Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

manly Road / Wynnum Road in Brisbane

manly Road / Wynnum Road in Brisbane

Old Jul 16th 2010, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: manly Road / Wynnum Road in Brisbane

Riding home yesterday was about half way and dreaming about a chat I had with an English guy at work about compulsory helmet laws and big dints in your head when I suddenly realised my hair was flapping in the breeze...doh!!!
Old Jul 18th 2010, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously I would not cycle any where in SE Queensland where you are sharing the road with cars and trucks. There will be those that disagree but countless drivers can not stay the right side of a solid white line especally while on the phone.

The driving is not mad just incompetent which is probably worse.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I've actually been surprised how ok it is...I was expecting worse...most people have let me in when I put my arm out, more so than driving I think. Only had 1 or 2 pass me closer than I thought appropriate.

I agree route selection is important...some very skinny or crap roads around. The easiest off road ways in to the cbd seem to be from the south along the 15km bikeway along the freeway, the west along the bicentennial bikeway from St Lucia or the north west through Wilston, Kelvin Grove, Victoria Park bike way and Roma St Parklands bikeway.

A lot of the people in my team ride in to work so it can be done. Though we are lucky enough to have a big bike centre at work with great facilities so that probably encourages more than usual to ride.

Last edited by fish.01; Jul 18th 2010 at 4:11 am.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:30 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
A lot of the people in my team ride in to work so it can be done. Though we are lucky enough to have a big bike centre at work with great facilities so that probably encourages more than usual to ride.
Good point - we should put in here for prosperity and future googlers about the king george square bike centre where you can lock up bike, get a shower, etc. i havent used it im lucky and have shower in the office but it looks good.

The worst thing i find about cycling here is the obligatory dog in the back of a ute, ive had 2 of those bark at me at head height and it scared the bejeebus out of me. Also the magpies and plubbers in spring are a bloody danger when you are on the road and they dive bomb you.

Choosing the route is absolutely critical as you said. There are usually much quieter/safer options to be had all the time. That and remaining as visible as possible and paying attention. always stuns me to see people with ipods riding.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spalen
Good point - we should put in here for prosperity and future googlers about the king george square bike centre where you can lock up bike, get a shower, etc. i havent used it im lucky and have shower in the office but it looks good.

The worst thing i find about cycling here is the obligatory dog in the back of a ute, ive had 2 of those bark at me at head height and it scared the bejeebus out of me. Also the magpies and plubbers in spring are a bloody danger when you are on the road and they dive bomb you.

Choosing the route is absolutely critical as you said. There are usually much quieter/safer options to be had all the time. That and remaining as visible as possible and paying attention. always stuns me to see people with ipods riding.
The King George square bike centre looks great. The one at our work is modelled off it. Surprised to hear the other day that it isn't full. Haven't had the joy of a Maggie or plover attack yet...do you have those plastic ties sticking out of your helmet?

Am just about to put some crazy monkeylectric lights on my spokes to increase visibility and entertain myself and the 4 yo so expecting people to throw things at me next week....
Old Jul 18th 2010, 6:52 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

The King George square bike centre looks great. The one at our work is modelled off it. Surprised to hear the other day that it isn't full. Haven't had the joy of a Maggie or plover attack yet...do you have those plastic ties sticking out of your helmet?

Am just about to put some crazy monkeylectric lights on my spokes to increase visibility and entertain myself and the 4 yo so expecting people to throw things at me next week....
I havent been attacked by the birds yet this year , Im not sure if its too eraly but a plubber was looking menacingly at me this morning. I had those ties last year though :-)

Ive given up with trying to look good on the bike and just hope nobody sees me. I wore rabobank team kit this mornign (yeah lovely and bright orange around my fat belly ut it was on discount at PBK) with black arm and leg warmers . looked fantastic im sure. And I have lovely flouro yellow long sleeve and a flouro yellow rain jacket - nothing looks good so i gave up. I guess ive finally hit middle age.

The only people who look good in cycling gear are pro cyclists.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spalen
I havent been attacked by the birds yet this year , Im not sure if its too eraly but a plubber was looking menacingly at me this morning. I had those ties last year though :-)

Ive given up with trying to look good on the bike and just hope nobody sees me. I wore rabobank team kit this mornign (yeah lovely and bright orange around my fat belly ut it was on discount at PBK) with black arm and leg warmers . looked fantastic im sure. And I have lovely flouro yellow long sleeve and a flouro yellow rain jacket - nothing looks good so i gave up. I guess ive finally hit middle age.

The only people who look good in cycling gear are pro cyclists.
I think its a bit early...they start soon but get in to full swing in spring. I like this solution on a bicycle forum:

*I just wrap one of the local carpet snakes around my neck. Birds won't come near it.*

Just went for a ride with my newly installed Monkeylectric lights...they look almost as good as the web site...I'm amazed....will definately get things yelled at me this week....lucky at my age I don't care
Old Jul 18th 2010, 8:16 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by neil248
Seriously I would not cycle any where in SE Queensland where you are sharing the road with cars and trucks. There will be those that disagree
Queensland is a big place, and with cycle lanes wider than the cars lane I see no problems.

But then, mine is a generalisation based on a small piece of info, not the accuracy of someone who knows all of Queenslands roads.

Old Jul 18th 2010, 9:06 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

I think its a bit early...they start soon but get in to full swing in spring. I like this solution on a bicycle forum:

*I just wrap one of the local carpet snakes around my neck. Birds won't come near it.*

Just went for a ride with my newly installed Monkeylectric lights...they look almost as good as the web site...I'm amazed....will definately get things yelled at me this week....lucky at my age I don't care
Wow....... I really hope I see you riding around with those lights. Champion

Yeah it's a bit early for the magpies - they usually start swooping at start of September. I have the cable ties on my helmet too (in magpie season). At least they have to pull out of the swoop a bit sooner that way.

Got slammed in the back of my head when I was running once - evil ****ers.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Queensland is a big place, and with cycle lanes wider than the cars lane I see no problems.

But then, mine is a generalisation based on a small piece of info, not the accuracy of someone who knows all of Queenslands roads.
Sorry but I have seen a couple of accidents here ( Gold Coast) involving cyclists and one involving a motorcyclist and felt so sad partly because I felt it was almost inevitable and would not have put myself or allowed my kids to be in that position. Still think drivers in the UK would generally be more aware of a cyclist in front of them. The tow trucks parked up at the side of M1 and other roads waiting for business speaks volumes. We had a minor rear end collision when we stupidly braked well in time as the lights turned yellow ( we did not realise that yellow light means speed up) and a tow truck was there in minutes hoping for work. People get commission for calling them if they see an accident!

My newly emigrated workmate was initially keen to get a motorcycle again but it did not take him long to give up on the idea for the reasons stated above.

Queensland is not a big place as you know as most of us live in the bottom right hand corner although the driving may improve once your north of Logan.
When in Brisbane for work I always felt the driving was better than on the Gold Coast.

Last edited by neil248; Jul 18th 2010 at 11:07 am.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 12:41 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by neil248
Sorry but I have seen a couple of accidents here ( Gold Coast) involving cyclists and one involving a motorcyclist and felt so sad partly because I felt it was almost inevitable and would not have put myself or allowed my kids to be in that position. Still think drivers in the UK would generally be more aware of a cyclist in front of them. The tow trucks parked up at the side of M1 and other roads waiting for business speaks volumes. We had a minor rear end collision when we stupidly braked well in time as the lights turned yellow ( we did not realise that yellow light means speed up) and a tow truck was there in minutes hoping for work. People get commission for calling them if they see an accident!

My newly emigrated workmate was initially keen to get a motorcycle again but it did not take him long to give up on the idea for the reasons stated above.

Queensland is not a big place as you know as most of us live in the bottom right hand corner although the driving may improve once your north of Logan.
When in Brisbane for work I always felt the driving was better than on the Gold Coast.
It is all down to perceptions.

The perceptions of safety, from a QLD Government report were:

The facts actually show the numbers being about the same in both UK and Australia (per capita)
Australian Transport Safety Bureau data indicates that between 2000 and 2005, the number of cyclist deaths has ranged from 26 to 46 per year (about 2 or 3% of total deaths in road crashes in Australia).
http://www.cyclingresourcecentre.org...Common_Crashes

UK: The number of cyclists killed or seriously injured fell by 1% overall to 2296, and the number of fatalities fell marginally by 1% to 146.
http://www.crystal-claims.co.uk/cycl...nt-claims.html
Some recent Australian data 2009.. Total 29
Number of Cyclists Deaths by State:
14 NSW
7 QLD
4 VIC
2 SA
2 TAS
0 WA
0 NT
0 ACT
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa..._database.aspx