Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Manchester never?

Manchester never?

Old May 27th 2003, 12:11 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Manchester never?

Manchester is it not drugs guns ? now its the in place?
Now Leicester (Gods own place on this planet) that has to be true?

Visitors to Manchester could be forgiven for thinking they are in San Francisco - and it is not just the trams.
A report says the North West city is the UK's most creative, while its Californian counterpart wins the honour in the US.

Manchester's notoriously rainy climate is at odds with that of sun-kissed San Francisco.

But the Boho Britain creativity index said the cities were very similar when it came to attracting creative people.

Leicester and London shared second place in the UK while Bristol finished fifth, Liverpool in 17th and Newcastle/Gateshead 21st.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...330320,00.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/2938204.stm

Last edited by pommie bastard; May 27th 2003 at 12:15 am.
Old May 27th 2003, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

madmancunian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Manchester never?

Originally posted by pommie bastard

Visitors to Manchester could be forgiven for thinking they are in San Francisco - and it is not just the trams.
A report says the North West city is the UK's most creative, while its Californian counterpart wins the honour in the US.

Manchester's notoriously rainy climate is at odds with that of sun-kissed San Francisco.

But the Boho Britain creativity index said the cities were very similar when it came to attracting creative people.

Leicester and London shared second place in the UK while Bristol finished fifth, Liverpool in 17th and Newcastle/Gateshead 21st.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...330320,00.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/2938204.stm

Ahhh, PB

It's bliss here - not like boring backward Perth.

You really must come here. The sky is always blue, everyone is happy and smiling, no crime, no drugs - what a place.

Ah to be in England in the spring-time.

MM.
Old May 27th 2003, 1:08 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by madmancunian
Ahhh, PB

It's bliss here - not like boring backward Perth.

You really must come here. The sky is always blue, everyone is happy and smiling, no crime, no drugs - what a place.

Ah to be in England in the spring-time.

MM.
Did I say I agreed with this , its a Yankie index not a Brit one.
Do the Yankies know something we do not?

And while San Francisco has the University of California and Silicon Valley, Manchester has its own scientific powerhouse in UMIST.

The new league table, published by think-tank Demos, is based on a ranking system invented by American academic Richard Florida.

Last edited by pommie bastard; May 27th 2003 at 1:21 am.
Old May 27th 2003, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

Did I say I agreed with this , its a Yankie index not a Brit one.
Do the Yankies know something we do not?

And while San Francisco has the University of California and Silicon Valley, Manchester has its own scientific powerhouse in UMIST.

The new league table, published by think-tank Demos, is based on a ranking system invented by American academic Richard Florida.

UMIST - a scientific powerhouse? ROFL.

My wife used to work there - a powerhouse (scientific or otherwise) it is not! Dream on.

MM.
Old May 27th 2003, 1:26 am
Banned

UMIST - a scientific powerhouse? ROFL.

My wife used to work there - a powerhouse (scientific or otherwise) it is not! Dream on.

MM.

Sorry to hear you have a such low opinion of your wife?

http://www.umist.ac.uk/

Old May 27th 2003, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

Sorry to hear you have a such low opinion of your wife?
http://www.umist.ac.uk/
No she is and was in UMIST - a 'diamond in the rough'.

I see you're still pretending to be a grown-up and using daddy's computer? You really ought to stop wasting time - and go out and get a job.

Goto dash - way past my bedtime.

You've been living in Aus to long - I think you are in permanent 'dreamtime'.

You should come and live in Canal Street - I think it would suit you down to a tee.

MM.

Last edited by madmancunian; May 27th 2003 at 1:37 am.
Old May 27th 2003, 1:36 am
Banned

No she is and was in UMIST - a 'diamond in the rough'.

I see you're still pretending to be a grown-up and using daddy's computer? You really ought to stop wasting time - and go out and get a job.

Goto dash - way past my bedtime.

You've been living in Aus to long - I think you are in permanent 'dreamtime'.

MM.
Got one not that interesting though ( auto motive R&D is shite in Australia must get back to the aero -space in the UK)), looking at a move this will do , bit along the lines of last job in the UK.

The Government is giving up to £86 million to a navigation research project which could create as many as 1,000 new jobs in the UK.

The money will fund a quarter of the European Space Agency's Galileo programme.

It aims to improve air and traffic management and reduce pollution.

Satellite manufacturing companies and small supply firms in the UK are expected to win new contracts as a result of the research.

PS "You should come and live in Canal Street - I think it would suit you " , I thought you hung around the town of Sydney much the same?

Last edited by pommie bastard; May 27th 2003 at 1:40 am.
Old May 27th 2003, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

ROFLMAO

I've not laughed so much in ages! Everytime I re-read this post it sends me into hysterics.
Old May 27th 2003, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

smithjez is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a GP in Manchester city centre + trained in Leicster and I much prefer M'ter- it's more cosmopolitan,the people really friendly and the gay scene's fantastic.OK its not got the greenery that Leics has but you're only 1hr away from yorkshire + the Lakes if U like the outdoor life.
Guns? yeah U get them in all major cities including Sydney but U never see gun battles on the streets + i've never been mugged in my 7yrs here.
Old May 27th 2003, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

garywarby is an unknown quantity at this point

Yorkshire!! Be careful us native Mancs will not go to the darkside for greenery, I would rather sit in Heaton Park if I want greenery!
Old May 27th 2003, 7:58 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by GetMeOutOfHere
ROFLMAO

I've not laughed so much in ages! Everytime I re-read this post it sends me into hysterics.

All I can say is about 16 yrs ago I stayed at the the Hall of residence (formerly YMCA) by Mosside Manchester when visiting a friend, it scared the living daylights out of me and I've never been back!

Paula
Old May 27th 2003, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

garywarby is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, still the same! Add a few more areas now Longsight, Levenshulme, Moston all as bad really! Oh well, 3 weeks and who gives a shit!
Old May 28th 2003, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

The lakes are good but can get a little crowded on bank holiday weekends - better to dash up the M6 to scotland - much prettier.

But really, looking for greenery in Manc.? Try some of the more dodgy curries in Rusholme. If it isn't green coming in - it will be green going out!

MM

P.S. PB, you seem to have a problem with anything Alf Garnett would have a go at - Gays, Blacks, Asians, etc - I think it's time you saw a (child) psychologist before your odd obsessive behaviour leads to real trouble when you become an adult.

Last edited by madmancunian; May 28th 2003 at 1:21 am.
Old May 28th 2003, 11:34 pm
Banned

The lakes are good but can get a little crowded on bank holiday weekends - better to dash up the M6 to scotland - much prettier.

But really, looking for greenery in Manc.? Try some of the more dodgy curries in Rusholme. If it isn't green coming in - it will be green going out!

MM

P.S. PB, you seem to have a problem with anything Alf Garnett would have a go at - Gays, Blacks, Asians, etc - I think it's time you saw a (child) psychologist before your odd obsessive behaviour leads to real trouble when you become an adult.
Not another child abuser are you?
Have worked with all kinds in Australia and the only refugees that are trouble are them from the North West of England.

Old May 29th 2003, 12:31 am
Pommie_Bastard

Too many enthusiastic amateurs encroaching on my nightly activities as is is.