Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mango Sorbet Recipe

Mango Sorbet Recipe

Old Feb 1st 2005, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mango Sorbet Recipe

Hope I don't get into trouble for posting non-Australian subjects here. It's sorta Australia related...

As the mango season is slowly coming to an end in SE Queensland, here's a yummy way of preserving your favourite Kensington Pride/Bowen mangos. Per Mrs Dagboy's request in another domestic thread (washing machine poll), here's the mango sorbet recipe I love:

1 cup (250ml) water
1 cup (220g) caster sugar
500g mango flesh, fresh or frozen
1/3 cup (80ml) lemon/lime juice

1. Heat water and sugar over low heat until sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and cook for 1 minute. Let cool at room temperature before refrigerating for a 3-4 hours.

2. Blend mango flesh till smooth. (Sieve through if the mangos are very fiberous.) Refrigerate for an hour.

3. Combine syrup, mango puree and lime juice.

4. Pour mixture into ice-cream maker following manufacturer's instructions.

This recipe makes 1 litre of ice-cream when frozen.

Bon apetit,
Mrs JTL
Old Feb 1st 2005, 8:43 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Mango Sorbet Recipe

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Hope I don't get into trouble for posting non-Australian subjects here. It's sorta Australia related...

As the mango season is slowly coming to an end in SE Queensland, here's a yummy way of preserving your favourite Kensington Pride/Bowen mangos. Per Mrs Dagboy's request in another domestic thread (washing machine poll), here's the mango sorbet recipe I love:

1 cup (250ml) water
1 cup (220g) caster sugar
500g mango flesh, fresh or frozen
1/3 cup (80ml) lemon/lime juice

1. Heat water and sugar over low heat until sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and cook for 1 minute. Let cool at room temperature before refrigerating for a 3-4 hours.

2. Blend mango flesh till smooth. (Sieve through if the mangos are very fiberous.) Refrigerate for an hour.

3. Combine syrup, mango puree and lime juice.

4. Pour mixture into ice-cream maker following manufacturer's instructions.

This recipe makes 1 litre of ice-cream when frozen.

Bon apetit,
Mrs JTL

I saw that on the washing machine thread, was wondering!

Partners daughter is mad about mangoes, and partners parents have copious amounts of them, so I might have to try that one day soon
Old Feb 1st 2005, 8:49 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx MrsJTL!

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Feb 1st 2005 at 9:39 am.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 9:01 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Question Re: Mango Sorbet Recipe

Sounds delicious! But ... what to do if you don't have an ice-cream maker?

Old Feb 1st 2005, 9:05 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by ProofReader

Buy one for $40 at Kmart

or, borrow one (will be my option!)
Old Feb 1st 2005, 9:11 am
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ProofReader

Put it in any container in the freezer (an old ice-cream container is good).
Freeze for a couple of hours till it's beginning to set, then take out and beat for about 5 mins, till it's back to slush again. Return to freezer, leave for an hour, then repaet above. Do this a couple more times - and no-one will guess that you don't have all mod.cons......
Old Feb 1st 2005, 9:21 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Thank you ladies!

As I can't spare $40 at the mo, it looks like the old fashioned, RSI-inducing, hand job for me! (Sounds like a knock-back to a prostitute, doesn't it?!! )

Old Feb 1st 2005, 11:24 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

mmmm yum thanks for that - I loved mango sorbet when I was in australia and will definately try making it when I get there. the mango's in the UK are far too fibrous and stringy so will need to wait until I move to Australia to try it!

Thanks again

Lynn