a local secret at the moment.

I went to Manly a couple of weeks ago and the regular ferry was so packed on the way back we couldn't get on and people were standing crushed in for half an hour waiting for the next one.

Then someone told us about the fast one, which not only is quicker and has a bar but was also cheaper! work that one out

simpic Jan 18th 2011 6:32 am

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80 (Post 9109366)
That seems to be a bit of a local secret at the moment.

I went to Manly a couple of weeks ago and the regular ferry was so packed on the way back we couldn't get on and people were standing crushed in for half an hour waiting for the next one.

Then someone told us about the fast one, which not only is quicker and has a bar but was also cheaper! work that one out

Sounds like the one to get. Does it still go from the same place in Manly and CQ?

JoeBloggs80 Jan 18th 2011 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by simpic (Post 9109741)
Sounds like the one to get. Does it still go from the same place in Manly and CQ?

Yeah pretty much. Pier 2 from CQ I think and pier just to the left of the main one at Manly.

paddyo Jan 19th 2011 2:20 am

Originally Posted by simpic (Post 9109741)

The ferry and FastJets do not operate from same wharves. The ferry uses the NSW Maritime Wharf 3 at CQ and the main ferry wharf at Manly. The FastJet operators, there are two using similar timetables, use the tourist Wharf 1 at CQ, same as the harbour powerboats towards the Opera House, and then the public Jetty at Manly next to the Manly Wharf Hotel.
The ferry is far cheaper to use and you can get a weekly 'all in' ticket for $46 which allows you to use buses and trains as well, ideal if you are not close to the CBD. The FastJet is more expensive, $8 single or $72 for a 10 trip ticket but on the return legs of the commute times it is reduced to $4 and is very quiet.
Alcohol only on the FastJets, not the ferries. As for room, both can get full up at peak times, more so the FastJets especially in the mornings adn you may have to stand, the ferry is usually ok and is rare you have to stand.

dogscogs Jan 19th 2011 8:53 pm

The ferries are superb in all honesty, Quite reliable.

There are other options such as the express buses from manly and other
Suburbs on the northern beaches but they can still take up to an hour
To get into the City (no traffic jams on the water!) so my preference is still the ferry.

I do suffer from motion sickness sometimes, but that's usually if I have my head buried in a book or the laptop when it gets rough - and that is not very often really.

If I take the fast ferry, door to door my commute from Manly takes me 45 minutes.

Oh and you get a free Sydney Harbour cruise with every ferry ticket purchased :-)

simpic Jan 20th 2011 9:15 am

Thank you all very much for the replies.

All looks quite doable in comparison to my current commute.

Regards,

Simpic

paddyo Jan 20th 2011 11:57 am

Originally Posted by simpic (Post 9115503)
Thank you all very much for the replies.

All looks quite doable in comparison to my current commute.

Regards,

Simpic

Very!!!

You won't struggle for commute options from Manly.