Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Maltreatment of Aussie Native Wildlife?

Maltreatment of Aussie Native Wildlife?

Old May 26th 2004, 6:39 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Maltreatment of Aussie Native Wildlife?

Just opened a pack of Anzac biscuits and noticed the label: apparently they emanate from 'Emu Bottom Homestead'. Not only that, but the picture on the packet appears to show a bloke mooning while wrestling with an indeterminate object that might be an emu!

Blimey!

Anya.

(Actually, it reminded me of the brand of yoghurt in the US called 'Fruit on the Bottom' that my son always used to giggle at.)
Old May 26th 2004, 7:37 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Maltreatment of Aussie Native Wildlife?

Originally posted by anya4oz
Just opened a pack of Anzac biscuits and noticed the label: apparently they emanate from 'Emu Bottom Homestead'. Not only that, but the picture on the packet appears to show a bloke mooning while wrestling with an indeterminate object that might be an emu!

Blimey!

Anya.

(Actually, it reminded me of the brand of yoghurt in the US called 'Fruit on the Bottom' that my son always used to giggle at.)

Coon Cheese was the one I laughed at when I moved to Oz, I thought no way would they get away with that in Birmingham.
Old May 26th 2004, 10:32 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Bordy
Coon Cheese was the one I laughed at when I moved to Oz, I thought no way would they get away with that in Birmingham.
Do you have Coon cheese in your fridge yet? You're not an Aussie unless you have Coon cheese in your fridge.

Can you recite the Vegemite song yet?
Old May 26th 2004, 10:39 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Reminds me of a gift a salesman brought to me after travelling in Thailand a few years ago.

It was a legit tube of toothpaste called "Darkie" and on the box was a blackman dressed with top hat and tails.

Wonder if they still do that one.
Old May 27th 2004, 2:04 am
I'm an individual!

Centurix is an unknown quantity at this point

Coon is actually the factory owners last name. They have a great cheese factory on the south coast of NSW, well worth a visit. There's two towns worth visiting, Bega and Eden. Great cheese.
Old May 27th 2004, 2:16 am
wombat42

A few years ago an Aboriginal group threatened to take them them court if they did'nt change their name, but they failed,
and its still called Coon cheese.

Old May 27th 2004, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

we actually have some "Tasty Coon" in our fridge.

The other day in a sandwich shop a punter asked the owner what the cheese was in his sandwiches and he said "tasty". As opposed to what ?

I'm going to differ with the previous poster and say by and large aussie cheese is pants in comparison with a european equivalent, and frankly none of it stacks up to a good french cheese.
Old May 27th 2004, 4:20 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by RichS
we actually have some "Tasty Coon" in our fridge.

The other day in a sandwich shop a punter asked the owner what the cheese was in his sandwiches and he said "tasty". As opposed to what ?

I'm going to differ with the previous poster and say by and large aussie cheese is pants in comparison with a european equivalent, and frankly none of it stacks up to a good french cheese.
Agreed. Australian cheese is nothing special.
Old May 27th 2004, 4:56 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey!

Anya.

like this ?
Attached Thumbnails Maltreatment of Aussie Native Wildlife?-emu-bottom.gif  
Old May 27th 2004, 6:38 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
like this ?
Sure is! What IS that man doing? And why is he doing it bare-assed? And do the Australian SPCA know what he's up to?

Jolly nice biscuits, though (and I'm not much of a biscuit eater).

Anya.
Old May 27th 2004, 6:43 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Originally posted by Ulujain
Agreed. Australian cheese is nothing special.

Ooooooh, not so. And we are *fussy* cheese eaters (lived in the desert cheese-wise during all the time in the US!).

On a recent visit to Melbourne my waistline took a severe bashing from consumption of the following:

Tassie blue (in round blue/white packet) - excellent.
'Extra sharp' (in red shiny packet - not sure of brand) was equiv to UK farmhouse cheddar & also very good.

In our exp, Safeways have good cheese counters, and bigger Safeways have very good ones.

Believe me, the 2 important food things we checked out asap in Oz were:

Can you get good coffee?
Can you get good cheese?

Yes to both. So that's OK then

Anya.

Last edited by anya4oz; May 27th 2004 at 6:54 am.
Old May 27th 2004, 6:48 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

And how did the Aussie Wines go down with that cheese ???
Old May 27th 2004, 6:58 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Sure is! What IS that man doing? And why is he doing it bare-assed? And do the Australian SPCA know what he's up to?

Anya.
My guess is that they're shearing sheap.
Not sure why they look naked though, tight pants?

Old May 27th 2004, 7:05 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

And how did the Aussie Wines go down with that cheese ???
Very well! Of especial note was the Mornington Diamond Valley Pinot Noir (recommended by the waiter in a S Yarra restaurant).

Anya.
Old May 27th 2004, 7:07 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Originally posted by Simone
My guess is that they're shearing sheap.
Not sure why they look naked though, tight pants?

Oooooh, don't mention men in tight pants this time in the morning, Simone - not good for my blood pressure

Anya.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.