Manchester

Old Oct 3rd 2003, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Kenand Nel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Manchester

Can someone please tell me why Australians call the bedding / linen department at the store Manchester???

Ken
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 10:24 am

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of
Default Re: Manchester

Originally posted by Kenand Nel
Can someone please tell me why Australians call the bedding / linen department at the store Manchester???

Ken

Do you think it has something to do with all the Cotton mills that made linen in Manchester that was then shipped out to Australia?
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it was originally slang, because all the cotton mills etc. were in Manchester. Not sure if thats right just somthing I once read.

Cinderella beat me to it.

Last edited by karawara88; Oct 3rd 2003 at 10:37 am.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 10:44 am

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Originally posted by karawara88
I think it was originally slang, because all the cotton mills etc. were in Manchester. Not sure if thats right just somthing I once read.

Cinderella beat me to it.

Must have been, because department stoes used to have a 'Manchester' section, where you would find linen, cottons etc.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 12:28 pm
NZ 2004 ... Inshallah

robernelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Ken
Nothing to do with bed linen getting dirty and smelly then. Or maybe they feel that section is just highly overrated
?
Rob
Old Mar 24th 2004, 12:34 am
Just Joined

ianmcalder is an unknown quantity at this point

Ken
The reason they call it Manchester is this:

In the early 1900 when ships were bringiing supplies to the colonies, the bundles of supplies from Manchester (which in its day was the hub of the British Cotton industry) were mainly cotton products. These were wrapped in huge hessian bundles with the City of origin marked clearly on them. Thus, almost all bundles marked 'MANCHESTER' contained cotton products. Due the this fact, the word Manchester became inextricably linked to Cotton products and was embedded firmly into the Australian language.

I hope this puts your mind at ease.

Ian
Old Mar 24th 2004, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

buglegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by cinderella
Do you think it has something to do with all the Cotton mills that made linen in Manchester that was then shipped out to Australia?

....correct
BG
Old Mar 24th 2004, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by cinderella

Do you think they should call the hub cap and car radio dept "LIVERPOOL"
Old Mar 24th 2004, 8:17 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Yep NZ is the same I spent ages in Kmart trying to figure out what 25% off Manchester meant but decided seen as all the signs were around the bedding it meant that
Old Mar 24th 2004, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

ScuntoBris will become famous soon enough

My Australian Uncle asked what do people in Manchester call Manchester?
Old Mar 24th 2004, 8:56 am

Originally posted by ScuntoBris
My Australian Uncle asked what do people in Manchester call Manchester?

Linen, bedding something like that. Noboy I know here uses the word manchester.