Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

malaysia stop over

malaysia stop over

Old Dec 16th 2003, 9:51 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Perth
Posts: 39
tetley101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default malaysia stop over

On the way over to Perth we are scheduled to stop over at KL for a couple of days.

We were hoping to pick up some bargain electrical goods as i here it is good for shopping.

Does anyone know if there are any compatability issues etc

Tetley
tetley101 is offline  
Old Dec 16th 2003, 9:57 am
  #2  
Ex Mod (2002-2005)
 
ptlabs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: NSW
Posts: 5,464
ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: malaysia stop over

Originally posted by tetley
On the way over to Perth we are scheduled to stop over at KL for a couple of days.

We were hoping to pick up some bargain electrical goods as i here it is good for shopping.

Does anyone know if there are any compatability issues etc

Tetley
Tetley,

Most electrical equipment from Malaysia will work in Australia - with the exception of possibly televisions and CRT computer monitors and anything with a CRT.

You will need to get a conversion plug from the Malaysia three-pin flat type to the Aussie type.

Have fun gadget shopping! Do note that Malaysia has a high rate of credit card fraud - so use cash if you can. Most shops will not give a decent exchange rate if you use foreign currency, so exchange your notes before you hit the stores.

Peter
ptlabs is offline  
Old Dec 16th 2003, 10:14 am
  #3  
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 11,149
bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Even KL duty free shops has been used by CC fraudsters. Some card providers in the UK replaced all cards used there just in case. I have not heard many good things about KL however if you have time try and get a trip to the Teman Negarra national park in the jungle. Melacca is also a Malaysia highlight not too far from KL.
bondipom is offline  
Old Dec 16th 2003, 10:20 am
  #4  
Ex Mod (2002-2005)
 
ptlabs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: NSW
Posts: 5,464
ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Originally posted by bondipom
Even KL duty free shops has been used by CC fraudsters. Some card providers in the UK replaced all cards used there just in case. I have not heard many good things about KL however if you have time try and get a trip to the Teman Negarra national park in the jungle. Melacca is also a Malaysia highlight not too far from KL.
Teman Negarra -> National Companion
Sorry, I just couldn't resist. It's actually "Taman Negara".

Melaka/Malacca is pretty interesting interesting, but it's a couple of hours' bus ride away from KL.

Again, I would use cash (ringgit) instead of credit card in Malaysia.

Peter
ptlabs is offline  
Old Dec 16th 2003, 11:46 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 96
THYE.A. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: malaysia stop over

Originally posted by tetley
On the way over to Perth we are scheduled to stop over at KL for a couple of days.

We were hoping to pick up some bargain electrical goods as i here it is good for shopping.

Does anyone know if there are any compatability issues etc

Tetley
Tetley,

make sure that you bargain , and bargain, and bargain.

What sort of electrical goods you have in mind ?

Low Yat Plaza is a good place to buy computer related goods with good price.
THYE.A. is offline  
Old Dec 16th 2003, 12:03 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 70
scottm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

I agree with THYE.A., go to Low Yat Plaza, on the fourth floor you will find all the pc hardware, all the software, dvd movies, pc games, prices are about 5 ringgit per disc for software and games and 10-15 ringgit for dvd's




Scottm.
scottm is offline  
Old Dec 16th 2003, 12:32 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Perth
Posts: 39
tetley101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Thanks for the tips. I would have deffinately used the credit card.

We are shipping quite a lot of stuff over.

also consciuos of the limit we can bring into oz, isn't it a couple of thousand ozzy dollar of goods less than a year

probably concentrate on video and digital camera. to keep up contact with the family back home.:scared:

and depending if mrs tetley loosens her grip on the budget

dvd's, nintendo games and if we really do spot a bargain maybe a laptop. this maybe dreaming a little
tetley101 is offline  
Old Dec 16th 2003, 3:49 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 96
THYE.A. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Originally posted by tetley
Thanks for the tips. I would have deffinately used the credit card.

We are shipping quite a lot of stuff over.

also consciuos of the limit we can bring into oz, isn't it a couple of thousand ozzy dollar of goods less than a year

probably concentrate on video and digital camera. to keep up contact with the family back home.:scared:

and depending if mrs tetley loosens her grip on the budget

dvd's, nintendo games and if we really do spot a bargain maybe a laptop. this maybe dreaming a little
If you buy DV or digital camera in Malaysia,the street price as you probably can expect , is lower that the published price by the manufacturer.Pls only buy those models that you have done research on.

Many of the shops here, as well as those in HK, Singapore, after selling you the main item which you have checked the price else where, will persuade you to purchase the accessory/related products which you do not know the price, and rip you off.Be careful.THey also like to give free gift and tell you how much the free gift will cost, which actually does not cost that much.

AS far as laptop is concerned, unless you buy the branded like Dell, HP etc, others will usually install you with pirated software free of charge.Go to Low Yat Plaza for laptop.

Hope that helps.
THYE.A. is offline  
Old Dec 16th 2003, 8:42 pm
  #9  
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 11,149
bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Originally posted by ptlabs
Teman Negarra -> National Companion
Sorry, I just couldn't resist. It's actually "Taman Negara".

Melaka/Malacca is pretty interesting interesting, but it's a couple of hours' bus ride away from KL.

Again, I would use cash (ringgit) instead of credit card in Malaysia.

Peter
I had better get a Bahasa Malay dictionary next time.

You can bring in up to 10,000AUD cash without having to notfy customs.
bondipom is offline  
Old Dec 16th 2003, 9:47 pm
  #10  
Judy&Alun
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Glenfield,Auckland
Posts: 36
Dodsonfamily has a brilliant futureDodsonfamily has a brilliant futureDodsonfamily has a brilliant futureDodsonfamily has a brilliant futureDodsonfamily has a brilliant futureDodsonfamily has a brilliant future
Default

If you haven't already booked a hotel my husband can highly recomend the concord inn,it has a shuttle bus to and from the airport.
Dodsonfamily is offline  
Old Dec 17th 2003, 9:59 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Perth
Posts: 39
tetley101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Originally posted by Dodsonfamily
If you haven't already booked a hotel my husband can highly recomend the concord inn,it has a shuttle bus to and from the airport.

thanks for this, we would deffinately like to take advantage of free shuttle service from the airport but the location is maybe a bit far out of the city.

I have seen some really nice hotels in the centre with very reasonable rates for *****
tetley101 is offline  
Old Dec 17th 2003, 10:08 am
  #12  
Ex Mod (2002-2005)
 
ptlabs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: NSW
Posts: 5,464
ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Originally posted by tetley
thanks for this, we would deffinately like to take advantage of free shuttle service from the airport but the location is maybe a bit far out of the city.
Quite true. The Kuala Lumpur International Airport is no where near KL. It's actually in another state altogether.

Peter
ptlabs is offline  
Old Dec 17th 2003, 10:33 am
  #13  
Oz bound I hope
 
EricB's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Nr Nottingham
Posts: 82
EricB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Originally posted by ptlabs
Quite true. The Kuala Lumpur International Airport is no where near KL. It's actually in another state altogether.

Peter
Most hotels in KL run a taxi or Limo service. Rates are very cheap ( for the 2 hour drive from Airport it cost us about 30 quid ) and you have someone waiting there for you. Email your hotel for details.

You may want to try Sungei Wang Plaza for a good mix of indoor Market stalls /lock ups (allow a couple of days!) and also Imbi plaza next door (down the hill, entrance round the corner) for computer goods. I wasn't impressed by the Petronas centre -too much of designer names you can see anywhere, though the food hall was good.

We were told to take US dollars to KL. This proved to be NOT the case. Lost a packet getting them changed again. We used cards a lot but there are places that can't take them.
EricB is offline  
Old Dec 17th 2003, 10:37 am
  #14  
Oz bound I hope
 
EricB's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Nr Nottingham
Posts: 82
EricB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

http://www.renaissance-kul.com/

Cheap, Good quality, Central, and has Limo service.
EricB is offline  
Old Dec 17th 2003, 11:48 am
  #15  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Perth
Posts: 39
tetley101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Originally posted by EricB
http://www.renaissance-kul.com/

Cheap, Good quality, Central, and has Limo service.

sounds good, i'll give them a call now

thanks eric
tetley101 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.