Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

mandurah terrace, good for young family????

mandurah terrace, good for young family????

Old Aug 20th 2013, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

neilster72 has a brilliant futureneilster72 has a brilliant futureneilster72 has a brilliant futureneilster72 has a brilliant futureneilster72 has a brilliant futureneilster72 has a brilliant futureneilster72 has a brilliant futureneilster72 has a brilliant future
Default mandurah terrace, good for young family????

Hi there, could anyone let me know if mandurah terrace is a nice area, its at the eastern foreshore end 104-106.... In the final process of immigration and looking to settle down this way, looked at halls head, meadow springs, lakelands ect, but just seen a townhouse, new build fully furnished at this address, and its $500 p/w so was wondering if this is a nice area, we have never been to wa, so its all new and can only go on what i read and see on the internet, so any nfo would be greatly appreciated, looking for fully furnished in those regions, at least 3 bed and walking disttance to schools and shops and stuff....any info would be great....thanks...neil
Old Aug 21st 2013, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: mandurah terrace, good for young family????

Its ok. I had a look at them units. There fine. The area is more industrial and commercial, but its pretty central and fine. Personally, i think $500 is a bit steep for it. But, overall a decent place. The best curry restaurant in Mandurah is opposite.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 5:30 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with VS. it's expensive and also that's a very road.
You know is almost certain you won't be able to get a rental until you are here?
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you'd narrowed it down to Halls Head or Meadow Springs Mandurah Terrace is a main road; that particular area you mention is right slap bang in the middle of the main hotel and restaurant strip, as well as a caravan park, takeaways and pubs. A lot of foot traffic, especially late at night revellers staggering home after events and during the busy summer season. It would be an odd choice to live. Those new units (especially fully furnished) would most likely be sold to investors as holiday homes to rent out, and at $500 per week are really expensive.

Actually, I think you need to spend less time on Google Maps We didn't have the benefit of Google street view when we emigrated in 2002, but we did order a local road atlas off the internet, and tried to figure out the best suburb to live in. We didn't get too much help from this site back then regarding Mandurah itself, as not many people had heard of the place then! But when we arrived and started driving around, well it's just all completely different. It takes a while to get a "feel" for the place and even then it took a couple of years before it even started to feel like home. Everywhere was much more spread out than we'd bargained for, no walking to a set of local shops like those which are dotted about everywhere in the UK. Thankfully I drive, but your wife will appreciate living within walking distance of the nearest shopping centre, schools and bus route. We'd had Halls Head suggested to us as that seemed to be where all the Poms ended up and we hoped we would settle in all right with like-minded people around us. Then the real estate agent confused us more - she wondered why we were concentrating our sights on Halls Head only when there were so many lovely houses to choose from in other suburbs. She wanted to take us out to look at some houses in Singleton, especially as she knew my husband would be working in Perth and it would reduce the journey slightly. The prices in that area were a lot cheaper at the time. We were too wary of her intentions though (untrusting pair we were!), we felt sure she was just trying to offload a cheap house in an undesirable suburb onto us unsuspecting newly-arrived Poms to get it off her books! How wrong we were With the benefit of hindsight, we now know she was actually using her knowledge of real estate trends to guide us (and our $$$) better, and had we bought that house in Singleton, we would have done very nicely, thank you.

You can't rent anything until you arrive in Mandurah, no rental agency will be interested until you actually set foot here. You've really got to spend a good few days driving around and getting a feel for the place, it's just not the same doing it all on Google maps. It doesn't help that you will have two young children in tow either who will be bored stiff (been there, done that ). What actually is your plan for when you first arrive? You mentioned you had family/friends north of Perth I think but can't live there because of the regional restriction. Are they helping you to find your feet? Babysit the kids? What's stopping you from living with them for a couple of weeks and driving or catching the train down to Mandurah to check things out? It's less than an hour away. When we first arrived, we stayed with my sister an hour's drive south of Mandurah. We had a safe base for 6 weeks, it just meant a lot of driving back and forth but we got there in the end.