Manly, NSW

Old Aug 2nd 2008, 9:48 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Manly, NSW

I hope that those of you who rubbished my posts concerning the six months of hell that we endured in Manly* saw the Ch7 news tonight.

*NSW
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Location: herts-sydney-herts-manchester...next stop mornington peninsula?
mandoz will become famous soon enoughmandoz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Manly, NSW

What did it say?
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I hope that those of you who rubbished my posts concerning the six months of hell that we endured in Manly* saw the Ch7 news tonight.

*NSW
Dammit I missed them. On the Surface from my perspective Manly looked pretty good.

So I'm curious as to what it really is like.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Hotton has a spectacular aura aboutHotton has a spectacular aura aboutHotton has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Dammit I missed them. On the Surface from my perspective Manly looked pretty good.

So I'm curious as to what it really is like.

Top place Manley if your young and single prepared for expensive
shared unit or house.
Top place Manley if you were there before the property boom
and you own a nice gaff by the sea.
Top place Manley if your a professional top earner .
Top place Manley If you like the Styne beach lifestyle.
Not to good if you are set in your ways and ready for the pipe and
slippers unless you can afford to?
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 8:49 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandoz
What did it say?
I missed the first part and came in when they were talking about the violence in the centre of Manly and what the police are doing about it. They seem to be talking mounted police at night, and having the pubs close at 2.30am - as if that would stop the ratted smashing windows and fighting, at that time of day. It does appear that at last they recognise it can't go on as it was.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Hotton has a spectacular aura aboutHotton has a spectacular aura aboutHotton has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Wol
I missed the first part and came in when they were talking about the violence in the centre of Manly and what the police are doing about it. They seem to be talking mounted police at night, and having the pubs close at 2.30am - as if that would stop the ratted smashing windows and fighting, at that time of day. It does appear that at last they recognise it can't go on as it was.
Yes there are the idiot 1% who spoil it for the rest
i
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 10:02 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hotton
Yes there are the idiot 1% who spoil it for the rest
i
The trouble has been that Manly council allowed 24 hr drinking to get the punters in from other areas where the pubs had more civilised hours so naturally the yobs came in for the night. Since they couldn't get a ferry home 'til around five they just caused havoc. Perhaps closing at 2.30 will help...
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 10:55 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
The trouble has been that Manly council allowed 24 hr drinking to get the punters in from other areas where the pubs had more civilised hours so naturally the yobs came in for the night. Since they couldn't get a ferry home 'til around five they just caused havoc. Perhaps closing at 2.30 will help...
Cant wrap this around my finger, sorry, what would they be doing pissed up between 2:30am and when the ferry starts running?
NJ
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 9:27 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by newjersey
Cant wrap this around my finger, sorry, what would they be doing pissed up between 2:30am and when the ferry starts running?
NJ
I *was* being ironic (or is it sarcastic?) <g>.

My guess is, as before; fighting each other and smashing windows, hurling in doorways etc. You know, the usual youfful activities.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wol
I *was* being ironic (or is it sarcastic?) .

My guess is, as before; fighting each other and smashing windows, hurling in doorways etc. You know, the usual youfful activities.
Just wondering what thay could doing ?
while waiting for the ferry ?drinking sex on the beach cocktails
shots
vb
pipes and slippers in the flat cocktails

I think thay should open up Humpreys newsagents 24 hours,
a good read of the trainspotter Australis while waiting for the
ferry will calm them down
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 11:17 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well, we've seen sex on the car bonnets, drug dealing and use on open display as well as the fighting and smashing up the area, so you've got it right!

Peter McDonald, the mayor, admitted to me that the council - of which he han't been a member for long - had lost control of the centre of Manly at night because of a policy of allowing 24 hr drinking and the influx of yobs from more strict suburbs.

It's a shame, because away from the Corso Manly has pleasant, quiet areas where people can go about their business without worrying about being duffed over by total strangers.

it's a relatively recent phenomenon: 20 years ago I would walk down to the Steyne and back home and never feel I had to get out of the way of groups of drunks.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

I have never seen such a miserable bunch of people than when you cross the bridge over to the north shore/beaches of Sydney. Every time I go there it seems just that little bit more hostile and pretentious. I think you did the right thing getting out.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 4:31 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I'm miserable, hostile or pretentious.

Sex'n'drugs (no rock'n'roll?) in Manly, explosive devices under cars in Lane Cove - what is this lawless place I've moved to?
Old Aug 7th 2008, 1:10 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
I don't think I'm miserable, hostile or pretentious.

Sex'n'drugs (no rock'n'roll?) in Manly, explosive devices under cars in Lane Cove - what is this lawless place I've moved to?
Ok, here is my take on things as an expat now living in Manly for the past 3 months. Like all seaside towns the world over and where there is a bar lifestyle there is an element that ruins it for others. 90% of the drinkers/dancers/eaters enjoying the late nigth hours have a great time and allow others to do the same. The other 10% have a lack of social manners and morals, but no less so than Brighton, Blackpool, Corfu or Magaluf in my opinion.
I am a 46 year guy with a young son and I actually rarely go out late (post 11pm) in Manly so I do not see these incidents. The rest of the time we feel extremely comfortable and safe in the area and love the vibe that all others of our ilk provide and enjoy. We are not miserable or up ourselves (potato potato is an extremely negative and rude poster in my opinion with no real comprehension of an objective viewpoint) or overly concerned with our wealth, which is just as well as we are certainly not wealthy or even over comfortabel!! We get by and enjoy our life here.
I would prefer Manly over Bankstown or Penrith any day and my experience so far is that this is a great family orientated place to live. If you want to be out post midnight in a seaside resort then you will have the company of drunks and youthful exhuberance to suffer, its your choice! It would be nice to say that anywhere in the world is safe to wander 24 hours a day but it is not true nor ever will be.
Another thing, I was young once, stupid, seething with testosterone and not proud of some of my drunken antics so I have been there seen it and done it. One day we all grow up and mature and learn how to behave, some earlier than others! I am not naive and have no rose tinted spectacles but I truly have enjoyed my short time here and hope to enjoy a couple more years yet!
Old Aug 7th 2008, 1:12 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
I have never seen such a miserable bunch of people than when you cross the bridge over to the north shore/beaches of Sydney. Every time I go there it seems just that little bit more hostile and pretentious. I think you did the right thing getting out.
You really are looking in the mirror aren't you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.